DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 16, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #8,852 of 10,535
So TRRS is adequate for balancing headphones?

Yes. What people like about Pentaconn vs. 2.5mm is the more solid connection; the 2.5mm connectors are really quite tiny, but A&K made them a sort of standard. The 4.4 is a nice medium size, and increasingly popular.

The most common balanced connector on desktop amps tends to be a 4-pin XLR these days. Which is 4 poles.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #8,853 of 10,535
Unfortunately mini XLR doesn't fit that well into a lot of existing headsets so another system has to be used. If a 4 conductor TRRS is sufficient then it's a pretty straight forward conversion for a headphone with an existing 3.5mm jack and probably the better solution. Why don't people just use a 4-pole 3.5mm TRRS?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #8,854 of 10,535
Unfortunately mini XLR doesn't fit that well into a lot of existing headsets so another system has to be used. If a 4 conductor TRRS is sufficient then it's a pretty straight forward conversion for a headphone with an existing 3.5mm jack and probably the better solution. Why don't people just use a 4-pole 3.5mm TRRS?
Are you talking n the headphone side or the amp side?

The 4pin XLR is the most common connector on the amp side since that’s what most balanced amps use. They are solid and easy to solder.

On the headphone side, since each wire goes to each cup, only 2 wires per cup are needed

May 16, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #8,855 of 10,535
I meant the use of mini XLR, 5-pole phone, mutliple cable connections, etc going to headphones. 3.5mm TRRS for the headphones seems to be the easiest on that end, then terminate the headphone cable into another 4-pole TRRS or mini XLR that can be connected to amps or normal unbalanced outputs with adapters I guess?

May 17, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #8,856 of 10,535
I meant the use of mini XLR, 5-pole phone, mutliple cable connections, etc going to headphones. 3.5mm TRRS for the headphones seems to be the easiest on that end, then terminate the headphone cable into another 4-pole TRRS or mini XLR that can be connected to amps or normal unbalanced outputs with adapters I guess?

I believe you said earlier that you were going to use this cable on the SHP9500s which only has one connection thus both channels will need to be connected on this one side. The 3.5 TRRS would be a good idea since it already as a 3.5mm port available and replacing the built in connector would be easier that way. You'll need to check the internal cabling though as its likely that the internal wiring is not set up as a balanced connection. Standard 3.5mm uses only three terminals so Phillips likely just put 3 terminal connector in with the wiring for only three too.

On the other end its the normal XLR not mini XLR that is standard for Balanced Amps. you could though have a mini XLR and then have different connectors from here for Full Sized XLR, 1/4 inch or 4.4mm TRRRS depending on where your connecting.

A bit like..

3.5mm TRRS --- Cable --- Mini XLR Male

then various connectors after

Mini XLR Female -- Cable-- 1/4 inch TRS
Mini XLR Female -- Cable-- 4.4mm TRRRS
Mini XLR Female -- Cable-- 3.5 TRS

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #8,857 of 10,535
On the other end its the normal XLR not mini XLR that is standard for Balanced Amps. you could though have a mini XLR and then have different connectors from here for Full Sized XLR, 1/4 inch or 4.4mm TRRRS depending on where your connecting.

The thing to watch out for with XLR (mini or full size) is the number of pins - the most common XLR jack/plug in use is for mic or line in or out connections (dual mono/stereo, for example on DACs or recording interfaces), and is 3 pin. There are 4 and 5 pin variants. The 4 pin is what you’ll need for a single balanced output and is most common for headphone use.

May 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #8,858 of 10,535
The thing to watch out for with XLR (mini or full size) is the number of pins - the most common XLR jack/plug in use is for mic or line in or out connections (dual mono/stereo, for example on DACs or recording interfaces), and is 3 pin. There are 4 and 5 pin variants. The 4 pin is what you’ll need for a single balanced output and is most common for headphone use.

Yes, I forgot to mention this, You will want 4 pin XLR for Balanced Headphones or for that matter, at least 4 pin connectors for any Balanced Audio connection. 3 Pin Mono connectors have Positive, Negative and Ground or Shield connections. Though Ground / Shield should only be connected to one end as It will create ground loop and you will have effectively made an Aerial if you connect it to both ends :)

XLR is a fun connector though as you can get 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 pin versions and Neutrik has a version that has 8+2 for when you want your power and network connections to run for super long distances down the same cable.

