DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 27, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #8,881 of 10,535
Does anyone have any experience with different metallurgical makeups of lead free bar solder for audio use tinning litz wire?

It's for use in a small sub 650g solder pot crucible.

A Popular 1 is SAC 305 SN 96.5, AG 3, CU 0.5%, but all are around $60-$65 USD plus shipping. Way too much for a 1 of project.

I'm considering some that are lead free SN 93-99.3% and CU 0.7-7%, but haven't found any info on audio use results. I do prefer Cu sound to Ag.

I'm ideally looking for something big enough for 550-600g crucible, sub $40 USD, uses virgin high quality/purity metal and works very well for audio use and tinning of enameled litz wire. Preferably made in N America, Japan or E.U. unless someone has had great results from stuff made in China or Taiwan and has a specific reliable retailer.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Or should I just use modest to lower quality bar solder to burn enamel off and do initial tin, then use solder wick to remove as much as I can and re-tin the ends with flux and audio grade wire solder?

I could also really use some help on best method/design, product/sources for IEM earcup wire section. Such as clear heat shrink for combination of strain relief and securing memory wire in place. So being flexible, relatively soft, safe for regular contact with skin & sweat and will last through regular use/bending along with keeping memory wire secure.

PE, PO, etc?

Dual or single wall?

Adhesive lined or regular?

Do I want something that shrinks down really tight, fairly tight, modestly tight or just tight enough to secure fairly well. I wonder about the flexibility aspect depending on how tightly it shrinks around wires. Whether 1.75:1 to 4:1 shrink ratio coupled with initial I.D. and the smallest final I.D. once shrunk. Then how thick the wall becomes with the various ratios and sizes also effecting flexibility along with what O.D. ends up in order to fit inside MMCX 4.0-4.4mm size type openings.

Anyone have specific product/store/link they've used with/does job & fits well inside of Eidolic MMCX?

Below the Y split will have Mod PC jacket (it's a bit too stiff and not soft enough IMO for IEM earcup wires) But I'm unsure if I should use silk (which I'll acid dye for great color, wear and light fastness) and if I do use it, should I cover each conductor in silk or do single silk jacket around each channel's bundle of wires?

Should it go over the top or just under the edge of heat shrink for memory wire?

I also still have questions about conductor metal arrangements for hot and ground. I'll have 4×25 AWG cryo UP-OCC Cu litz, 2× or 4× 28 AWG cryo UP-OCC solid core pure Ag, then possible option of adding anywhere from 2-4× 33-26 AWG Cu wire that's either OFC, OCC, Litz or regular stranded core wires. Ideal is more natural, lush, smooth, warmer sounding with good space, air, presentation, layering/cohesion, Soundstage, etc. along with great mids and female vocals.

So which metals and how many conductors for each hot/+ and ground/- ? Even split Cu/Ag 1 of each for +/-, 2× Cu +/2× Ag -, 2× Cu +/1× Cu - & 1× Ag -, 3× Cu +/ 2× Ag -, etc.

May 29, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #8,882 of 10,535
A simpler question: how many cores (for an IEM wire) is getting to be ‘too much’? Will a 60 or 100+ core wire hold its shape well enough in a 2wire twist (for an IEM cable for example)?

May 29, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #8,883 of 10,535
A simpler question: how many cores (for an IEM wire) is getting to be ‘too much’? Will a 60 or 100+ core wire hold its shape well enough in a 2wire twist (for an IEM cable for example)?
Depends how thick is one strand (for example 0.04mm).

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #8,885 of 10,535
Nothing smaller than 0.04 for the options I’ve found for higher count wires.

Anyone?

Anyway, my paracord came in and I found I can fit some of the cheap Litz wire with about 180 strands of 0.04 mentioned earlier in the thread quite nicely in type 100 paracord. Will report back with my impressions of how well it holds shape.

On that note, what margin of extra length to folks recommend when braiding? For example, say I want a slightly longer than standard ‘mobile’ length cable, about 60” / 150cm. How much raw length should I use, or is the difference negligible?

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #8,886 of 10,535
Anyone?
Anyway, my paracord came in and I found I can fit some of the cheap Litz wire with about 180 strands of 0.04 mentioned earlier in the thread quite nicely in type 100 paracord. Will report back with my impressions of how well it holds shape.
Depends how tightly paracord is sleeved around wire.
But imo bigger concern is microphonics caused by silk/polyester envelopoing + paracord.
Also, I suspect that this Litz will be very shape-holder for every move when done with paracord as PO sleeving made it much more "liquid" and soft.

On that note, what margin of extra length to folks recommend when braiding? For example, say I want a slightly longer than standard ‘mobile’ length cable, about 60” / 150cm. How much raw length should I use, or is the difference negligible?
For about 2m 8-core braiding I usually take +20cm wire length. But again, it depends on braiding tightness and sleeve thickness.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #8,887 of 10,535
Depends how tightly paracord is sleeved around wire.
But imo bigger concern is microphonics caused by silk/polyester envelopoing + paracord.
Also, I suspect that this Litz will be very shape-holder for every move when done with paracord as PO sleeving made it much more "liquid" and soft.

