DIY Earbuds
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #2,266 of 4,717
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,268 of 4,717
Anyone would know what is the driver used by the MX500 DIY from Fengru?
I damaged mine yesterday.

By the way, is there a budge driver with improved clarity?
Are the praised 19-21 a good replacement?
(http://aliexpress.com/item/4000281063945.html)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #2,269 of 4,717
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #2,270 of 4,717
Anyone would know what is the driver used by the MX500 DIY from Fengru?
I damaged mine yesterday.

By the way, is there a budge driver with improved clarity?
Are the praised 19-21 a good replacement?
(http://aliexpress.com/item/4000281063945.html)
What have you done with your MX500 driver? Some DIY kinds of stuff?
I think that @robar has a 19-21kHz driver.
You don't see so often DIY driver with freq. range 19-21kHz and low sensitivity below 100dB (like headphones).

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #2,271 of 4,717
"Brand Name: FENGRU" is written at the SPECIFICATIONS of this page.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983216125.html

"15.4MM flat head MX500 speaker, high performance N52 strong magnetic, coil impedance 32 ohms, imported Japan Toray PET transparent polymer polymer film with copper ring, diaphragm deliberately easy to push and not sag damaged" :wink:

You don't see so often DIY driver with freq. range 19-21kHz and low sensitivity below 100dB (like headphones).

Removed the coil from one side... :frowning2:

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,272 of 4,717
"15.4MM flat head MX500 speaker, high performance N52 strong magnetic, coil impedance 32 ohms, imported Japan Toray PET transparent polymer polymer film with copper ring, diaphragm deliberately easy to push and not sag damaged" :wink:

Removed the coil from one side... :frowning2:
That's the spirit. First time or?
It often happens to me when it comes to a good driver, and I don't have a any problem with a cheap one. Probably they use less glue:beerchug:

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,273 of 4,717
That's the spirit. First time or?
It often happens to me when it comes to a good driver, and I don't have a any problem with a cheap one. Probably they use less glue:beerchug:

Yeah. That was the first time... I was expecting that problem.

I will try some budge DIYs before any serious move... :wink:

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,274 of 4,717
Yeah. That was the first time... I was expecting that problem.

I will try some budge DIYs before any serious move... :wink:
Are you read my last attempt to do the same. I don't care if is expensive as much as it sounds good and worth playing with it. I destroy the shell of BGVP DX5 (fortunately
driver works) but I don't care as much as the HE150 which is 5 times cheaper but is rare to find and it sounds IMHO 5 times better.
If you do not have the Pro version and you love good soundstage and sub-bass this is my recommendation.
It looks like the original 100%. I bought mine on Penon Audio but they are no longer in stock. The package is so poor, a plain carton box, and pouch.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,275 of 4,717
I have 5 pairs :) Balanced, slightly U-shaped sound, tight deep bass and extended treble. The sound is more dynamic with better extension compared to any other similarly priced model. Very easy to drive and don't distort. For me it's the price-performance champion.

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #2,277 of 4,717
got the DIY m2 pro parts indiviudally with the black gold driver, has to be the highest detail IEM I own so far, the 1more e1008 of course still beats it in some ways due to the peizio driver, but definitely good value, got the pk shell 120 ohm beryllium driver coming, let me know how those compare if you know.

I own the m2 pro with the black gold driver. It is indeed a good set among my other buds.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,278 of 4,717
I agree, I also have RY-C10 and it's nice, cklewis and NSC also has nice cheap cables. Anyways, I think we're talking in the wrong thread haha :D
@rprodrigues
The basic mx500 set and 19-21 driver creates a nice, tight, slightly analytical sound, and I believe you will be able to play around a lot with the vents and tuning foams with good success. I have a new build with these drivers, based on the bundled type of mx500 and some vent mod, will share it soon. It has a fun, smoother, warmer sound with punchy midbass, very enjoyable as well.

My bad!
Sorry for the wrong thread.

You have studied this driver the best so far. I haven't had a chance to get it, but I believe it's really good.

If you didn't plan to build the cable from scratch RY Earphone Store has a nice collection of light and cheap cable for DIY.
I own RY-c10, c11,c12,c15, and not have any problem for now.

I thought some cables could give any noticeable improvement when paired with cheap MX500 drivers.
Since I have some spare cheap SPC wires, cable dividers, and 2.5mm balanced connectors, I will build some cables instead.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #2,279 of 4,717
I thought some cables could give me noticeable improvements when paired with cheap MX500 drivers.
Since I have some spare cheap SPC wires, cable dividers, and 2.5mm balanced connectors, I will build some cables instead.
It all depends on the quality (purity) of the copper, but it also causes a big increase in price.
On the other hand, no matter how good the wire is, you will hardly notice any difference with DIY drivers or any cheap driver.
As you already know silver has better conductivity than copper.
Many suggest using copper cables if you want better bass performance and silver for the details.
For DIY drivers in most cases, the pure silver cable is a good choice but is rare to find it below $30.
Also, pure copper, OFC above 5N purity, or OCC is not cheap. So silver-plated copper is, in this case, the most favorable variant.
Now about balanced cables and earphones. balanced cables = less noise + power
As for the sound quality (noise reduction), again, it's hard to tell the difference, especially with low impedance drivers.
If you have a decent balanced AMP/DAC (2.5mm or 4.4mm output), they certainly benefit drivers with high impedance.
If you haven't build balanced cables yet try with 4-core first. 8-core ... skip

Nov 14, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,280 of 4,717

Users who are viewing this thread

Back