DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #4,111 of 10,535
This is an example of a case where a DMM is a lifesaver (or rather sanity saver :) )

Use a DMM to test the closed loop between the TRS plug and the IEM connector's pins of the original cabling. Signal always +, ground always -. If it's inverted, I think it will still sound, but phase-inverted(?)

Actually I did use a DMM and got weird results. Thinking back on it I wonder if it's because I tested it with one side plugged in...

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,112 of 10,535

Finally had time finish the other one in anticipation of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Still have to make two other cables for the Alpha Dogs and He-400's for balanced connections all around.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #4,113 of 10,535
  When making a IEM cable with 2pin connector, how do I know which pin is which? They don't seem to be keyed in any way...

Edit - Okay, figured it out.  Front is - and Rear is +.  I made sure to put the connectors on so I know which was supposed to be front and rear and I'm golden.

SPC with transparent insulation, Eidolic connectors.

Nice cable! Cool wire, where'd you get it?

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #4,114 of 10,535

Nice cable! Cool wire, where'd you get it?

LOL!  Does it look familiar?  It passed through your very hands not too long ago...   :-D

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,116 of 10,535
Hey guys, I have been making a few HP cables lately with great success. When building a mini 4 pin XLR why is it important to ground pins 2 and 3, if they are not used at the headphone end? Those little ground loops are a bitch to solder with older eyes.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #4,117 of 10,535
  Lol. I thought that, but wasn't sure. How are the Eidolic connectors? Might have to try some solder on connectors in the future if any repairs come up.

They're hit and miss for me.

Pro's:  The look fantastic, they're well built, they have the extended barrel so they work in the PM-3 and in cell phone cases.
Con's:  They're not QUITE thick enough to put a 4-strand, paracord-sleeved braid in there WITH shrink wrap too.  Also the IEM connectors just look too big when worn, the IEM connectors inner diameter for the soldering points is juuust a bit on the small side (I had to redo the tin with less solder to get it to fit).

I will probably continue to use the TRS adapter, but look for a different solution for the IEM side.  If I can't find anything good, I'll come back to these as they're not BAD just quirky and expensive.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #4,118 of 10,535
So I got some 26awg silver plated cable from the navships ebay seller, all of it's 19 strands \o/

100 feet of the kapton+teflon insulated wire (50ft of green, 50ft of purple), and 100 feet of just the teflon insulated stuff (50ft white, 50ft red). 

The kapton insulated stuff is thinner, and also a little stiffer. It seems to hold it's shape after bent a little more than without it. This will make 2 lots of 2.4 meter cables with 8 strands each for the LCD2's. Will report back in a week or so on the Kapton cables to see how it goes with braiding and as a headphone cable in general. 

Now I just need to find some good connectors :3

Picture of the wires as they came from the package:

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #4,121 of 10,535

They're hit and miss for me.

Pro's:  The look fantastic, they're well built, they have the extended barrel so they work in the PM-3 and in cell phone cases.
Con's:  They're not QUITE thick enough to put a 4-strand, paracord-sleeved braid in there WITH shrink wrap too.  Also the IEM connectors just look too big when worn, the IEM connectors inner diameter for the soldering points is juuust a bit on the small side (I had to redo the tin with less solder to get it to fit).

I will probably continue to use the TRS adapter, but look for a different solution for the IEM side.  If I can't find anything good, I'll come back to these as they're not BAD just quirky and expensive.

I like the look of the connectors was going to make a pair of 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch connectors and like the look of your connectors.Going with bare wire so I think they will work for me. Rean makes a 8mm opening 1/8 connector that can fit a lot of paracord in. I had to ream out the Rean connector 1/8 connector to insert 4 x 275 para cord.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4,122 of 10,535
  So I got some 26awg silver plated cable from the navships ebay seller, all of it's 19 strands \o/

100 feet of the kapton+teflon insulated wire (50ft of green, 50ft of purple), and 100 feet of just the teflon insulated stuff (50ft white, 50ft red). 

The kapton insulated stuff is thinner, and also a little stiffer. It seems to hold it's shape after bent a little more than without it. This will make 2 lots of 2.4 meter cables with 8 strands each for the LCD2's. Will report back in a week or so on the Kapton cables to see how it goes with braiding and as a headphone cable in general. 

Now I just need to find some good connectors :3

Good stuff to start with, however I wouldn't ever use it with IEM's and it would make one stiff cable for headphones. I used to play around with that stuff years ago, I use whatever is left over for odd jobs now-a-days.

As for connectors, you should try Daleproaudio.com great selection and FREE SHIPPING. great if you want to pick up one or two connectors.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #4,124 of 10,535
  Thanks.
What about the 2 pin (westone style) though?

If it's the MMCX connector version, pinout is the same. Pin is signal, shell is ground.

If you're referring to the older Westone one that JH, Westone, Ultimate Ears, Unique Melody, etc.... use, then this is your pinout:

Left Front Pin: Channel -
Left Rear Pin:Channel +
Right Front Pin: Channel -
Right Rear Pin: Channel +

... Also refer to the diagram on this post:

As far as im aware this is the standard arrangement, But im not 100% on that...

Top line for JH / Westone etc. Bottom line is TF10 / SF5 etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back