DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 30, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #4,084 of 10,535
You can give that a try too if you have some thicker stuff like the Canare Quad or something similar. A good thing to do is to set it where you want while the heatshrink is still pretty warm, that will help keep it where you want it.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #4,085 of 10,535
  You will hear many different opinions on whether a cable will make a difference it is hotly debated. That being said I find silver makes things sound brighter with a tad more clarity with a reduction in bass. I have not used solid silver but silver plated ofc wire. From what I've read about how the signal travels it is by the skin of the wire. That would mean as I understand it more strands would mean more signal path. I have made a set silver plated  interconnects for my HT setup on my mains and found a loss of bass from the Monster cables I had but much more clear and bright sounding so I made a set of hybrids that got the bass back. You can do what you want but I think you might want to start out a little slower with the silver and gold solder. Most cable makers use (from what I gather) for solder is Cardis Quad it is I think 5% silver with Tin Lead and Copper. I use it and it is great to work with. For my copper cable I use DHC Nucleotide I find it pretty nice stuff to work with. Please take all of this as my own opinion as YMMV. You are the one that hears what you hear. Hope this helps you .

Thanks for the feedback. It's true that I may not be able to hear a difference either way, but then I was also told by a friend that I'd hear no difference with the headphone upgrade unless I had a dedicated amp/dac setup and I did, so I'm hoping that I will be able to hear 'something' even if it's not huge. That being said, I did find that my new set lacks power in the bass compared to my old set, which I do miss despite the improved detail and clarity. If using silver wire is likely to further decrease the bass, then perhaps I ought to reconsider

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #4,086 of 10,535

Thanks for the feedback. It's true that I may not be able to hear a difference either way, but then I was also told by a friend that I'd hear no difference with the headphone upgrade unless I had a dedicated amp/dac setup and I did, so I'm hoping that I will be able to hear 'something' even if it's not huge. That being said, I did find that my new set lacks power in the bass compared to my old set, which I do miss despite the improved detail and clarity. If using silver wire is likely to further decrease the bass, then perhaps I ought to reconsider

I can't say you will hear less bass with solid silver but I did with silver plate on my speaker setup. I have planar headphones so a little loss in bass is not too noticeable . The copper brought back the bass for my speaker setup.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,087 of 10,535
How thick of sleeving would you guys recommend for an iem cable? 

I was looking at this: http://www.moddiy.com/products/Deluxe-PET-PP-Cotton-Braided-Sleeving-%28Red-4mm%29.html

But I'm not sure if 4mm would be too thick. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #4,088 of 10,535
I just ordered parts for an IEM cable but I'm not going to use any sleeving.  

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #4,090 of 10,535

I was looking at this: http://www.moddiy.com/products/Deluxe-PET-PP-Cotton-Braided-Sleeving-%28Red-4mm%29.html

4mm sleeve would be monster big for an IEM cable. Stillhart had it right with nothing to cover it with. I have only one pair of IEM's Havi B3 Pro 1 and the cable is only 1.5 mm wide going to the ears. What wire would you be using?  You might use that up to the split but after that way too big.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,091 of 10,535

I use a 3.2mm techflex on mine but cotton sleeves are thicker and heavier than nylon sleeves. the techflex expands a little when the cables are in.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #4,092 of 10,535
  Hi, can anyone build me an upgrade cable for ath IM70 for a price? Im located at Glendale, CA :)

I am sure many can but most will be a little weary of someone that just joined today. The connectors are available for $15 plus shipping and another $5 for the 3.5 mm connector plus shipping and then the wire. That can run as much as whatever. DHC Nucleotide cable which I like is $2.25 a foot. Multiply that by x4 for the cable from the ears until the split and 3x after that for a single ended cable. Then factor in labor and this cable will cost more than your IEM's. Not saying that I don't think cables make a difference ( I do) but how much are you willing to spend for a bit of increase in sound quality?   

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #4,093 of 10,535
  4mm sleeve would be monster big for an IEM cable. Stillhart had it right with nothing to cover it with. I have only one pair of IEM's Havi B3 Pro 1 and the cable is only 1.5 mm wide going to the ears. What wire would you be using?  You might use that up to the split but after that way too big.

I haven't decided yet. I have some DHC laying around, or I might try to reuse the stock JH cable that's all gross and oxidized now.

I really like how the cables with red sleeving look here: http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Type-4-OCC-Litz-CIEM-IEM-Westone-Shure-SE846-SE425-SE535-1964-ears-ue900-ultimate  

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,094 of 10,535
Right side pin of the cable broke so now I am looking for a more durable replacement :frowning2: Seriously needing help, or if there are any shops where I can get one near Glendale CA?

Was thinking of getting an IM02 from amazon for the BA flavor too, that way I can get back to recording and reviewing my song compositions. But then again, it may break again after a few months so Im looking into purchasing some durable cables now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back