DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 20, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #4,143 of 10,535
I have a question on the type of cable to use.  I've seen a lot of recommendations both ways.  I'm looking to make some custom cables and re-wire a headphone, so would like to know which cable to buy a big spool of.  This way I can be set in the long run.

Canare L-4E6S
Mogami W2893
Mogami W2534

Now I know the W2893 is the thinnest, but people have said it is also the easiest to work with because of that.  I also see a lot of pro cables made using the Canare (MrSpeakers old cables, ZMF's old cables).  This is also a much heavier gauge of wire.

If I wanted to just buy one spool of cable for all my needs (headphone re-wire, interconnects, adapters, etc.), which is the best bet?

Also, is there much benefit in doubling up the cores?  For example, if I were to re-wire my Grado's, I technically only need the 4 wires (2 for each cup).  But their new 'e' series line has been going with an 8 conductor core.  Do you think it is worth doubling it up or just using the single wire?

I imagine if I were to go the route of using 2 wires, the W2893 would be the best since it is the highest gauge.

Anyways, any and all comments would be appreciated for an inspiring cable builder :)

Thanks

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #4,144 of 10,535
I have a question on the type of cable to use.  I've seen a lot of recommendations both ways.  I'm looking to make some custom cables and re-wire a headphone, so would like to know which cable to buy a big spool of.  This way I can be set in the long run.

Canare L-4E6S
Mogami W2893
Mogami W2534

Now I know the W2893 is the thinnest, but people have said it is also the easiest to work with because of that.  I also see a lot of pro cables made using the Canare (MrSpeakers old cables, ZMF's old cables).  This is also a much heavier gauge of wire.

If I wanted to just buy one spool of cable for all my needs (headphone re-wire, interconnects, adapters, etc.), which is the best bet?

Also, is there much benefit in doubling up the cores?  For example, if I were to re-wire my Grado's, I technically only need the 4 wires (2 for each cup).  But their new 'e' series line has been going with an 8 conductor core.  Do you think it is worth doubling it up or just using the single wire?

I imagine if I were to go the route of using 2 wires, the W2893 would be the best since it is the highest gauge.

Anyways, any and all comments would be appreciated for an inspiring cable builder :)

Thanks

If you are planning on keeping the wires in the stock sleeve I would use 2893, and if you were planning on just using the wires and stripping the sleeve off I would use w2799. Mogami > Canare, IMO.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,145 of 10,535
If you are planning on keeping the wires in the stock sleeve I would use 2893, and if you were planning on just using the wires and stripping the sleeve off I would use w2799. Mogami > Canare, IMO.

Thanks for the info.  I plan on stripping the sleeve and either just using the wires or sleeving them in paracord (likely the paracord route).

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,146 of 10,535
  Thanks for the info.  I plan on stripping the sleeve and either just using the wires or sleeving them in paracord (likely the paracord route).

Then +1 on the W2799 route.  Easier to get to the individual wires, and cheaper(?).  I think I paid $0.16/foot per wire (4 wires in a foot) after getting to just the wires.  Got it at Redco Audio.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #4,147 of 10,535

Then +1 on the W2799 route.  Easier to get to the individual wires, and cheaper(?).  I think I paid $0.16/foot per wire (4 wires in a foot) after getting to just the wires.  Got it at Redco Audio.

I agree with the 2799. I think the outer sleeve (that you'll cut off anyway) is thinner and it doesn't have as much shielding. Same gauge cores as 2893, just much easier to strip and work with.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,148 of 10,535
I agree with the 2799. I think the outer sleeve (that you'll cut off anyway) is thinner and it doesn't have as much shielding. Same gauge cores as 2893, just much easier to strip and work with.

Pretty sure the difference between the two Mogami types is that W2799 is made for in-place/static/console installations, vs. having to be rugged enough to endure road-wear/gigs/etc.  I've stripped both, and W2799 is far easier, mostly due to the sheath.  The copper shield is only a nominal PITA.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #4,149 of 10,535

Pretty sure the difference between the two Mogami types is that W2799 is made for in-place/static/console installations, vs. having to be rugged enough to endure road-wear/gigs/etc.  I've stripped both, and W2799 is far easier, mostly due to the sheath.  The copper shield is only a nominal PITA.

In Canada, I don't seem to be able to source the 2799 as easily as the 2893.  Other than it being easier to strip, you say the internal wires themselves are the same between 2799 and 2893?

If one was cheaper than the other, should I just go for the cheaper route between the two?

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on whether or not using multiple wires per connection is worth it?  Besides increasing the reliability of the cable, is it worth it?  I see a lot of cables on eBay and elsewhere seem to use 8 wires.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,150 of 10,535
In Canada, I don't seem to be able to source the 2799 as easily as the 2893.  Other than it being easier to strip, you say the internal wires themselves are the same between 2799 and 2893?

If one was cheaper than the other, should I just go for the cheaper route between the two?

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on whether or not using multiple wires per connection is worth it?  Besides increasing the reliability of the cable, is it worth it?  I see a lot of cables on eBay and elsewhere seem to use 8 wires.

The conductors are the same between 2799 and 2893. The difference is in the copper shielding and the strings that are in the 2893. Get whatever is cheaper. I've used the 2893 on a few projects and have no issues with it.

Not sure on the multiple wires per connection and its benefits. My Grados have an 8 conductor cable (stock) and when I recable them I will use another 8 conductor cable. Mostly for the looks as I'm not sure what benefit there is over 4.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,151 of 10,535
8 vs. 4 wires means more capacitance and less resistance. Inductance is usually a non issue. Shouldn't make a difference for 95% of applications. Watch capacitance on interconnects, and resistance on long runs.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4,152 of 10,535
8 vs. 4 wires means more capacitance and less resistance. Inductance is usually a non issue. Shouldn't make a difference for 95% of applications. Watch capacitance on interconnects, and resistance on long runs.

Thanks.  So if I understand correctly, you want a low capacitance on interconnects so try to keep them as short as possible and use less conductors (4 in this example).

Whereas, for longer runs, you want to lower the resistance, so using more conductors (8) is better.

Does that sound right?

But basically, for either short interconnects or approx 6ft headphone cable, 8 vs 4 doesn't really matter?

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #4,153 of 10,535
Thanks.  So if I understand correctly, you want a low capacitance on interconnects so try to keep them as short as possible and use less conductors (4 in this example).

Whereas, for longer runs, you want to lower the resistance, so using more conductors (8) is better.

Does that sound right?

But basically, for either short interconnects or approx 6ft headphone cable, 8 vs 4 doesn't really matter?
Yup. Interconnects are different from normal headphone cables sometimes because the higher output impedances of preamps and DACs can turn into an RC filter, cutting high frequncies in the audible spectrum in some cases. Again, usually not a problem :). I use 8 strands for the aesthetics.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #4,154 of 10,535
Finally got time to work on my balanced cables for my Alpha Dogs waiting for my Liquid Carbon. Still have to make the splitter . Got a chunk of Bolivian Rosewood for that. Here is the work in progress.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4,155 of 10,535
My chunk of Bolivian Rosewood for the split . Don't know if I should round it off or leave it squared off. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back