DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #7,546 of 10,535
24/26/and 28 awg.....AWG stands for American wire gauge, the smaller the number, the larger the wire gauge ergo 28 awg is smaller than 24 awg and would probably be fine in your application. It should cost you less.

Now Litz occ silver plated copper IMHO is mixing terminologies and I am not so sure it exists as such. Litz wire is often used for transformers and often it has an enamel coating on each strand. I have also heard people talk about litz braiding so you may well be using that term.
Personally I try to talk people out of buying silver plated copper unless they just want it for looks. The reasoning behind such wire is, with the skin effect the signal travels on the outside of a given wire and silver is a better conductor therefore they use just a thin layer there. (it might also be used to keep down oxidation but that is another story.) The skin effect usually kicks in at frequencies around 100kilo hertz and you will be listening to a signal that should be at an audible range of about 20 to 20k hertz (if you are lucky) so paying for silver plating makes little audible difference.

You can find Litz wire on ebay and you can find OCC copper, silver, and probably silver plated there as well. Just be a little cautious where you buy it, OCC is a Japanese invention and if you buy it from a Chinese source it makes me wonder about authenticity.

That being said, if you get a chance, try to listen to a decent quality OFC wire and compare it to some OCC copper lets say, and see if you can hear a difference. If when blindfolded you can pick out the OFC compared to the OCC all other things being equal, then by all means buy the OCC. I have the luxury to have at my disposal most types of wire made and in my own testing, it is rare to find someone who can consistently tell a difference.

Thank you.

I found this listing on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302383473399

Will this work for making iem cables.?

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #7,547 of 10,535
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #7,548 of 10,535
That is not single core as I read it, seven strands of .15 mm per strand. Since it is priced per meter the price is not bad compared to some I have seen. If that is the type of wire you want to use it should be fine for your application IMHO. I also talked about litz wiring and silver plated copper before. From what I remember the purpose of litz braid in the actual sense it is used, it is a way to keep all of the wires to the inside of a braid as much as possible. Few wires being exposed to the outside of the wire bundle as much as possible, this should reduce skin effect but as I said before, this is for high frequency application, not audible frequencies. The silver looks pretty though.)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,549 of 10,535
I found a Campfire Audio iems litz cable with mmcx terminated. I prefer the feel and look of it. /Is it a challenging task to change from mmcx to 2 pin connectors to fit audeze isine 10s. I do have experience in soldering.

Thanks.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #7,553 of 10,535
Yes pricey and the purity isn't the greatest out there either, but was wondering if it had any other interesting characteristics such as good handling and whatnot.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #7,555 of 10,535
I'm looking to make a basic interconnect 3.5 to 3.5, using 3 mogami w2893 inner wires as my cable. I would like to use paracord as the outer sleeving for these 3 wires. Would I be able to fit 3 strands of 26g through 550 (type 3) or 750 (type 4) paracord?

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #7,556 of 10,535
IMG_2228.JPG 550 paracord would hold those three wires with no problem. There are six nylon strands in the paracord I have and each is about the size of the wire in that Mogami cable. It is also a very nice size to fit into the opening in the back of the connectors.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #7,558 of 10,535
Very cool, Beyerdynamic 770's? I have played around with similar drivers if that is what you are rewiring.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #7,559 of 10,535
yes sir, i recently did the detachable cable mod to them and my ad500xs but the 770s i feel sketchy about because i used the original cabling to do it. So I think im going to use the innards of the w2893 to replace all of the original wiring, including the left to right drivers

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #7,560 of 10,535
Has anybody given a go with MDPC-X sleeving? It's a bit more expensive than paracord or techflex, but generally has a dense weave. Popular in high end computer modding. I think their smallest sleeve has a minimum diameter of 1.7mm, so probably not ideal for the really tiny stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back