DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #7,621 of 10,535
No it's 2.5mm but supports two architecture. NVM, I am confused too at this point. Let's concentrate on 2.5mm AKM type. The stock cable is sufficient and a basic 2.5mm TRRS connector?

Yes stock cable, cut off 6.3 jack and then sold a 2.5 trrs by rule r-r+l+l- . Stock cable has painting wire, identy poles +- by color as posted. Dont forget to cut at 45 deg to got larger cross section for electric to goes. Pre-sold a bit tin on that cut face bcs they are painting wire (elec cant goes thru paint). Sory bad EN

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #7,622 of 10,535
20171030_225105.jpg
Yes, you can strip the ends of a stock Sennheiser cable and use a standard TRRS connector. I would recommend getting a couple as they can be tricky to solder without damaging the plastic inside the connector. Also note, the Sennheiser cable wire usually has an enamel on the wire which you'll need to remove before you can solder to the connector. Most people burn it off with a lighter or soldering iron.

Never do it again. My exp.
Set 275 deg of hot temp. BF sold. Cut at angle the wire and right after, dipping into melted tin.
Burn by gas, shave by knife.... so old method

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #7,623 of 10,535
A solder pot is a good way to remove that enamel but they can run around $25 so not the best thing for one time usage. 275 degrees is a very low soldering iron temp so you were fortunate to get that to work.

I did happen to see that Massdrop had some cables they were selling for Sennheiser and other brands for $9.95 each and some were offered with trrs connectors. They were sold out on some models but for $9.95 on custom made cables, I doubt seriously if you could buy the three connectors for that price and shipping was pretty reasonable. I do not have a link handy but just do a search for headphone cables and that add may well pop up.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #7,624 of 10,535
A solder pot is a good way to remove that enamel but they can run around $25 so not the best thing for one time usage. 275 degrees is a very low soldering iron temp so you were fortunate to get that to work.

I did happen to see that Massdrop had some cables they were selling for Sennheiser and other brands for $9.95 each and some were offered with trrs connectors. They were sold out on some models but for $9.95 on custom made cables, I doubt seriously if you could buy the three connectors for that price and shipping was pretty reasonable. I do not have a link handy but just do a search for headphone cables and that add may well pop up.
I had checked that the day the drop came live but none of them(Hd6xx) were terminated to 2.5mm balanced and balanced cables are $70-100. $9 is for most basic IEM cable.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #7,625 of 10,535
That makes sense, it seemed too good to be true and then most everything I wanted was sold out. There was a listing for the cable covering and connectors and I never did see much mention of the wire they were using so I did not take it real seriously. I did order the HD6xx headphones for $200 figuring I would build my own cables for them anyway and it is a decent price for high impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #7,627 of 10,535
They do use the two pin hd 650 connectors as far as I know but I have built with them before.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #7,628 of 10,535
I had checked that the day the drop came live but none of them(Hd6xx) were terminated to 2.5mm balanced and balanced cables are $70-100. $9 is for most basic IEM cable.
To solder the sennheiser wire, tin your iron and hold the stripped wire in the little blob of solder (but don't touch the iron itself if you can help it) until the enamel burns off and then the wire will suck up the solder, then you know it's good to go.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7,629 of 10,535
the wire will suck up the solder....also known as capillary action.:)

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #7,631 of 10,535
I am going from memory but as i recall the large pin is ground and the smaller pin is hot. Some aftermarket connectors are better than others.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #7,632 of 10,535
I managed to get some 24 AWG 99.99% pure silver wire (California Wire Company), so I made a headphone cable with it. I sleeved the cable in un-dyed cotton I got from Etsy. I braided the 4 sleeved wires to the Y, then sleeved the braid in techflex (wish I used clear heat shrink). I simply twisted the wired from the Y to the tips, and sleeved that in clear heat shrink purchased from eBay. Connectors are a balanced XLR 4-pin from Markertek and clone Lemo connectors from AliExpress.

Note on the XLR, I got the NC4MX. I highly recommend the NC4MXX. The XX is a little larger and feels better.

Even though the wire is solid core, the overall cable is quite flexible.

How does it sound? Well, this is my first pure silver cable. To me it sounds a bit "brittle", but not in a bad way. Everything seems a little tighter. So hard to tell. I'm comparing it to an 8 strand Mogami cable. Not a night and day difference to me.

I haven't heat shrunk the black and red at the tips since I'm not sure I will keep this for the utopia. I'm thinking I may re-terminate it for an HD6XX.

Has anyone tried mixing pure silver and copper? I'm thinking pure silver for the plus and OFC copper for the minus. I read somewhere to use a few gauge thicker for the copper when doing this. Any thoughts?

9935841_l.jpg

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #7,633 of 10,535
Anybody know where to pick up some y splitters? The only thing I've enjoyed looking at is Eidolic or something made for the esoterics like DHC, Norne, Toxic, etc. I'm just struggling to find a good source besides these boutique shops.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #7,634 of 10,535
Anybody know where to pick up some y splitters? The only thing I've enjoyed looking at is Eidolic or something made for the esoterics like DHC, Norne, Toxic, etc. I'm just struggling to find a good source besides these boutique shops.
Here are the ones I’ve found. If anyone knows of more, please let me know

https://sites.google.com/marcusfamily.info/diynotes/home/y-splitters?authuser=0

On a side note, I just uses a plus sound splitter, and it is great. Comes apart easily for mounting.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #7,635 of 10,535
Hello All,

I asked question regarding DIY Jerry Harvey 4-pin connector cable several pages before but haven't got any clear answer and I promised I will keep you guys posted with whatever I found. So, yesterday I finally received connectors from China. $22 for both R+L + $5 for cable + $1 for 2.5 trrs connector + $1 for small Y-slitter. 4-pin connectors were the same as on original cable, noticed no difference at all. Didn't use bass adjuster, just straight soldering without anything else. The cable I got was 8x 30AWG braided silver plated copper. The material wasn't so important for me here since my goal was a dyi cable with 2.5 trrs (balanced) for JH v2 and do not pay ridiculous $150 from JH website or even more insane $350 for Moon Audio anymore. And guys, I did it :) 4 cables on each sides, 3 for low, mid, high + 1 ground. On the jack end i connected all 3 (low, mid, high) to signal right and another 3 for signal left and grounds left and right. Everything is working amazing only one cons that you can't adjust bass but who cares because it sounds gorgeous!!! Let me know guys if you have any questions or recommendations.

IMG_20171106_120642.jpg 14-jh24jdt-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back