DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 17, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #9,932 of 10,535
I'm recabling my Beyerdynamic DT150's and have some questions. I'd like to set it up to have two cables for use at work with my Qudelix 5K bluetooth DAC/AMP which has a 2.5mm balanced output:
(1) 6" cable with 2.5mm TRRS connection (DIY portable/bluetooth headset)​
(1) 4'-0" cable with 2.5mm TRRS connection (desktop use)​

Ideally I'd like to hardwire a 6" cable to the 6-pin connection with 2.5mm male termination (portable) and have a second 3'-6" long 2.5mm male to female extension cord (desktop use). If I do this, should I be concerned with the long term durability of the 2.5mm male to female connector?

This headphone has a clunky proprietary 6-pin connection with a screw to secure it to the headphone: https://www.studiospares.com/beyerdynamic-dt-6-pin-plug-for-dt100--dt150_410071.htm

I looked at a number of other different cabling options (hardwiring separate cables to two 6-pin connectors, 4 pin mini xlr interconnect, hard wiring a 2.5mm TRRS female jack into the 6-pin connector and using different 2.5mm male to male cables) but I think the above configuration would be simplest. Any insight or other cabling options I should consider?

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #9,933 of 10,535
Those are great sounding cans. Your approach is fine. Don't worry about the 2.5mm female connector. The 2.5mm male connector is the weakest link, but as long as the cable(s) aren't too thick and/or heavy, you should be fine. Most 2.5mm male connectors that develops issues is when there's lateral pressure that misaligns the 4 sections of the TRRS connector and often effects the left channel as the rings that corresponds to it bares the greatest pressure with the connector is fully inserted a source such as a DAP or amp and is accidentally dropped.

Also, if your project budget allows, invest in good quality 2.5mm connectors such as Plussounds or Eidolic.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #9,934 of 10,535
Eidolic 3.5mm extended jacks will work
I assume you mean these?

I'm confused, though. The description on the website says that it will fit the Meze 99 Classics when used with their mod. Are you sure that they'll fit without doing the mod?

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #9,935 of 10,535
Hi, I have a cable question, hope I am right here.

I did headphone cables in the past where I used a microphone cable with 2 conductors (L+R) and shield as ground. Is it electrically speaking ok, to do it like that or is it better to use 3-wire cables and don't use the shield as ground for L+R signal?

I have to do new cables and wondering if I'll do it the same or differently this time. Also, what AWG do you prefer for short headphone cables? Has the capacity of the cable any effect? Most good manufactures specify resistance and capacity between wires and shield.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #9,936 of 10,535
You can use shield as ground. I reterminated the stock cable that came with a Kennerton and it did that. I don't personally, but you can.

And 24-26 awg tends to work well.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #9,937 of 10,535
Anyone have a good source for getting Eidolic connectors, splitters, etc... within Canada? DHC seems to stock some but their shipping cost for just a few connectors seems a bit silly :/ And would assume I'd have to do duties and all that on top too.

Ditto any good occ copper and/or silver plated copper sources? Litz? Neotech seems highly recommended? Though I think my ideal would be some nice 8 and 16-core pre-braided litz cabling that's nice and soft to the touch, not very microphonic, etc...

(Just moved to Canada, so getting the lay of the land here as it were...)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #9,938 of 10,535
Anyone have a good source for getting Eidolic connectors, splitters, etc... within Canada? DHC seems to stock some but their shipping cost for just a few connectors seems a bit silly :/ And would assume I'd have to do duties and all that on top too.

Ditto any good occ copper and/or silver plated copper sources? Litz? Neotech seems highly recommended? Though I think my ideal would be some nice 8 and 16-core pre-braided litz cabling that's nice and soft to the touch, not very microphonic, etc...

(Just moved to Canada, so getting the lay of the land here as it were...)
Have a chat with Ian about shipping etc from UK, https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/eidolic-connectors

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #9,939 of 10,535
Anyone in UK can terminate an Audeze cable from 3.5' TRS to 2.5" TRRS ? Or if you know any company I could contact..thanks.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #9,943 of 10,535
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #9,945 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back