DIY Earbuds
Nov 15, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,281 of 4,714
It all depends on the quality (purity) of the copper.... 8-core ... skip

Agree. A $ 30 cable paired with a $ 5 earbuds is not so reasonable.

About skipping 8-core cables, is it due to the thickness?

Thank you!
Some good/cheap DIY parts for cables: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/900235423

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,282 of 4,714
Agree. A $ 30 cable paired with a $ 5 earbuds is not so resonable.

About skipping 8-core cables, is it due to the thickness?
Thank you!
Some good/cheap DIY parts for cables: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/900235423

Pinouts of 2.5mm balanced plug have very little space for soldering. You have 8 wires that you need to solder on 4 pins, so you have to pre-connect two wires into one for each channel, which will increase their thickness and the contact surface itself, which makes soldering much more difficult, and you also have to take into account when connecting other parts that the inner wires do not touch or separate. IMHO it's more profitable to buy pre-made 8-core cable rather than lose nerve.
And I'm not even going to talk about the 16-core cable, it's a nightmare. And I think it is overkill for earbuds.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,283 of 4,714
Pinouts of 2.5mm balanced plug have very little space for soldering. You have 8 wires that you need to solder on 4 pins, so you have to pre-connect two wires into one for each channel, which will increase their thickness and the contact surface itself, which makes soldering much more difficult, and you also have to take into account when connecting other parts that the inner wires do not touch or separate. IMHO it's more profitable to buy pre-made 8-core cable rather than lose nerve.
And I'm not even going to talk about the 16-core cable, it's a nightmare. And I think it is overkill for earbuds.
More info about a different type of plugs https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-jacks-plugs-explained/

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #2,284 of 4,714
Hi can you guys recommend me any drivers that is 15.4mm and is slightly warm with wide soundstage and good details.
I have tried the purple 600ohms driver, it is warm enough and soundstage is okay but the detail is lacking (plugged into my topping a90 amp so not under-amped for sure). Any other drivers would you guys recommend?
Looking for a jazzy/soul/funkish sound. but other recommendation is appreciated. thanks.

Edit/Addition: I have tried simphonio dragon 2+ and would love a similar driver with soundstage and detail but abit more bass.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,285 of 4,714
Hi can you guys recommend me any drivers that is 15.4mm and is slightly warm with wide soundstage and good details.
I have tried the purple 600ohms driver, it is warm enough and soundstage is okay but the detail is lacking (plugged into my topping a90 amp so not under-amped for sure). Any other drivers would you guys recommend?
Looking for a jazzy/soul/funkish sound. but other recommendation is appreciated. thanks.

Edit/Addition: I have tried simphonio dragon 2+ and would love a similar driver with soundstage and detail but abit more bass.
You already tried one of the best DIY drivers. 400ohm graphene driver didn't have a low end as 600ohm beryllium. PK1 "red coat" is another good DIY driver (14.8mm)
but I doubt that could satisfy your needs. Simphonio dragon 2+ is Hi-End bud, I don't believe that any of these DIY drivers can compare to it in terms of sound quality.
Try to ask in Earbuds Round-up thread. You have a powerful amp and some high impedance buds will be a good choice.
Have you perhaps looked at the new Fiio EM5 model?

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,286 of 4,714
You already tried one of the best DIY drivers. 400ohm graphene driver didn't have a low end as 600ohm beryllium. PK1 "red coat" is another good DIY driver (14.8mm)
but I doubt that could satisfy your needs. Simphonio dragon 2+ is Hi-End bud, I don't believe that any of these DIY drivers can compare to it in terms of sound quality.
Try to ask in Earbuds Round-up thread. You have a powerful amp and some high impedance buds will be a good choice.
Have you perhaps looked at the new Fiio EM5 model?
Thankyou my next earbud is either ath cm2000ti or fiio em5. But I really like the process of making my own earbud, I will try the other drivers thankyou so much!!