May 17, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #8,859 of 10,535
Yeah, I know about the pin count on XLRs. Originally I had assumed the metal casing acted as a ground or shielding on those so the 4-pin was actually a 5 conductor hence the thought that TRRRS would have been necessary but I looked at XLR wiring diagrams and realized this is not the case. So if I go balanced, i'll wire in a 3.5mm TRRS, since that would be the easiest to do, and terminate that in a 4 pin mini XLR and make adapters for different needs. But in the mean time since I am not sure I will go for balanced just yet as I am still looking into it. The easiest solution is to get an Fiio K3 which uses a 2.5m TRRS balanced connection, but I am not sure I want to give up the Dolby which just makes everything sound more natural. Until then I will probably start out making a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS for normal usage.

May 19, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #8,860 of 10,535
I am wanting to make a set of headphone cables similar to the ursine audio system. I have already sourced the mini XLR connectors for the split, I need to find a source of quality connectors for the rest of it. My current headphones are 6XX and HE-4XX with 2.5mm trs at each ear. also have questions about the recommended wire. I want these to be balanced, My current main amp is a monoprice 788. I need a good XLR 4 pin and Ill probably make an adapter for all the other connectors as well thats the neat part of their system. I have seen the links in the OP and spent some time last night looking but didnt really find much in the wire area. is there a goto 4 conductor wire people like?

ETA, ok I am getting most of what I need to finish from redco. have inc shipping was ridiculous.
canare 4 wire balanced mic cable mini should be good for the main lead, reg balanced mic cable for the split?

ETA 2 damn even redco shipping is crazy. :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #8,861 of 10,535
I am wanting to make a set of headphone cables similar to the ursine audio system. I have already sourced the mini XLR connectors for the split, I need to find a source of quality connectors for the rest of it. My current headphones are 6XX and HE-4XX with 2.5mm trs at each ear. also have questions about the recommended wire. I want these to be balanced, My current main amp is a monoprice 788. I need a good XLR 4 pin and Ill probably make an adapter for all the other connectors as well thats the neat part of their system. I have seen the links in the OP and spent some time last night looking but didnt really find much in the wire area. is there a goto 4 conductor wire people like?

ETA, ok I am getting most of what I need to finish from redco. have inc shipping was ridiculous.
canare 4 wire balanced mic cable mini should be good for the main lead, reg balanced mic cable for the split?

ETA 2 damn even redco shipping is crazy. :frowning2:
Look at this thread first post by hakuzen: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/
There are also links to different bulk wire, maybe You like something.
PS, good cable material is worth of waiting :wink:

May 21, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #8,862 of 10,535
A question about the PET shielding. One side can work with a variety of diameters underneath it. So say you have a colored cable that you want to see through a black mesh can you use a smaller side PET shield almost opened up to its max diameter and get something closer to a see through or screen effect? I'd like to use an orange cable underneath with sort of a black mesh over top so only half or less of the orange shows through.

May 21, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #8,863 of 10,535
A question about the PET shielding. One side can work with a variety of diameters underneath it. So say you have a colored cable that you want to see through a black mesh can you use a smaller side PET shield almost opened up to its max diameter and get something closer to a see through or screen effect? I'd like to use an orange cable underneath with sort of a black mesh over top so only half or less of the orange shows through.

I haven't tried to use PET Flex shielding but I know tight shielding causes more microphonics down the cable, which is no major issue but avoided if you can. I also feel like the strands would be sharper to handle if pulled open to their near max level.

May 25, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #8,864 of 10,535
Apologies in advance if this question has been covered but i cant find reference to it in thread.

I have recently been experimenting with my first DIY headphone cables. Ive made two both of which i'm are working way better than the stock cable on my focal stellia.
  1. Cable one is 8 core of solid core Neotech SOCT 24AWG OCC copper cable (pictured below)
  2. Cable two is also 8 cores (4 x Neotech SOCT 24AWG OCC & 4 x SOST 28AWG OCC Silver)
As i say despite my novice status i've been really amazed by the sound both of these produce, preferring the mixed cable for general listening and the pure copper for adding body to my large collection of early 90s indie/ alt rock.

My experience with Neotech OCC in both silver and copper (ive made pure silver interconnects too) is that it bucks the stereotypes for both materials, as each gives a full sound with huge amounts of detail and seperation, just slightly more of certain things with different cables.

So i've got the bug and i'm interested in trying Neotech's stranded SDCT OCC copper and maybe running some thin solid silver through it, but can anyone advise me is better to get cable with more thin strands (19 with neotech) or fatter fewer strands (7)? I run out of knowledge very quickly on the science side but i know what sounds good to me and i'd love to get anyones thoughts on this, thanks :)

cable.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back