DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #9,497 of 10,535
Sorry man, I didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't have bought them. I meant to say we should be able to buy stuff at a reasonable price based on what it costs to make.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #9,499 of 10,535
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/black-chrome-rhodium-plated-beryllium-copper-mmcx

These are the nicest mmcx that I've used, even nicer than the Eidolic I think although the Eidolic mmcx do seem to be a bit rare
. This is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

You might want to look at the history of OCC wire and Professor Ohno's invention, in Japan. I doubt seriously if some of the wire we currently buy from China is made with the same process. I believe there were authorized companies around the world but it has been a while since I read about it. As far as wire that might still be around from the 60's, companies like Belden have been producing specific wire for many decades and their quality standards are exceptional. Something you folks may want to try if you ever get the chance is cable cooking. I know it sounds goofy and I was highly skeptical until I borrowed a cooker, hooked headphone cables to it, and was amazed by the difference it made. I have no connection whatsoever with those products but I am just saying, try it if you ever get the opportunity. :) I heard more difference with that device than most any wire type I have ever tried, and I have access to most things made.
I am a believer, I've heard massive differences after burn in, and I don't quite understand how, but higher electrical current changes sound of the metals being used. I just recently made some DIY USB cables, all solid core, and the differences in sound are night and day. You come back on to places like head fi and people will scream for days about what is possible and what is not, there is only one way to find out. DIY

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #9,501 of 10,535

I am a believer, I've heard massive differences after burn in, and I don't quite understand how, but higher electrical current changes sound of the metals being used. I just recently made some DIY USB cables, all solid core, and the differences in sound are night and day. You come back on to places like head fi and people will scream for days about what is possible and what is not, there is only one way to find out. DIY

My background is engineering and science but, I try to keep an open mind. The guy who lent me the cable cooker is amazing with audio tubes and knows sound. If anyone else had told me to try it I would have just laughed at them. I will not pay $1,000 for one but it was cool to try out, and own an amp or two to test the cables on as well as plenty of headphones.

I can give some advice on connectors and cable but I have to be careful what I say, it has to be pretty generic.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #9,503 of 10,535
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/black-chrome-rhodium-plated-beryllium-copper-mmcx

These are the nicest mmcx that I've used, even nicer than the Eidolic I think although the Eidolic mmcx do seem to be a bit rare

Holy Smokes is that pricey with shipping to USA.

$75 USD for MMCX w shipping from England

$42 USD for MMCX

$33 USD shipping

I can get 3 pairs of Eidolic MMCX for that price, which is pretty unfortunate for me as those rhodium plated Ber Cu MMCX piqued my interest.

Anyone know a place in N America that sells those MMCX or can ship to USA for much less?

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #9,504 of 10,535
Holy Smokes is that pricey with shipping to USA.

$75 USD for MMCX w shipping from England

$42 USD for MMCX

$33 USD shipping

I can get 3 pairs of Eidolic MMCX for that price, which is pretty unfortunate for me as those rhodium plated Ber Cu MMCX piqued my interest.

Anyone know a place in N America that sells those MMCX or can ship to USA for much less?
I think if you contact them they will give you a shipping price, I have relatives in Florida and they have sent to them for much cheaper than that.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #9,505 of 10,535

interested to hear what wire you used for the usb build. I’ve been experimenting a bit with Beldeb quad shielded and the results are good, about on par with supra usb but no where near the ridiculously expensive tellurium q black diamond cable. This the last shop bought cable in my set up as I’ve managed to build rca, hp, digital coax and Ethernet cables which outperform my expensive branded ones. it’s just the usb which is alluding me, so any secrets you can share would be gratefully received. I’ve been drinking the cable cool aid for years so your pushing against an open door here :wink:

had anyone ever seen a tear down on a top usb cable, I can’t bring myself to cut into this £600 sausage, but TQ give absolutely zero away about their construction. The one thing I can say is the difference it makes is worth the price to me it’s that good :)

