DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 3, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #8,971 of 10,535
Sorry I know I’ve already asked a similar question re large diameter paracord sleeving . I’ve used the largest available from paracord.eu, the paramax which is about 6mm diameter. This is fine for 4 core, but not wide enough for 8 and 12 core. So my question is, has anyone found wide diameter sleeving made from soft material, ideally similar finish to paracord 7-8mm plus. Any suggestions gratefully received :):)

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #8,972 of 10,535
Yes oxidation reduces conductivity, and conductivity is the biggest contributor to quality sound reproduction. As to whether you can actually hear the difference, well, that is a lot harder to determine.

Was the oxidation found just at the end of the cable, or are you noticing it everywhere you opened up the sheathing?
You can purchase some DeoxIT (the red one) and clean your wires ends if you think it is worth saving them. When making cables I always treat areas exposed to air with deoxit gold (the yellow one) to reduce long term oxidation.

This is one of the reasons why litz wire is great: it doesn't oxidise.
It used cable with mesh matirial that absorbed lots of water throth the years.
I sure that the oxide/corrosion is on the middle of the cable.
I short some of the cables from the corrosion parts on the ends but I sure it useless.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #8,973 of 10,535
Sorry I know I’ve already asked a similar question re large diameter paracord sleeving . I’ve used the largest available from paracord.eu, the paramax which is about 6mm diameter. This is fine for 4 core, but not wide enough for 8 and 12 core. So my question is, has anyone found wide diameter sleeving made from soft material, ideally similar finish to paracord 7-8mm plus. Any suggestions gratefully received :):)
take the risk and order one pair of the 8mm that I suggested, they pretty hard to install but I like them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Waxed...var=521279153256&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
but they no more then 1.8-1.9m

I continue to order with anormouse prices laces for headphones cable, instead of paracords, from plastic matterials that I disslike.

the real lace from Waxed Cotton is much softer and feels more quality.
unfurtunaly on fire its not melts as the plastic paracord, but its burn.
I try to cover it by hot-glue and then by heat shrink

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120-cm-long-6-mm-round-waxed-Cotton-Black-Boot-laces-Single-and-Two-pair-Packs/303131797201?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=602064015331

KVMJeXV.jpg

I used this lace for this cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Waxed-Cotton-Shoe-Laces-Dress-Shoelace-Coloured-leather-Bootlace-8mm-Wide/222409591649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=521279153256&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I searching for the original matterial that I could order by metters, I payed too much for it!
my cable standarts is 1.6-1.8m long.
takes me long desicions to decide it. its not too short but not too long for my underdesk amp.

Because of it I started to build mount cables like it:
Planning to create unplugged mount for most of my headphones.
This is my first testing.
I mod this headphones to work good with "left sided cable" as same as "double sided cable " (the top cable between the caps (that goes through the headband) connect the right driver to the mount)
I use the most fat cable that I found to this version, to check if they improve the quality.
Most of the headphones will receive the 4pin mini-xlr cables, but the smallest one will receive the 4pole TRRS 3.5mm mount.
I tilt the mount a little bit to the front/top to make the cable fill more comfort.
*sorry for the quality

TRRS 3.5mm
9VDhY0l.jpg

QlIfgY2.jpg

9WEaqKy.jpg

mini XLR 4pin
Lo8GAkW.jpg

avRC6D0.jpg

QycIenb.jpg

cD3aCsN.jpg

*I not have enough free time, but I want to apply this connector to the most of my headphones.
*I want to post/ or hope that someone post and open a thread about "Mounting mod for headphones"
And yes, I plan to create all of my my headphones as this two, to function on the one side (left) and as both sides (left and right) (with the specific cable)

If you accidentally plug the left-sided cable to the Right side you will hear only the Left channel but only on the Right side cap
If you accidentally switch side on the dual-sided cable, it will still function, the same side that you connect the cable will function.

