DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #8,926 of 10,535
Hello everyone :)

I want to use my hd660s with a 4pin XLR balanced amplifier.
The problem is that the cables are ridiculously expensive for my taste so I'm thinking about making an adapter.

The hd660s come with a 4.4mm Pentaconn cable and I want to make an adapter for it.
The parts I wanted to use are:

- Female 4.4mm
- Male 4pin XLR

A male 4pin XLR is easy to find https://www.thomannmusic.com/neutrik_nc4_mxx_b.htm but i can't find any female 4.4mm (for europe).
Is it possible to use this https://fiio-shop.de/kabel/807/fiio-lb-4.4m, cut of the cables and solder them into the 4pin XLR ?

And why does pentaconn and 4pin XLR have ground connections but 2.5mm does not?

Thank you!!!
Buy a Sennheiser HD650 cable from Sennheiser for $11, then determinate it. Make an XLR to SE adapter with the plug you cut off. The sennheiser cable is a very good cable.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd-650--cable

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #8,927 of 10,535
Buy a Sennheiser HD650 cable from Sennheiser for $11, then determinate it. Make an XLR to SE adapter with the plug you cut off. The sennheiser cable is a very good cable.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd-650--cable

But I want to use the headphone balanced, else I can just use the normal 1/4inch cable.
That is why I either have to get a 4pin xlr cable (expensive) or a pentaconn to 4pin adapter (since i already have a 4.4mm pentaconn cable) :/

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #8,928 of 10,535
But I want to use the headphone balanced, else I can just use the normal 1/4inch cable.
That is why I either have to get a 4pin xlr cable (expensive) or a pentaconn to 4pin adapter (since i already have a 4.4mm pentaconn cable) :/

I think that the idea is that you buy that cable and replace the end 6.3mm / 1/4inch connector with an XLR connector as the headphone connectors are annoying to solder and the cable is expensive, but the standard cable is pretty good already and up until the end connector is balanced. There are a few companies near me that supply this service so i have bought a few of their off cuts and made balanced cables this way myself.

You've already sourced where you can get the XLR (Neutrik NC4 MXX-B) so it should be a simple operation :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #8,929 of 10,535
I think that the idea is that you buy that cable and replace the end 6.3mm / 1/4inch connector with an XLR connector as the headphone connectors are annoying to solder and the cable is expensive, but the standard cable is pretty good already and up until the end connector is balanced. There are a few companies near me that supply this service so i have bought a few of their off cuts and made balanced cables this way myself.

You've already sourced where you can get the XLR (Neutrik NC4 MXX-B) so it should be a simple operation :)
https://www.markertek.com/product/nc4mx-b/neutrik-nc4mx-b-xlr-male-4-pin-black-gold

Those are indeed fine connectors and if you are going to attach any connector to a cable, the XLR is one of the easiest; next are connectors with solder lugs.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #8,930 of 10,535
@RestlessZombi is correct. It’s relatively easy to convert the stock cable from SE to XLR. The only challenge is the wire inside the cable is enamel coated. All you have to do is cut off the SE plus (leave 6” od wire so you can turn the old plug into an adapter), gently strip the wire, the put a small glob d solder on the tip of the iron, then hold the enameled wire in the glob of solder for a 30-60 seconds. That will melt off the enamel. Then you simply solder on the XLR connector.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #8,931 of 10,535
Managed to get a couple of hours listening in with then h2 and silver/gold cable. Good news the cables excesses in the treble have pulled back. It’s still pretty crystalline but mostly in a good way. The signature in general has become fuller and more natural in tone, the detail is still awesome as is separation and dynamism. The stage
Is wider and deeper although this is not as dramatic as it is with my euphoria supplying the amplification in front of the hugo. It’s genuinely astonishing how much depth is added via this set-up, i mean just wow!!

The burn process never fails to surprise with the neotech cables, day 1 bass mute a bit closed, then day 2 from no where it booms and becomes completely exaggerated, then from there things begin to settle down with each day bringing more refinement and coherency to each frequency. The treble on the other hand stays more consistent throughout, but loses it edges, refines and more detail is revealed. The mids are the last element to flourish, they’ve sounded good but not completely coherent and now today suddenly voices especially female have found body weight and just sound natural and in the room.

