DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #8,956 of 10,535
Universal opening device:
hammer-tool-for-nails-725x482.jpg

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #8,957 of 10,535
Does anyone so happen know how to disassemble this Stax normal bias connector for soldering? It's an Amphenol connector that I bought from an ebay seller - I asked the seller yesterday but haven't gotten a reply yet.

I read this on headcase. Might apply

You push the wires through the pins and solder them indirectly. I usually tin the wire, feed the wire through the pin, feed solder in from the other side and heat up the side of the pin. Works like a charm with a very strong bond.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #8,958 of 10,535
*snip*. Neotech’s UP-OCC *snip*

Maybe I missed something, but I went to look up Neotech and oddly they don't list their phone number or address. Heck, i can't even find what country they're in.

In all honesty, when buying wire for DIY cables, you should base your decisions on look and feel since barring faulty assembly of the cable, you'll never hear the difference whether it be UP-OCC, OCC, or Silver. Any differences when comparing properly functioning cables is all in your head.

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #8,959 of 10,535
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase some 3.5mm stereo (or mono; I'm not entirely sure which I need honestly) plugs that would work with the Audeze Sine DX? I'm going to build a cable for it, and I'm having the hardest time finding plugs that are slim enough to fit into the very recessed Jack on the DX.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #8,960 of 10,535
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase some 3.5mm stereo (or mono; I'm not entirely sure which I need honestly) plugs that would work with the Audeze Sine DX? I'm going to build a cable for it, and I'm having the hardest time finding plugs that are slim enough to fit into the very recessed Jack on the DX.
Ask @PLUSSOUND audio, since they sell DIY and cables for the sine.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #8,961 of 10,535
I'm also looking for some connectors for Hifiman HE-4XX. they take 2 pole 2.5mm although the stock cable is 3 pole. I bought these from Ebay, but the tip is about .020" shorter than the stock one and I have to wiggle it to get it to work and it cuts out all the time. the jacks on the headset are recessed a bit I need a thin body or at least a step as these have. any idea's? The struggle is real trying to find quality 2.5mm connectors. its all china junk.

s-l1600.jpg

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #8,962 of 10,535
Maybe I missed something, but I went to look up Neotech and oddly they don't list their phone number or address. Heck, i can't even find what country they're in.

In all honesty, when buying wire for DIY cables, you should base your decisions on look and feel since barring faulty assembly of the cable, you'll never hear the difference whether it be UP-OCC, OCC, or Silver. Any differences when comparing properly functioning cables is all in your head.

Have you heard it yet? Look and feel doesn’t really bother me as my first priority is sound quality. When I started making cables I had no particular loyalty or preconceptions. The neotech up-occ cable in my experience is the best I’ve heard by a considerable and very noticeable margin, whereas with most other wire i tried the differences were slight.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your post but If you don’t believe the type of wire and it’s construction can alter sound performance, i am not going to try and change your mind. Each to their own, but I’m happy with the results I get and can hear very clear audible differences the most notable of which is with this manufacturers mono-crystal cable :)

Jul 1, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #8,963 of 10,535
I am sure that there is an audible difference between OFC, OCC copper, UP-OCC copper, silver-plated OCC copper and pure silver and everything comes at a price, pure silver being the most expensive.
A mixture of pure silver and UP-OCC like 2 wires of silver and 2 wires of copper per driver is another possibility.

UP-OCC and pure silver are expensive wires and that makes experimenting with different materials very challenging.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #8,965 of 10,535
I'm also looking for some connectors for Hifiman HE-4XX. they take 2 pole 2.5mm although the stock cable is 3 pole. I bought these from Ebay, but the tip is about .020" shorter than the stock one and I have to wiggle it to get it to work and it cuts out all the time. the jacks on the headset are recessed a bit I need a thin body or at least a step as these have. any idea's? The struggle is real trying to find quality 2.5mm connectors. its all china junk...

Most high-end cable manufacturers use VIABLUE 3.5mm mini stereo connectors but there are no 2.5mm connectors made by VIABLUE.

Those 2.5 mm connectors are quite challenging mechanically.
Redco Audio offers some 2.5mm mini stereo connectors that look promising, but I haven't used them myself https://www.redco.com/Redco-2.5mm-Male-TRS-w-Collar.html

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #8,968 of 10,535
I am sure that there is an audible difference between OFC, OCC copper, UP-OCC copper, silver-plated OCC copper and pure silver and everything comes at a price, pure silver being the most expensive.
A mixture of pure silver and UP-OCC like 2 wires of silver and 2 wires of copper per driver is another possibility.

UP-OCC and pure silver are expensive wires and that makes experimenting with different materials very challenging.

Agreed and i can vouch for mixing silver and copper UP-OCC in an 8 core cable, sounding fantastic and probably the best value vs performance cable I’ve made.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #8,969 of 10,535
Corrosion inside used/vintage headphones cables
the white mesh strings covered by green and the copper covered to, black or white coloring.
can It damage the sound.
should I replace it?
lcPjx5G.jpg

6S3vfnQ.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #8,970 of 10,535
Yes oxidation reduces conductivity, and conductivity is the biggest contributor to quality sound reproduction. As to whether you can actually hear the difference, well, that is a lot harder to determine.

Was the oxidation found just at the end of the cable, or are you noticing it everywhere you opened up the sheathing?
You can purchase some DeoxIT (the red one) and clean your wires ends if you think it is worth saving them. When making cables I always treat areas exposed to air with deoxit gold (the yellow one) to reduce long term oxidation.

This is one of the reasons why litz wire is great: it doesn't oxidise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back