DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #7,561 of 10,535
yes sir, i recently did the detachable cable mod to them and my ad500xs but the 770s i feel sketchy about because i used the original cabling to do it. So I think im going to use the innards of the w2893 to replace all of the original wiring, including the left to right drivers

Personally I would go with dual inputs on the 770's in case you wanted to use a balanced amp sometime, maybe a 3.5 mm jack or an Hirose jack, separate grounds for left and right channels and you are in business. I modded some California Headphone Company Silverados over to high impedance with separate inputs. (Beyer drivers.) They already had the 3.5 mm jacks in place so there was not a lot of work involved. IMG_1965.JPG Modified cans with OCC copper cable on left, standard CHC cans on the right. I will mod them one day as well but just a new cable on them works wonders. You can generally grab them for around $50 in good shape, swap the drivers, drill a couple holes and they are open, high impedance headphones worthy of a Steampunk Bottlehead Crack. (my mods on Crack).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #7,562 of 10,535
I will be receiving the Massdrop version of the HD 650 and will build a balanced cable with 8 wire OCC copper for them pretty soon. I am in the process of building a balanced amp so there is no doubt I will need the cable. I saw on Amazon that folks were taking a standard 650 cable, cutting the 3.5 mm or quarter inch and installing the four pin male xlr. These were going for $50-$60 but it is an easy enough upgrade for most of you guys and the XLR connector might run $3.00 or so.

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #7,564 of 10,535
I just got my Sennheiser HD 700 and i'am not impressed with it's stupidly LOOOOONG cable,Does anyone know if this HD 700 cable is 4 conductors?

Thanks!
If the headphones are dual-entry it pretty well has to be I would think. Single entry I doubt they would bother using four wires.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #7,566 of 10,535
Yes it is dual entry (mono 1/8 jacks per side)i just want to make sure before i cut it short and terminate into 4 pins XLR and use the other half to an XLR to TRS adapter.
Unless there is a junction in the cable you can be fairly assured it is four wires down to the TRS. I like to use male and female 4 pin mini XLR's for pigtails at that point so I can terminate the cable with TRS or keep all four wires for balanced applications.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #7,567 of 10,535
20171019_230737.jpg
I will be receiving the Massdrop version of the HD 650 and will build a balanced cable with 8 wire OCC copper for them pretty soon. I am in the process of building a balanced amp so there is no doubt I will need the cable. I saw on Amazon that folks were taking a standard 650 cable, cutting the 3.5 mm or quarter inch and installing the four pin male xlr. These were going for $50-$60 but it is an easy enough upgrade for most of you guys and the XLR connector might run $3.00 or so.

Stock cable of 650 isn't good.
Boring sound, cold trebl and mid and no texture, less volume of bass. It was a BIG changed when I use the cable in right side. It did not bring 650 to level of detail, texture of 800s but if before is 6.5 or7/10 then it is 2 ranks up after

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #7,568 of 10,535
Yes it is dual entry (mono 1/8 jacks per side)i just want to make sure before i cut it short and terminate into 4 pins XLR and use the other half to an XLR to TRS adapter.
Cut it! Sure thing that any cable looks like the one of 650, 800 (after Y split have 2 wire) is 4 wire and just join ground wires at end terminal TRS.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #7,569 of 10,535

Stock cable of 650 isn't good.
Boring sound, cold trebl and mid and no texture, less volume of bass. It was a BIG changed when I use the cable in right side. It did not bring 650 to level of detail, texture of 800s but if before is 6.5 or7/10 then it is 2 ranks up after

Yeah as I said I will be making a balanced cable for the Massdrop 650's anyway. I may be including them with an amp I am building for a friend and I definitely need the four pin XLR connection. I like the effects I get with 8 wire OCC copper and I will at some point make a couple pigtails that have trs connections as well. My amp is still in the planning stages but it will have quarter inch trs and balanced connections. High impedance cans are generally used with some OTL amps but I may make allowances for lower impedance headphones as well. :ksc75smile:

By the way I do believe you used the same two pin connectors on your build that I have in stock. I like that design compared to some I have seen.

Tom

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7,570 of 10,535
Yeah as I said I will be making a balanced cable for the Massdrop 650's anyway. I may be including them with an amp I am building for a friend and I definitely need the four pin XLR connection. I like the effects I get with 8 wire OCC copper and I will at some point make a couple pigtails that have trs connections as well. My amp is still in the planning stages but it will have quarter inch trs and balanced connections. High impedance cans are generally used with some OTL amps but I may make allowances for lower impedance headphones as well. :ksc75smile:
You planing a OTL tube amp works well on even low impedance hp? A can low impedance like my Denon ah d2000 sound very poor on that kind of amp. 300Omh cans are fine

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #7,572 of 10,535
As I said I may make allowances, I would have been more accurate to say circuit changes, sorry. I know of at least four methods that have been used to get OTL amps to work with low impedance headphones so I plan to experiment to see which one I like best. The person for whom I am building the amp is an engineer and he has some thoughts as well. No matter what I do, it will be switchable so as to return to the normal OTL configuration for high impedance cans. I am not talking about building an amp as people used to talk about building computers. To me, most people were assembling parts, the same as one might do with a DIY Kit amp. On Crack kits I was more interested in what they might look like, and now I am going for looks as well as design, and performance for a friend. If it works well I will most likely build a couple for myself.

As you might imagine, I do not spend $1,000 on any cables myself. I am generally happy with OFC but have experimented with many types of cable. I also have test equipment that I can use in conjunction with the human ear to see if I can find a measurable difference.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #7,574 of 10,535
They are actually 2.5mm rather than 3.5mm(1/4”).

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #7,575 of 10,535
I'm sorry for the noob question. I want to build my first cable and I want it to look like this:

il_570xN.1218098268_88ga.jpg

I know what connectors get for my LCD-X (mini 4pin XLR female) and the 6.5mm TRS too.
I have no idea what wire buy though, I guess cooper but not very expensive if possible; and based on that the paracord diameter needed.

Can somebody help me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back