Overall i can say this wire is worth the money, I definitely not heard detail, depth and dynamism like this on any cable I’ve bought or made, which is quite a bold statement as I’ve spent into the 1000s on cables before (and at the time been very happy). Would I change anything, in my set up, no I don’t think i would. I don’t think id add copper into the mix, I think the gold on the whole takes the edge off the silver and without losing any of its benefits. I might add another 4 cores at some point to see what that does, but i know from have had 8 core and 4 core versions of a couple of effect audio cables, that it’s not always a case of more is best, just different.

This cable is definitely good match for the stellia, superb for the euforia and really with the hugo2, but if your set up is bright it could be too much, but I’d be really interested to hear it with the dx220 and the nutubes amp9!

Cheers, rob:)

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #8,932 of 10,535
Anyone have any experience making a cable for an electrostatic headphone?

I'd like to make an adapter for an incoming Beyerdynamic ET1000 that has a 6 pin DIN plug. I was thinking of making a 6 pin DIN female to Stax 6 pin normal bias plug. Just don't know which wires to use and where to get them.

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #8,933 of 10,535

https://www.markertek.com/product/nc4mx-b/neutrik-nc4mx-b-xlr-male-4-pin-black-gold

Those are indeed fine connectors and if you are going to attach any connector to a cable, the XLR is one of the easiest; next are connectors with solder lugs.
@RestlessZombi is correct. It’s relatively easy to convert the stock cable from SE to XLR. The only challenge is the wire inside the cable is enamel coated. All you have to do is cut off the SE plus (leave 6” od wire so you can turn the old plug into an adapter), gently strip the wire, the put a small glob d solder on the tip of the iron, then hold the enameled wire in the glob of solder for a 30-60 seconds. That will melt off the enamel. Then you simply solder on the XLR connector.

Thanks a lot guys I'm going to try that then :)

I didn't know that the 1/4inch cable was balanced until the connector.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #8,934 of 10,535
Anyone have any experience making a cable for an electrostatic headphone?

I'd like to make an adapter for an incoming Beyerdynamic ET1000 that has a 6 pin DIN plug. I was thinking of making a 6 pin DIN female to Stax 6 pin normal bias plug. Just don't know which wires to use and where to get them.
Where do you got the Stax plugs ?

You can make an addapter from the same headphone cable, just cut a piece of it.
Credit to some users that helped me about this issue in the past (bruma, MrTechAgent, realstar)
ZZLrsHq.png

I recable this headphones first, with this cable "Sommer 200-0551 Peacock Dual Balanced Cable Black" this one used on Beyerdynamic T1.1 headphones.
It not the best quality for cable choose, but it is AWG24 and very flexible.
at this days I instal the driver of Et1000 inside T1.1 (still keeping the original body) because I prefer the new design with the ear pads (Plan to install this drivers inside Dt880pro instead of T1.1 becoase it pricing and instal some Stax Lambda Normal 6pin cable).
For me they sound equals to Dt880 but without the bass, and less then T1
What is your sound impression from this headphones?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #8,935 of 10,535
Where do you got the Stax plugs ?

You can make an addapter from the same headphone cable, just cut a piece of it.
Credit to some users that helped me about this issue in the past (bruma, MrTechAgent, realstar)
ZZLrsHq.png

I recable this headphones first, with this cable "Sommer 200-0551 Peacock Dual Balanced Cable Black" this one used on Beyerdynamic T1.1 headphones.
It not the best quality for cable choose, but it is AWG24 and very flexible.
at this days I instal the driver of Et1000 inside T1.1 (still keeping the original body) because I prefer the new design with the ear pads (Plan to install this drivers inside Dt880pro instead of T1.1 becoase it pricing and instal some Stax Lambda Normal 6pin cable).
For me they sound equals to Dt880 but without the bass, and less then T1
What is your sound impression from this headphones?