For about 2m 8-core braiding I usually take +20cm wire length. But again, it depends on braiding tightness and sleeve thickness.

So roughly 10%, thanks! I’ll report back on how the microphonics are (or aren’t) once it’s done. It’s a snug but not super tight fit, but I guess there’s no good way to test the result other than building a cable. Worst case I’ll be out around 15-20 bucks worth of materials and richer some cable making experience.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #8,888 of 10,535
sorry to interrupt, but i'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a 4.4MM 4.4MM Pentaconn balance connector and wandered if any of you have one. Apologies if its already in the thread but i cant find it. Also if anyone has any recommendations on easy to work with plugs, any suggestions would be gratefully received. thanks Rob:)

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #8,889 of 10,535
sorry to interrupt, but i'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a 4.4MM 4.4MM Pentaconn balance connector and wandered if any of you have one. Apologies if its already in the thread but i cant find it. Also if anyone has any recommendations on easy to work with plugs, any suggestions would be gratefully received. thanks Rob:)

I believe that this is the typical layout. From the tip, the connections are left signal positive (L+), left signal negative (L-), right signal positive (R+) and right signal negative (R-) then Ground (though likely you wont have anything to connect to this)

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #8,890 of 10,535

Hey, i have never worked with a 4.4mm balanced connector, but from what i remember while working with 2.5mm and 3.5mm balanced connectors, the pinout varies between manufacturers.

I made a balanced cable for Oppo PM3 to A&K DAP once, and they differ in pinout, see list below.
Hope this helps!
7402425.png

Jun 3, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #8,891 of 10,535
I believe that this is the typical layout. From the tip, the connections are left signal positive (L+), left signal negative (L-), right signal positive (R+) and right signal negative (R-) then Ground (though likely you wont have anything to connect to this)

Hey, i have never worked with a 4.4mm balanced connector, but from what i remember while working with 2.5mm and 3.5mm balanced connectors, the pinout varies between manufacturers.

I made a balanced cable for Oppo PM3 to A&K DAP once, and they differ in pinout, see list below.
Hope this helps!

Thanks chaps this is really helpful. One further question: if i'm making a four core cable (incidentally mono 3.5mms at the headphone end), does the fact you dont have an earth matter?
thanks again:)

Jun 3, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #8,892 of 10,535
Thanks chaps this is really helpful. One further question: if i'm making a four core cable (incidentally mono 3.5mms at the headphone end), does the fact you dont have an earth matter?
thanks again:)

From what i understand there is no "earth" in headphone cables.

You either have a common ground (L- and R- share the same pin/wire) in unbalanced cables or seperate grounds in balanced cables.
Please anyone correct me if im wrong :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #8,893 of 10,535
You don’t have/need an extra ground. Though I suppose one could wire a braided shield (e.g. using a star quad cable without stripping the jacket for the bit before the split), but I don’t know if it would make a significant difference.

From what I’ve gathered, the de facto standard pinout for 2.5mm TRRS jacks is the Astell&Kern pinout (TRRS - R-/R+/L-/L+). Pentaconn is a Sony standard, and follows the pinout as shown above (TRRRS - L+/L-/R+/R-/(earth)).

Things get messy in the non-standardized 3.5mm balanced outputs which are much less common. And most TRRS 3.5mm jacks in use (smartphones, etc) have the extra ring used for mic or control functions. The diagram above illustrates this nicely.

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #8,894 of 10,535
From what i understand there is no "earth" in headphone cables.

You either have a common ground (L- and R- share the same pin/wire) in unbalanced cables or seperate grounds in balanced cables.
Please anyone correct me if im wrong :)

You don’t have/need an extra ground. Though I suppose one could wire a braided shield (e.g. using a star quad cable without stripping the jacket for the bit before the split), but I don’t know if it would make a significant difference.

From what I’ve gathered, the de facto standard pinout for 2.5mm TRRS jacks is the Astell&Kern pinout (TRRS - R-/R+/L-/L+). Pentaconn is a Sony standard, and follows the pinout as shown above (TRRRS - L+/L-/R+/R-/(earth)).

Things get messy in the non-standardized 3.5mm balanced outputs which are much less common. And most TRRS 3.5mm jacks in use (smartphones, etc) have the extra ring used for mic or control functions. The diagram above illustrates this nicely.

thanks chaps much appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_0246 2.jpg
    IMG_0246 2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #8,895 of 10,535
quick question :wink: can anyone point me in the direction of thick pararcord or sleeving made from similar soft material 6mm+ in diameter. I've found both silk and cotton sleeve but only in raw colour and i'm looking for black. thanks:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back