DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 2, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #9,256 of 10,535
Where do I claim or ask that/if they're Neotech? I only spoke about 7N UP-OCC.

I feel that all this 7N stuff is pure marketing. Even Neotech claims only 5N on this site: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wires/neotech-stdct-multistrand-copper-wires.html
This article pretty much supports this too: https://doublehelixcables.com/faq/

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the aforementioned cables?

I've heard one of their UPOCC silver cables which i think retailed for about £1K and was very good, but i've had similar performance out of DIY neotech wire for less than 1/2 the price. Prior to being convinced by another headfier, to pick the soldering iron, i'm embarrassed to admit i could probably buy quite a nice car with money i'd spent in my time on cables. Dont get me wrong i' a believer the potential benefits offered by a well matched cable and was generally very happy with effect the shop bought variants had my music listening, just not the price. I know the contributors to this thread choose wire for varying and all equally valid reasons, but if your priority is sound quality and like me you believe cables can make a difference, then i'd recommend you try neotech, because i've tried getting on for dozens of unbranded OCC wire, which has often been cheaper but so far none that sounds better. Cliches are often based on fact and in my experience with mono-crystal wire, is buy cheap by twice, maybe three times :wink:

Oct 2, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #9,257 of 10,535
I've heard one of their UPOCC silver cables which i think retailed for about £1K and was very good, but i've had similar performance out of DIY neotech wire for less than 1/2 the price. Prior to being convinced by another headfier, to pick the soldering iron, i'm embarrassed to admit i could probably buy quite a nice car with money i'd spent in my time on cables. Dont get me wrong i' a believer the potential benefits offered by a well matched cable and was generally very happy with effect the shop bought variants had my music listening, just not the price. I know the contributors to this thread choose wire for varying and all equally valid reasons, but if your priority is sound quality and like me you believe cables can make a difference, then i'd recommend you try neotech, because i've tried getting on for dozens of unbranded OCC wire, which has often been cheaper but so far none that sounds better. Cliches are often based on fact and in my experience with mono-crystal wire, is buy cheap by twice, maybe three times :wink:
Thanks) It looks like I need to try out different vatiants myself, including this one. It's the only option to truly know. But still, has anyone tried this one?
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...em-iem-full-size-aftermarket-up-7-n-6-upgrade

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #9,258 of 10,535
Where do I claim or ask that/if they're Neotech? I only spoke about 7N UP-OCC.

I feel that all this 7N stuff is pure marketing. Even Neotech claims only 5N on this site: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wires/neotech-stdct-multistrand-copper-wires.html
This article pretty much supports this too: https://doublehelixcables.com/faq/

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the aforementioned cables?
yes, 7N looks pure marketing, difficult to determine. but if it is false, it's false for the wires sold in china but also for the wires you linked to, probably: norne (identical wire), forza audioworks, etc. regardless of they use the word "neotech" (copyrighted, btw) or not.
i'm ok with UP-OCC term, let's forget about 6N-7N. guess all the UP-OCC wire is made in taiwan, probably in the same factory where neotech makes its wire. you know, typical OEM+branded production.
from one of the shops at taobao (china) which sells neotech wires (https://hifiman.world.taobao.com/category-1116125796.htm):
"About Bandung and OCC
Neotech in the audio industry is one of the few OCC patents licensed manufacturers. Neotech is also the OEM manufacturers , worldwide more than a fever wire brand producing high-quality audio wire".
(sorry for the google translation)

anyway, you'll know it soon, because i'm going to waste $38 USD in a piece of expensive neotech wire in europe (authorized distributor), just to compare it with the supposedly same wire (OEM) i bought at china.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #9,259 of 10,535
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #9,260 of 10,535
no first hand, but i'd bet it will have nothing to envy to neotech wire, and price is excellent for a 22AWG UP-OCC (cheaper than similar neotech wire).

edit: LOL, they've just removed "7N" and "UP-OCC" from the description of the wire!
now it's "OCC highest purity copper".
Interesting that the description changed? I am using the SPC OCC from Norne, and it is stellar wire, however the jacket melts super easy, so be careful when tinning the tips. Norne Audio is one of the best if not the best cable makers for headphones, so you can rest assured that his DIY wire is top notch as well. The SPC OCC, I have is some of the nicest wire I have ever handled, and is super soft, has no memory or microphonics, and sounds as good as it looks. For the money, it would be hard to find better wire for heaphone cables.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #9,261 of 10,535
Interesting that the description changed? I am using the SPC OCC from Norne, and it is stellar wire, however the jacket melts super easy, so be careful when tinning the tips. Norne Audio is one of the best if not the best cable makers for headphones, so you can rest assured that his DIY wire is top notch as well. The SPC OCC, I have is some of the nicest wire I have ever handled, and is super soft, has no memory or microphonics, and sounds as good as it looks. For the money, it would be hard to find better wire for heaphone cables.