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,287 of 4,714
Thankyou my next earbud is either ath cm2000ti or fiio em5. But I really like the process of making my own earbud, I will try the other drivers thankyou so much!!
We all love that :dt880smile: Modding of buds is a really an interesting hobby for sure.
Unfortunately, DIY drivers are not produced as often as branded headphones. earphones. IEM's are another story
If you decide to buy Fiio, don't forget to share some impressions :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #2,288 of 4,714

130ohm beryllium, if you haven't tried the 400ohms are my favorite, the 600ohm had very little details up top(rolled off at 15kz) they are not bad but the 130ohms have the best highs

The 64 ohm ti for $12-15 are also really good in the lows, highs and mids

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #2,289 of 4,714
130ohm beryllium, if you haven't tried the 400ohms are my favorite, the 600ohm had very little details up top(rolled off at 15kz) they are not bad but the 130ohms have the best highs

The 64 ohm ti for $12-15 are also really good in the lows, highs and mids

I have tried the 130ohm they are on the brighter side compared top the 600ohms but the bass and soundstage is lacking for me. The 400ohm that you are talking about is it the blue rim graphite driver? will also give the 64-ti driver wa try .Thankyou so much!

We all love that :dt880smile: Modding of buds is a really an interesting hobby for sure.
Unfortunately, DIY drivers are not produced as often as branded headphones. earphones. IEM's are another story
If you decide to buy Fiio, don't forget to share some impressions :beerchug:
will do, infact if I get a chance to demo/audition the em5 I will give you an update.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2,290 of 4,714
I have tried the 130ohm they are on the brighter side compared top the 600ohms but the bass and soundstage is lacking for me. The 400ohm that you are talking about is it the blue rim graphite driver? will also give the 64-ti driver wa try .Thankyou so much!

will do, infact if I get a chance to demo/audition the em5 I will give you an update.
What kind of tuning foams/papers are you using? And are you trying any housing mods?
My 130ohms don't lack in bass but they are a bit more v shaped then my 400ohms

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #2,291 of 4,714
Hi Friends, glad to see everyone still active building stuff and helping each other to get into this dangerous hobby. :ksc75smile:
I bought this 300 Ohm driver, after thinking back and forth, finally decided to pull the trigger. I put it in the usual MX500 housing, removed the foam on the driver and put a new pair of foam on the housing. Used standard twisted pair cable, which according to the seller is a silver plated cable (SPC). Ran it through approx. 24 hours (not continuous) with pink noise, random music on my playlist.

My impression on this pair: It reminds me of a full range speaker. Very intact, very good texture from midbass to lower treble, but not much extension into the deep bass or the high treble. The overall sound is not offensive, I agree with @furyossa below. However, I feel they are lacking in resolution and clarity.

Do I:
1. Let it burn in some more, considering some say SPC needs 50-100 hours to sound best.
2. Do some kind of tuning, for example the cotton tuning on drivers holes, or any suggestion please feel free to share.
3. Change the cable to a good copper cable? I don't like the current SPC since it holds its shape too much, it gets tangly and overall not really nice.

Hehehe thanks a lot guys.

This is my most tortured earbuds 300ohm N52. Mids are recessed but still, the sound is very fun (V-shape) and specious with good bass and smooth treble.
I love this set a lot, the bass guitar sounds amazing, drams also. When you increasing volume, vocals open up nicely, and besides that, the overall sound is not offensive.
This is the main advantage of high impedance drivers. On LG7 only 50% volume is quite enough for normal listening but I still recommend a good amp

Attachments

• 9A71BD98-95FE-420B-831D-6128A2435F9D.jpeg
    9A71BD98-95FE-420B-831D-6128A2435F9D.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2FAFD6DC-9CB8-41D2-AD1F-75C33572C369.jpeg
    2FAFD6DC-9CB8-41D2-AD1F-75C33572C369.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #2,293 of 4,714
What kind of tuning foams/papers are you using? And are you trying any housing mods?
My 130ohms don't lack in bass but they are a bit more v shaped then my 400ohms
Its not lacking bass but I want more bads and more warmness in bass. The 130 ohm is more detailed than the 600 (maybe because of brightness?) to my ears but the soundstage is alot wider on the 600ohms.
the housing and foam pad I used is in the picture.
AA3887C9-C140-46CC-9949-F1A5722A4ED2.jpeg

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #2,294 of 4,714
another question on the 130ohm driver. Theres soldering iron on the “lf” and “hf” what are those? Can I try to solder the wire to it? Or should I remove those solder or just leave them be? Thanks
7B250383-4583-4780-A76D-ED58EE686FF0.jpeg

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #2,295 of 4,714
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Liht
Back