I don't have the Stax plug yet though it seems there are some available on ebay. I suppose I could just cut off the wire and reterminate it if it comes to it, though I'd like to keep the cable as is if possible.

I'm unable to test them since I don't have them yet (should be here tomorrow US time) and they won't come with the N1000 energizer. I'm also looking for a cheap Stax normal bias energizer to test them on.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #8,936 of 10,535
Sorry if this has been asked before ( at almost 600 pages this thread is a bit confusing... :wink: ):

I recently bought a Hifiman HE-1000 SE and want to build my own balanced cables, appr. 5 meters long.

I already bought rhodium-plated connectors and want to terminate the cable with two 3-pin XLR plugs (that fit my amp SPL Phonitor 2).

Are there any suggestions for the cable / litz wire that don't break the bank ?

So far I have a recommendation for a braided cross symmetrical cable ( 2x 4 OFC / OCC copper litz, the litz of Sommer Cable SC-Square 4-Core Mk II)
from a German Forum.

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #8,937 of 10,535
My 2 pennies worth, Ive been experimenting building cables with lots of different wire. Neotech’s UP-OCC wins hands down for from performance point of view even if it’s a bit pricier than some the performance to cost ratio is really good. Their copper both single
And multistrand is probably the best value, Sq-wise has all benefits of good copper, full sounding, great bass and lovely natural midrange, but unlike ofc and other cheaper occ wire I’ve tried, it retains an airy extended top end with great precision and dynamism across the range, something you’d expect from silver in the mix.

Similarly neotech’s silver is a much more rounded performer than other silver wire I’ve tried, to the point where blind testing people have sworn its copper. It has a very natural sound with but detail retrieval and separation are a step up from the copper.

I’ve just finished a cable with their silver gold up occ and yes it’s expensive and a pig to work with as it’s so delicate. It also takes a good 200hrs to run in but when it does it’s astonishingly good, big talk I know, but the depth it’s added with my stellia/ h2 / fa euphoria amp, is something to behold, it’s stunning in every other facet of its presentation and our performs £1000 cables
I’ve bought (which i also likes a lot). A
2 metre 4 core 28awg cable cost about £350, a 3 metre pure copper 8 core 24awg cost about 75, 8 core copper silver mix 3m about £220 (best value for money imo vs SQ). As for wire I’ve tried various litz, multi-strand and single core versions, I personally think the sq is ever so marginally better with single core but you lose flexibility, so I’d go with multistrand for 5 metres. I braid pairs cores into one then braid them into one using a power drill which gives a nice even hassle free braid. Obvs others have different preferences here, hope that helps a bit :)

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #8,938 of 10,535
Just a quick report back on working with Neotech's UP-OCC silver/gold wire. I made an 4 core headphone cable for my Focal Stellia and wow this stuff is delicate much harder to work with than any other neotech wire i've used. At 0.1mm per strand width very easy to break one or all the strands, with a moment too long with the soldering iron or if you exert any pressure on it. Braiding the wire is also quite a frustrating process as it does not conform to the braid and will completely unravel at the drop of hat, that is until you braid the two channel braids into a single trunk and then it holds. Once i reset my patience :wink: it wasnt too much of problem, but anyone who's thinking about using it and is relatively inexperienced, my advice is take your time :wink:

The good news is the pain is all worth in terms the cables sonic performance. I cant give a full report as i'm only at about 100hrs burn and i reckon this stuff needs 150-300hrs for the presentation to completely settle down and perform consistently. BUT wow so far it's outperforming every other combination i've tried, most noticeably in depth which is astonishing, as is the level of detail retrieval and seperation. It might not be great in brighter systems as its clarity and snap in the treble is on the verge of brutal, but in tube set-up its sounding very promising.

P.s for the eagle eyed among you, yes the 3.5mm connectors are different and no i hadnt noticed until i saw this pic, but with few choice sentiments expressed they're now the same :wink:

Hi, would you mind linking me to the 3.5mm jacks that you used for the headphone end connection please.
Thanks in advance.

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #8,940 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back