Exactly what I'd say. I just made a cable with this wire, and the sound and ergonomics are both great. It's not litz wire, so theoretically it may discolor, but my cable is sleeved in paracord. But yeah, that jacket melts away quickly. Next time I'll use a heat sink clip before I tin the wire.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #9,263 of 10,535
Exactly what I'd say. I just made a cable with this wire, and the sound and ergonomics are both great. It's not litz wire, so theoretically it may discolor, but my cable is sleeved in paracord. But yeah, that jacket melts away quickly. Next time I'll use a heat sink clip before I tin the wire.
Ditto, with the heatsinks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #9,264 of 10,535
anyway, you'll know it soon, because i'm going to waste $38 USD in a piece of expensive neotech wire in europe (authorized distributor), just to compare it with the supposedly same wire (OEM) i bought at china.
By the way, I've read your cable measurements thread - tremendous work! In it you say that certain AliExpress wires are the best you've heard. Am I right to assume you still haven't compared them to Neotech hook-up wires (red ones)?

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #9,265 of 10,535
My on golng quest to find wider internal diameter paracord style sleeving continues. I need something to accommodate 8 or 12 core cables, which ar 7-8mm+ diameter. jumbo laces work quite well but top out lengthwise at 180-200mm, so i've been looking at products like this

https://www.paracord.eu/ppm/round-basic-coloured-cord/10-mm-rope/multi

But i wandered has anyone had experience using this or similar and if so is it a similar structure, eg with removable filling, as paracord? and if so how supple is the sleeve. I have emailed paracord.eu to enquire but they're really slow to respond. thanks:)

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #9,268 of 10,535
Which cable is better from this options:
AWG 22 - copper silver plated
AWG 18 - copper tin plated
?

Generally the first one although silver plate will give you a negligible difference in performance over straight copper. Better to spend more on better mono crystal copper. Is this for an HP cable?

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #9,269 of 10,535
Generally the first one although silver plate will give you a negligible difference in performance over straight copper. Better to spend more on better mono crystal copper. Is this for an HP cable?
Actually is for speakers internal use.

I know that AWG18>AWG22
and Silver coated is better. but still I got offer only for AWG22 silver coated.

What can you suggest?

Silver conductivity 63 x 10^6 siemens/meter
Copper conductivity 59 x 10^6 siemens/meter
AWG 22 Diameter: 0.025inch/ 0.64mm
AWG 18 Diameter: 0.036inch/0.91mm

silver conductivity over copper bigger by ~7%
AWG18 diameter bigger then AWG22 by ~30%

I estimate something like~ AWG18 > AWG22silver by 23%

still dont know which one can be better.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #9,270 of 10,535
Actually is for speakers internal use.

I know that AWG18>AWG22
and Silver coated is better. but still I got offer only for AWG22 silver coated.

What can you suggest?

Silver conductivity 63 x 10^6 siemens/meter
Copper conductivity 59 x 10^6 siemens/meter
AWG 22 Diameter: 0.025inch/ 0.64mm
AWG 18 Diameter: 0.036inch/0.91mm

silver conductivity over copper bigger by ~7%
AWG18 diameter bigger then AWG22 by ~30%

I estimate something like~ AWG18 > AWG22silver by 23%

still dont know which one can be better.
Obviously it depends on your budget and aspiration for performance, but 20 or 22awg occ silver is probably going to give you optimum performance, with the only downside being cost, neotechs 22awg silver upocc hook up is about £10 per foot, and double that for 20awg, there 18awg upocc copper is about £1.80 per foot. If you only need a small amount I’d go with the slightly lighter gauge silver, but the 18awg copper is very good and out performs the various spc ive tried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back