AC295CAF-5DC1-4C2F-8773-AFE9153C9B43.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #9,506 of 10,535
interested to hear what wire you used for the usb build. I’ve been experimenting a bit with Beldeb quad shielded and the results are good, about on par with supra usb but no where near the ridiculously expensive tellurium q black diamond cable. This the last shop bought cable in my set up as I’ve managed to build rca, hp, digital coax and Ethernet cables which outperform my expensive branded ones. it’s just the usb which is alluding me, so any secrets you can share would be gratefully received. I’ve been drinking the cable cool aid for years so your pushing against an open door here :wink:

had anyone ever seen a tear down on a top usb cable, I can’t bring myself to cut into this £600 sausage, but TQ give absolutely zero away about their construction. The one thing I can say is the difference it makes is worth the price to me it’s that good :)

I used Neotech Solid OCC COpper and Silver cables. Experimented with 24 gauge, 26 gauge, even 22 gauge. I found 28 gauge (2 wires per conductor, data + and data- , 4 wires total) to be the best, by far. No shielding at all, outside the stock teflon. For the plugs themselves I tried 4, maybe 5 different sets and, these were by far the cleanest and best sounding. Timbre is perfect.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Set-Coppe...118078?hash=item4645e1843e:g:dQAAAOSwp5JWZ83c
I tried all kinds of shielding, but got a more open sound without it.
OCC Copper sounded more natural vs OCC Silver to my ears.
USB Cables make a fattttttt!!!! difference, and anyone telling you otherwise has in all likelihood never tried good quality ones. Solid core to my ears is always the superior cable.
Stranded is only good when you need pliability, like for earphones.
Used cardas solder for everything.
On my cable I don't have any power or grounding wires. They sit empty.
Depending on the DAC you are using, you may or may not need a grounding conductor.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #9,507 of 10,535
I used Neotech Solid OCC COpper and Silver cables. Experimented with 24 gauge, 26 gauge, even 22 gauge. I found 28 gauge (2 wires per conductor, data + and data- ) to be the best, by far. No shielding at all, outside the stock teflon. For the plugs themselves I tried 4, maybe 5 different sets and, these were by far the cleanest and best sounding. Timbre is perfect.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=usb+b+diy+copper&_sacat=0
I tried all kinds of shielding, but got a more open sound without it.
OCC Copper sounded more natural vs OCC Silver to my ears.
USB Cables make a fattttttt!!!! difference, and anyone telling you otherwise has in all likelihood never tried good quality ones. Solid core to my ears is always the superior cable.
Stranded is only good when you need pliability, like for earphones.
Used cardas solder for everything.
On my cable I don't have any power or grounding wires. They sit empty.
Depending on the DAC you are using, you may or may not need a grounding conductor.

This is great thank you and as upocc dominates every other connection in my hifi accept network cable it would be shame not to do the same with the usb. It will be very interesting to hear how good these sound without shielding. The eBay link for connectors opens up on a few different ones, is there anything specific you recommend? Cheers :)

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #9,508 of 10,535
This is great thank you and as upocc dominates every other connection in my hifi accept network cable it would be shame not to do the same with the usb. It will be very interesting to hear how good these sound without shielding. The eBay link for connectors opens up on a few different ones, is there anything specific you recommend? Cheers :)
Sorry, I fixed the link in the last post.
here it is again
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Set-Coppe...118078?hash=item4645e1843e:g:dQAAAOSwp5JWZ83c

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #9,509 of 10,535
Hello, I am planning to make a custom cable for my Focal Elex Headphones (2 x 3.5mm mono plugs) to connect to the 2.5mm balanced TRRS input of my A&K Kann Cube. I am very new to these types of projects and I am hoping someone can verify the following:

On the 2.5mm connector that goes int the A&K Kann Cube the connections are R- (tip) R+ L+ L- (sleeve)
On the 3.5mm (right) connector (Focal HP) the R+ (tip) R- (Sleeve)
On the 3.5mm (left) connector (Focal HP) the L+ (tip) L- (sleeve)

Is the above correct?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back