DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #8,942 of 10,535
My 2 pennies worth, Ive been experimenting building cables with lots of different wire. Neotech’s UP-OCC wins hands down for from performance point of view even if it’s a bit pricier than some the performance to cost ratio is really good. Their copper both single
And multistrand is probably the best value, Sq-wise has all benefits of good copper, full sounding, great bass and lovely natural midrange, but unlike ofc and other cheaper occ wire I’ve tried, it retains an airy extended top end with great precision and dynamism across the range, something you’d expect from silver in the mix.

Similarly neotech’s silver is a much more rounded performer than other silver wire I’ve tried, to the point where blind testing people have sworn its copper. It has a very natural sound with but detail retrieval and separation are a step up from the copper.

I’ve just finished a cable with their silver gold up occ and yes it’s expensive and a pig to work with as it’s so delicate. It also takes a good 200hrs to run in but when it does it’s astonishingly good, big talk I know, but the depth it’s added with my stellia/ h2 / fa euphoria amp, is something to behold, it’s stunning in every other facet of its presentation and our performs £1000 cables
I’ve bought (which i also likes a lot). A
2 metre 4 core 28awg cable cost about £350, a 3 metre pure copper 8 core 24awg cost about 75, 8 core copper silver mix 3m about £220 (best value for money imo vs SQ). As for wire I’ve tried various litz, multi-strand and single core versions, I personally think the sq is ever so marginally better with single core but you lose flexibility, so I’d go with multistrand for 5 metres. I braid pairs cores into one then braid them into one using a power drill which gives a nice even hassle free braid. Obvs others have different preferences here, hope that helps a bit :)

Is "Neotech STDCT multistrand copper wire" the right wire?
It says 7 strands of 0.2mm wire for AWG 24.

In the German forum I was advised to go for 0.05mm strands, 102 strands of 0.05mm OFC wire for AWG 24 ...

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #8,943 of 10,535
Sorry if this has been asked before ( at almost 600 pages this thread is a bit confusing... :wink: ):

I recently bought a Hifiman HE-1000 SE and want to build my own balanced cables, appr. 5 meters long.

I already bought rhodium-plated connectors and want to terminate the cable with two 3-pin XLR plugs (that fit my amp SPL Phonitor 2).

Are there any suggestions for the cable / litz wire that don't break the bank ?

So far I have a recommendation for a braided cross symmetrical cable ( 2x 4 OFC / OCC copper litz, the litz of Sommer Cable SC-Square 4-Core Mk II)
from a German Forum.
I just made a cable from SC square 4 core. Good quality cable. Highly recommended. As is the sc-peacock cable from sommer.

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #8,944 of 10,535
Is "Neotech STDCT multistrand copper wire" the right wire?
It says 7 strands of 0.2mm wire for AWG 24.

In the German forum I was advised to go for 0.05mm strands, 102 strands of 0.05mm OFC wire for AWG 24 ...

Yes thats the one and i'll stick my neck and say once you've heard UP-OCC you wont look at OFC copper again, it really is amazing stuff. There's a good reason why Neotech supply most very high end hifi companies they're just way ahead on wire tech. Obvs there are other opinions out there, but i'm confident you'll be happy once you hear it. :)

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #8,945 of 10,535
Yes thats the one and i'll stick my neck and say once you've heard UP-OCC you wont look at OFC copper again, it really is amazing stuff. There's a good reason why Neotech supply most very high end hifi companies they're just way ahead on wire tech. Obvs there are other opinions out there, but i'm confident you'll be happy once you hear it. :)
I back this guy he convinced.

I’m in the process of making the same cable. Arctic cables claim to use the same cables but price it a little more obviously for their labour + costs etc etc t.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #8,946 of 10,535
Where are you getting the wire from please.

Thank you
Local distributor of neotech :)
I have sent email to Neotech but no reply and contact through distrubutor is OK @@

Jun 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #8,947 of 10,535
I just made a cable from SC square 4 core. Good quality cable. Highly recommended. As is the sc-peacock cable from sommer.

The SC Peacock Mk II cable is the original cable for the Beyerdynamic T1, chosen by Beyerdynamic for a good reason I guess :smile_phones:

Another good cable for XLR-adapter cables or extension cables is the SC Albedo cable.

I made a XLR 4-pin to 2x XLR 3-pin adapter with the SC Albedo cable.

I am waiting for the cables and plugs to arrive ....

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #8,949 of 10,535
Is there a recommended technique for the braiding of litz cables?
I want to go for a cable with 8 cores (4 for each channel)...
You can braid them as You wish. But this 8-strand "Herringbone" braid is most common one:

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #8,950 of 10,535
Hey guys I did what you suggested.
I bought a stock sennheiser hd650 cable, cut off the 6.3mm and replaced it with a 4pin xlr :)

received_2744848172253441.jpeg IMG_20190618_173238.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #8,951 of 10,535
Hey guys I did what you suggested.
I bought a stock sennheiser hd650 cable, cut off the 6.3mm and replaced it with a 4pin xlr :)

Looks good. The cables look enamelled still so you'll be fine, but might be worth heat shrinking each contact in the plug to stop them shorting at a later date. If you plan on doing any more look into this otherwise, Congratulations on making our first Balanced Cable. :)

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #8,953 of 10,535
Does anyone so happen know how to disassemble this Stax normal bias connector for soldering? It's an Amphenol connector that I bought from an ebay seller - I asked the seller yesterday but haven't gotten a reply yet.

1 - kxfJZRo.jpg 2 - ecCb1kr.jpg 3 - 0XoAwCT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back