DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #9,362 of 10,535
Ah, now I see why Viablue is a good option, https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/wire-and-cable
Sorry to point you here again but at least you can see what you are looking for, not sure of stockists in Germany, be a bit careful
of wire on AliExpress as this can be very stiff, Neotech is a bit stiffer than the other wires but still very flexible when braided.
Thank you very much. I suppose my next steps will be to read the cable DIY forum completely in order to take the proper decision on how many silver / copper wires i will need to make 2 meters of braided cable).

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #9,363 of 10,535
Probably start off with 4 strands, so you will need 8 metres of cable, cable will end up a bit shorter than 2 metres after braiding, it's a bit more effort but you will
end up with a better cable, search 4 strand round braid on youtube and just twist the two strands together after the split to the headphone end

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #9,364 of 10,535
This weekend I gave a related go...

Neotech UP OCC Copper 4 core 1/4" to mini xlr (for zmf headphones).

Sadly I didn't quite complete it yet. Here is the so far... 4 pin mini xlrs defeated me .. until next weekend !!!

I did manage to braid, wrap and get one end done :)

All materials via cosmic cables (and paracord from kind donor).

20191117_214906.jpg 20191117_214841.jpg

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #9,367 of 10,535
Ha, I'm sure you are capable, just make sure that you prime the solder tip and be quick, use a piece of solid core wire to join solder cups 1 and 4 and do the same for solder cups 2 and 3, solder that in place and
then solder your wire to the solid core. Oh and fill the cups with solder first, don't try to use loads of solder as there is no need.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #9,369 of 10,535
Tx for that. I found associated blog article. That pic looks stable and uses solid core wire. I was using multi-strand hook-up wire. What do you think of mixing wires like that? I I assume I can just get a meter of the same Neotech wire but in solid core.. I assume you think it is no issue based on your suggestion but thought I'd ask anyhow.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #9,371 of 10,535
Some brief questions:
Should I use rosin free solder of something with rosin to solder bath litz wire?
How do I actually braid a 2 braid wire(4 braid when it reaches the Y split)? I tried manually twisting but my finger hurt as hell... Are there any tricks to it?
How should I get some cheap good heat shrink in US? My supplies from china are depleted.
BTW any interesting OCC silver in US? Tried neotech and failed to satisfy me.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #9,372 of 10,535
I will just answer the first question.

You use rosin free solder in solder pots but first dip whatever you are tinning in liquid rosin. The pot would burn the rosin up otherwise, it would just sit there and smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back