I made too much rebuildings to my cables only to replace the laces/paracord
I decently understand you, I put the same connection on many headphones and plan to make it on more.
I just wanted to adjust one cable for all .
and many say me that the better way is to buy new one expensive that accept all the option with balanced unplugged cable
Doo4vxG.jpg

HPSmezX.jpg

5Jh3lZ9.jpg

MRMaR0l.jpg

wd2op7A.jpg

sx3x3eN.jpg

y4sFAyG.jpg

This is my first prototype
after that I create my most loved balanced cable
zFukVy1.jpg

then mode the original ones to this connector
Fu5owIh.jpg

Firs nylon sleeve mod
W8iPNYL.jpg

ayjZfRd.jpg

O0cworu.jpg

Second sleeve with cheap bad quality laces mod
DzmJGwt.jpg

Last sleeve replaced with cotton waxed laces mod, where I could
RplTsfT.jpg

The global cables almost the same

It not so necessary to follow my cables history, but thanks to this thread I can :dt880smile:
the modding ideal proccess is too long :cold_sweat:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #8,974 of 10,535
take the risk and order one pair of the 8mm that I suggested, they pretty hard to install but I like them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Waxed...var=521279153256&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
but they no more then 1.8-1.9m

I continue to order with anormouse prices laces for headphones cable, instead of paracords, from plastic matterials that I disslike.

the real lace from Waxed Cotton is much softer and feels more quality.
unfurtunaly on fire its not melts as the plastic paracord, but its burn.
I try to cover it by hot-glue and then by heat shrink

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120-cm-long-6-mm-round-waxed-Cotton-Black-Boot-laces-Single-and-Two-pair-Packs/303131797201?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=602064015331

KVMJeXV.jpg

I used this lace for this cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Waxed-Cotton-Shoe-Laces-Dress-Shoelace-Coloured-leather-Bootlace-8mm-Wide/222409591649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=521279153256&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I searching for the original matterial that I could order by metters, I payed too much for it!
my cable standarts is 1.6-1.8m long.
takes me long desicions to decide it. its not too short but not too long for my underdesk amp.

Because of it I started to build mount cables like it:

I made too much rebuildings to my cables only to replace the laces/paracord

the modding ideal proccess is too long :cold_sweat:

Great suggestion thank you :):) just ordered a selection of different wide laces from different vendors on amazon. Thanks again:)

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #8,976 of 10,535
I bought 4 different sets but this pair were the only ones which opened up nicely, but went on really well and were ideal for this 8 core cable and would definitely accommodate a larger diameter than this. Nice soft finish and didnt melt when i was putting the heat shrink on which always good :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012KZY2KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tip off, its a great solution for cables around 2 meter mark. :):)

Re the cable itself i'm experimenting by adding UPOCC neotech multi-strand copper to the Silver Gold UPOCC, because i finally put my finger one thing that wasnt quite perfect with the straigh SG cable, it was missing the sub-bass depth which my copper/silver had, so hopefully this will be rectified, but i can definitely see another 4 cores of silver being added at some point to make this up to a 12 core... especially now i have the perfect sleeving solution!

SG&Copper UPOCC 8 Core 2m_1.JPG
SG&Copper UPOCC 8 Core 2m.JPG

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #8,977 of 10,535
This office chair is the number one cable killer
office-1.jpg

no cable is damaged even today, but when I found the cable got stuck under one wheel, its makes me unhappy.

this is one of the the reasons why I made my cables shorter.
the main reason is quality.
but for measorment of the cable length I took the most short distance when my hand can reach the room's door and the maximum distance when the cable have not enough length to got stuck under the wheels.

I know about the option to tie the cable, but I not like it.
someone knows another ways?

