DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #9,346 of 10,535
You also don’t encounter pure silver solder. Like solder, a connector has physical requirements that one can’t meet using pure copper or silver. You need rigidity/durability that can only be achieved by alloying.
Good point, the connector's rigidity is also very important. But there is another question: What is the point of using miscellaneous expensive cables (OFC, SPC or pure silver), since the maximum difference that will be heard is that between the various solders and the purity of the alloys used, as outgoing signal is already degraded by the usage of far less conductivity alloy or standard solder, even with 4% or 10 % silver?

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #9,347 of 10,535
Good point, the connector's rigidity is also very important. But there is another question: What is the point of using miscellaneous expensive cables (OFC, SPC or pure silver), since the maximum difference that will be heard is that between the various solders and the purity of the alloys used, as outgoing signal is already degraded by the usage of far less conductivity alloy or standard solder, even with 4% or 10 % silver?

The distances that the signal needs to cross these barriers of lesser conductivity are very short. So the overall degradation of signal is fairly slight. But it’s undeniably there.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #9,348 of 10,535
Interesting but I'm guessing if the experts think that Rhodium and beryllium are the best sounding connectors then that is probably the case, I must say that having
experienced both the Eidolic and Furutech they are both amazing in both quality and sound. Which wire are you planning on using.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #9,349 of 10,535
Interesting but I'm guessing if the experts think that Rhodium and beryllium are the best sounding connectors then that is probably the case, I must say that having
experienced both the Eidolic and Furutech they are both amazing in both quality and sound. Which wire are you planning on using.
I am still between 2 options: 1st is a MOGAMI 2534 Neglex Quad studio microphone cable, as I read mostly positive review about it, and the second option is ViaBlue™ EPC-4 Silver headphone cable, which looks also fine. Currently I am using silver plated copper custom cable, made by one Russian guy, and while the cable serves me perfectly, I still want to try something new.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #9,350 of 10,535

I recently swapped out a Neutrik XLR connector with the usual brass pins for an Eidolic one, with Tellurium Copper alloy plated in Rhodium. It was pretty startling to me how noticeable the improvement was.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #9,351 of 10,535
Personally I would go for the Mogami as it's much more flexible than the Viablue, although I doubt either is going to be a massive difference over the stock cable, @ Matthew420, yes I've noticed myself, the
Neutrik are well made but lack the quality materials of Eidolic or Furutech.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #9,352 of 10,535
Personally I would go for the Mogami as it's much more flexible than the Viablue, although I doubt either is going to be a massive difference over the stock cable, @ Matthew420, yes I've noticed myself, the
Neutrik are well made but lack the quality materials of Eidolic or Furutech.

imo the furutech sound almost the same, but the eidolic are so much easier to work and solder

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #9,354 of 10,535
It really depends on budget and how far you are prepared to go with the making of the cable, if you can handle the extra work load then I would definitely go with
Neotech wire as this would be quite a big jump in sq, Neotech is OCC Ohno Continuous Casting, OFC Oxygen free copper is considered the lesser of the two in
terms of quality. If you really want great sound quality then you could go to Neotech pure silver if you have a big wallet or even better a rich partner.

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #9,355 of 10,535
You may well be all right, and yes the tips are left and right plus, sleeves are left and right minus.
Yup, that's right for Hifiman cans like the Ananda as I found out this weekend :):

VbpsOXtl.jpg

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #9,356 of 10,535
It really depends on budget and how far you are prepared to go with the making of the cable, if you can handle the extra work load then I would definitely go with
Neotech wire as this would be quite a big jump in sq, Neotech is OCC Ohno Continuous Casting, OFC Oxygen free copper is considered the lesser of the two in
terms of quality. If you really want great sound quality then you could go to Neotech pure silver if you have a big wallet or even better a rich partner.

I'll second this, the UPOCC copper should give you a noticeable step up from most OFC wire, which i what the majority of stock cables and many after market cables are made of too. Its pretty good value versus peformance choice. The silver is expensive DIY option, but not if you compare it to the price of shop bought equivalent, which you could 2 or 3 times more for.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #9,358 of 10,535
The other reason to go with something nicer, like Neotech wire, is that microphone wire isn’t the most flexible stuff in the world.
Which exact wire OCC or silver you can recommend? I found one on Neotech's website, NECH-3001, but it looks very stiff, probably I am on wrong cable, as I choose the sub-menu for EARPHONE / HEADPHONE CABLE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back