DIY Earbuds
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,251 of 4,722
While I'm not an authority on the exact proper techniques, this is what works well for me
Based on your comments, we can see that you are an expert in this, but you are too modest to admit it :beerchug:

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #2,252 of 4,722
Has anyone here already modded the stock cable of TP16 to balanced?
The same question to Tomahawk.

I can't figure out, by external inspection, if its stock cable has 3 or 4 cores...

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,253 of 4,722
Has anyone here already modded the stock cable of TP16 to balanced?
The same question to Tomahawk.

I can't figure out, by external inspection, if its stock cable has 3 or 4 cores...
In most cases stock cable has 4 cores: one wire for left (L+) and one wire for right (R+) channel and 2 wires for ground (2 x G).
In the case of (2.5mm plug) balanced cable 2 wires for ground are L- and R-.
2_5mm%2BTRRS%2Bpinout.jpg

Another is 4.4mm plug PENTACONN
4_4mm%2BSony%2BPentaconn%2BConnector%2BPinout%2BHeadphones.jpg

Use a multimeter to determine which pinouts on the inside (where soldering is performed) match the outside.
Also, this is useful info "Pinouts for DIY"

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,254 of 4,722
Need HEELLPPP
Just finished recabling my earbuds. Only the right earbud works. What do I do? THere's like oxidation in the driver of the left one. Did I f'ed up?

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #2,256 of 4,722
Sorry... can't at the moment. Tried everything. I think I overheated the driver or diaphragm or whatever part breaks when too much heat is applied. Good thing that it was on my Vidos, though I broke a perfectly working pair of buds which I really enjoyed.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #2,257 of 4,722
Sorry... can't at the moment. Tried everything. I think I overheated the driver or diaphragm or whatever part breaks when too much heat is applied. Good thing that it was on my Vidos, though I broke a perfectly working pair of buds which I really enjoyed.
"Welcome to the club" :beerchug: Now will know what can cause problems next time.
A great experience is gained with such mistakes, so "don't worry be happy".
At least you tried with a cheap pair. Modding is a risky business, but that is the charm.
If it's any consolation, every time I make a bad move , I take a short break and watch a motivational video,
something like this one.
I am currently planning to take some used pair of Grado SR80e and try to mod it.
This model is perfect for experimentation

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #2,258 of 4,722
"Welcome to the club" :beerchug: Now will know what can cause problems next time.
A great experience is gained with such mistakes, so "don't worry be happy".
At least you tried with a cheap pair. Modding is a risky business, but that is the charm.
If it's any consolation, every time I make a bad move , I take a short break and watch a motivational video,
something like this one.
I am currently planning to take some used pair of Grado SR80e and try to mod it.
This model is perfect for experimentation

I have got the sr80e, great pair, I haven't modded mine, but once I have the proper tools, I plan on making some cups...

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #2,259 of 4,722
I have got the sr80e, great pair, I haven't modded mine, but once I have the proper tools, I plan on making some cups...
Probably because you're happy with how the original sounds :slight_smile:
There is a lot of things that can be so fun to do:
- Cups (aluminum or wood) - they suggested that the cup need to be shorter with a sparse mesh
- MMCX will be a nice addition
- Headband with more padding etc.
Also, the 2K peak will be difficult to solve.
Apart from separating the glued parts, this would probably be the most demanding task.

The other pair I'm also interested in, even more than Grado, is Sennheiser HD25 Light.
It's a cheaper version of HD25, same driver, with a simpler headband and 2-side cable which is ideal for a balanced version.
The most important thing is that it can be easily disassembled (no glued parts) and there are many aftermarket mods for it.
Customcans are very good but LOCENOISE is another level for sure

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #2,260 of 4,722
Probably because you're happy with how the original sounds :slight_smile:
There is a lot of things that can be so fun to do:
- Cups (aluminum or wood) - they suggested that the cup need to be shorter with a sparse mesh
- MMCX will be a nice addition
- Headband with more padding etc.
Also, the 2K peak will be difficult to solve.
Apart from separating the glued parts, this would probably be the most demanding task.

The other pair I'm also interested in, even more than Grado, is Sennheiser HD25 Light.
It's a cheaper version of HD25, same driver, with a simpler headband and 2-side cable which is ideal for a balanced version.
The most important thing is that it can be easily disassembled (no glued parts) and there are many aftermarket mods for it.
Customcans are very good but LOCENOISE is another level for sure
Yeah, they do sound pretty good, my idea is to make wood cups, and transfer drivers, then experiment with the earpads and meshes, but for now, have to keep doing the home renovations ( no more gear until all the furniture and living room is done!!) but I am lucky, my wife is a bit of a hifi addict so it may happen sooner.............

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,261 of 4,722
I am lucky, my wife is a bit of a hifi addict so it may happen sooner.............
You are really lucky man :beerchug:
I hope you've seen this one before. It's like "Rolls-Royce" mod for Grado:hushed::nerd:

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,262 of 4,722
You are really lucky man :beerchug:
I hope you've seen this one before. It's like "Rolls-Royce" mod for Grado:hushed::nerd:

Haven't seen this video, but thats pretty much what I would like to do, leather head band, alloy gymbals and wood cups.......
Allready have the purple heart and wavy maple wood, and some really nice, 2.2mm thick un dyed veg tan Italian leather....

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #2,263 of 4,722
20200511-175240.jpg

On the left you can see inside of the original shell. This cascading profile muffles the sound. On the right is modded shell. I used file tool to trim this "staircase" shape but
but I didn't get much open sound. It's not worth it
Nice! Regardless of whether you achieved your target 100%, I absolutely LOVE the thinking and spirit of innovation behind the effort. Just made my day by viewing this post. I'm really interested in what future efforts look like!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #2,264 of 4,722
Nice! Regardless of whether you achieved your target 100%, I absolutely LOVE the thinking and spirit of innovation behind the effort. Just made my day by viewing this post. I'm really interested in what future efforts look like!
This is a very good comment (at 47:20 min) by Paul on why the size and shape of the inside of the shell are important

Users who are viewing this thread

Back