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #8,978 of 10,535
Hi there,
I plan to make a balanced cable for my Fostex TH900 mk2. I figured out the plugs, but i'm confused about the cable itself.
Is there a faq or introduction text/page that explains the abreviations and differences and what i have to pay attention to when i pick a cable for a balanced headphone connection?
Of course i tried to google it, but not very successful.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #8,979 of 10,535
Fostex TH900 mk2 plugs cost lots of money.
You have to buy some cable that splits to 2 seperate cables and having 4.5mm external diameter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...lgo_pvid=cfc8f8f5-7a9a-44cd-b527-c8d9bb28c894
HTB1.oFxaBWD3KVjSZFsq6AqkpXaQ.jpg

If the other side will use 4xlr connector, I think that even 9mm cable will fit there.

You have to buy cable that splits to 4cores (cables that splits to 2 seperate cables will also have 4cores)

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #8,980 of 10,535
those look just like sennheiser HD 600 plugs and just like those they SUCK IMO. why hasnt the indusrty landed on a standard headphone plug. its dumb every brand using some funky plug. dual 3.5mm mono or single 2.5mm balanced should be it.

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #8,981 of 10,535
those look just like sennheiser HD 600 plugs and just like those they SUCK IMO. why hasnt the indusrty landed on a standard headphone plug. its dumb every brand using some funky plug. dual 3.5mm mono or single 2.5mm balanced should be it.
They look similar to the sennheiser plugs, but they are not the same. The way the plug lock is different, and the they insert slightly more than the sell plugs.

You can get cheap senn plugs on eBay or aliexpress and use a utility knife to trim a tiny pit of the plastic off to allow for slight more insertion.

As for wire, just get some mogomi or canare or other good brand quad mic cable. I have lots listed on my site, as well as a lot of info a newbie cable maker might find useful.

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #8,982 of 10,535
Thanks for all your input.
Yes, its annoying that there are so many different headphone plugs and the Fostex are really expensive.
Maybe i get cheap Sennheiser plugs first and try to cut them for a deeper insertion, if that doesn't work i can still get the expensive Fostex plugs.

I thought about the Mogami 2893 mic cable which has 4.8 mm diameter. Would this probably work?

Then i have to pick a suitable splitter that is big enough...

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #8,983 of 10,535
The amp side would be either a 4xlr (desktop amp) or a Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced plug if i decide to use it for my portable dap, a iBasso DX220 with Amp8 which has this type of output.
I havn't found the pinout for the Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced plug yet... does somebody have a hint?

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #8,984 of 10,535
Thanks for all your input.
Yes, its annoying that there are so many different headphone plugs and the Fostex are really expensive.
Maybe i get cheap Sennheiser plugs first and try to cut them for a deeper insertion, if that doesn't work i can still get the expensive Fostex plugs.

I thought about the Mogami 2893 mic cable which has 4.8 mm diameter. Would this probably work?

Then i have to pick a suitable splitter that is big enough...
26 AWG
the cable looks smaller,
do you sure that you can splitt it ?

as I said before, I bought the "Sommer 200-0551 Peacock Dual Balanced Cable" and decided to use it on my headphones.
Beyerdynamic T1 gen1 using the first, gen2 using much comfort cable.
each cable having ~4.5mm diameter.
so It wouldn't fit to sennheiser plug

I will take for you the measurements

kShySY3.jpg

try to compare
HTB1.oFxaBWD3KVjSZFsq6AqkpXaQ.jpg

For sennheiser hd6xx I using this cable.
Its easy to split it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4core-Copper-Wire-DIY-Audio-RCA-XLR-Cable-MR202-2AT-Balance/332044643453
Not so flexible when you split it. but it having isolation for each spliting pair
only 24awg but with shielding for each pair.
the sound quality is pretty good but not enough
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #8,985 of 10,535
The amp side would be either a 4xlr (desktop amp) or a Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced plug if i decide to use it for my portable dap, a iBasso DX220 with Amp8 which has this type of output.
I havn't found the pinout for the Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced plug yet... does somebody have a hint?

Is this what you’re after? The soldering points on the inside correspond with the outer rings, but check with a multi-meter before connecting. Oh and you don’t use the ground connection.
E3E51121-026F-4729-8371-643980368765.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back