DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 15, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #8,836 of 10,535
i may be constructing my own cable soon for use with headphone amp/dacs. what i want to do is have a 3.5mm male on one end to plug into the headphones, and a 1/4" on the other to go straight into the amp.. however, i do not want a large straight plug going into the headphones because the headphones i use have pretty large ear cups so when i lean my head to the left, the cable presses into my shoulder.. so is there a 3.5mm plug that maybe doesnt have a long rigid piece to it, or am i better off looking for a 45 degree plug? i think a 90 degree plug would just bend the cable too much from gravity, although, i may run the cable behind my chair and behind a table

May 15, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #8,837 of 10,535
i may be constructing my own cable soon for use with headphone amp/dacs. what i want to do is have a 3.5mm male on one end to plug into the headphones, and a 1/4" on the other to go straight into the amp.. however, i do not want a large straight plug going into the headphones because the headphones i use have pretty large ear cups so when i lean my head to the left, the cable presses into my shoulder.. so is there a 3.5mm plug that maybe doesnt have a long rigid piece to it, or am i better off looking for a 45 degree plug? i think a 90 degree plug would just bend the cable too much from gravity, although, i may run the cable behind my chair and behind a table
What headphones are You talking about? Just posted pic on previous page about Fidelio X1 with DIY cable Rean NYS231BG 3.5mm TRS male plugs installed ( http://www.rean-connectors.com/zoolu-website/media/download/5917/Drawing+NYS231 ):
Took some more pics after my Fidelio X1 dual 3.5mm TRS sockets mod:
9940521_l.jpg

9940522_l.jpg
For me they work perfectly and don`t "obstruct" shoulders and I have quite short neck.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #8,839 of 10,535
Rean NYS231BG are shortest I know of, though, haven`t searched specially shorter ones. For Your information, those Reans reach out 25mm from HP housing socket.

May 15, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #8,840 of 10,535
hmm, could i just get the plug with a threaded on housing, cut the housing in half (this should still cover the solder points) and then add a spring for extra, but flexible support? I think I could get away with that

May 15, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #8,841 of 10,535
I think he would be totally fine with those Rean housings with SHP9500 and no need for shorter ones :thinking:

May 15, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #8,842 of 10,535
I need to replace the headphone jac in my sennheiser PXC250-II. I cut the end off and now the cable has 4 wires (red, green, copper color, red)

Would someone be able to guide me which wire connects to which in the 3.5mm plug?

any help is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190515_190654419_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190515_190654419_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #8,843 of 10,535
I need to replace the headphone jac in my sennheiser PXC250-II. I cut the end off and now the cable has 4 wires.
Would someone be able to guide me which wire connects to which in the 3.5mm plug?
66d004e5-c2af-455d-b691-a7a3347a3bd4

66d004e5-c2af-455d-b691-a7a3347a3bd4

Any help is much appreciated :)

I cant see the images, so a bit hard to comment. Don’t know what the standard color coding is for Sennheiser cables.

If you have a multi-meter and the cut-off bit of plug and cable you can check which color wire connects to which pole (tip=left, ring=right, sleeve=ground, may be two of your four wires (one ground per driver, single-ended wiring. Kept separate for balanced wiring, but then you need to figure out which wire goes where). Or open the driver cup and measure the wires from there to the end..

May 15, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #8,844 of 10,535
I need to replace the headphone jac in my sennheiser PXC250-II. I cut the end off and now the cable has 4 wires (red, green, copper color, red)

On the HD650 the Red and Green are for Right and Left Positive, Red Right and Green Left. You'll need to heat the wire to remove the coloured enamel when you solder them. I'm not sure about the second Red wire (though I would guess at it being Right Negative), but looking at photos of the device it has a a battery powered Noise Cancellation box in the middle of the cable making me a little bit concerned it might be for something else.

On a 3.5mm Jack though the Tip is Left Positive, then Right Positive for the ring and the end shield is the Negative for both.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #8,845 of 10,535
May 15, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #8,846 of 10,535

You may need to strip the wires from the plug you cut off and use a multimeter or simple continuity tool to answer your own question.

May 16, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #8,848 of 10,535
How come I cannot find a female TRRRS jack anywhere? I can find male plugs, but no female.

PCB mount? There are plenty of 4.4mm sockets on AliExpress (well, mostly the same item from different sellers) for adapters, PCB mount seems harder to find. Or do you mean a different socket size?

May 16, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #8,849 of 10,535
Hmm, I think I found some on Ali. Searching for TRRRS doesn't work and I just have to look for 4.4mm. I was considering going down the "balanced" rabbit hole and it's my understanding both drivers need a positive, negative, but can share a ground which means a 5 conductor connector is necessary and a 4.4mm TRRRS looks more doable than mini-XLR.

I am looking at these linked below. I am thinking since there's enough plastic around the 3.5mm jack on my headphones now, i could ditch the sleeve on that, remove the old plug, drill out the plastic, and thread or epoxy the interior piece to that jack right where the old 3.5mm jack was.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pc...41-4a68-9247-b51af8712cd3&transAbTest=ae803_5

And then make a balanced cable that has a male of that on one end, perhaps terminating into 2x 3.5mm plugs for some of the less expensive budgeted amps and DACs, while using just one of the plugs should still work on its own.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #8,850 of 10,535
Hmm, I think I found some on Ali. Searching for TRRRS doesn't work and I just have to look for 4.4mm. I was considering going down the "balanced" rabbit hole and it's my understanding both drivers need a positive, negative, but can share a ground which means a 5 conductor connector is necessary and a 4.4mm TRRRS looks more doable than mini-XLR.

I am looking at these linked below. I am thinking since there's enough plastic around the 3.5mm jack on my headphones now, i could ditch the sleeve on that, remove the old plug, drill out the plastic, and thread or epoxy the interior piece to that jack right where the old 3.5mm jack was.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pc...41-4a68-9247-b51af8712cd3&transAbTest=ae803_5

And then make a balanced cable that has a male of that on one end, perhaps terminating into 2x 3.5mm plugs for some of the less expensive budgeted amps and DACs, while using just one of the plugs should still work on its own.

The drivers need a + and a -, (from tip down its L+, L-, R+, R-, and ground), but you don’t need to wire the ground for headphone out as far as I can tell. The two other common balanced connections are both TRRS (2.5mm, and there is a 3.5mm balanced option though it’s not common outside of Asia as far as I can tell). Not entirely sure what the point of the ground (sleeve) is, perhaps grounding a shield for something like a star quad cable? I’ll leave that answer to the more experienced wiring gurus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back