DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #6,321 of 10,535
Which paracord version did you use. I am planning to make a custom cable for the Mr Speaker Aeon.. Just started collecting all info. I was thinking of using 275 Paracord.

That's 550 used with a wire of 1,7 mm outer diameter. Works fine, maybe a little loose. Had 3 mm paracord which would've been fine but the material was crappy. 2 mm didn't have a chance. It's better to get bigger paracord, trying to get the wire through a snuggly fitting paracord is a pain.

2,4 mm OD wire fit well also in the 550.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #6,323 of 10,535
I noticed that there is glue in the jacks and connectors of aftermarket cable. Now I am trying to replace the connectors. Is the glue really necessary and what kind of glue is it?
Thanks

Probably there as strain relief. If there's built in strain relief it's probably not necessary, though you can add it for extra security if you want. It's probably normal hot glue.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #6,324 of 10,535
And normal hot glue can be removed by heating it once again. As far as being necessary, if you have proper solder lugs there is less need for glue. If you do not have a good clamping system for the cable jacket and if you are soldering to the side of cylindrical connectors then hot glue may not be a bad idea. You need something that will withstand the strain of the cable being tugged on. In the clamping system Neutrik uses, there is probably a better chance of the cable jacket breaking than the clamp letting go.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #6,325 of 10,535
Hey there folks! Hoping one of you guys can help me out. Im looking to make or have made a replacement cable for my Klipsch x20i IEMs. They use these idiotic screw-type coaxial SSMCX connectors and I am unable to locate any info or replacement cable on the web. Klipsch said "coming soon" but to be honest they are not even breathing hard yet! lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #6,326 of 10,535
  Hey there folks! Hoping one of you guys can help me out. Im looking to make or have made a replacement cable for my Klipsch x20i IEMs. They use these idiotic screw-type coaxial SSMCX connectors and I am unable to locate any info or replacement cable on the web. Klipsch said "coming soon" but to be honest they are not even breathing hard yet! lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?key=ssmcx&channel=products&pageTitle=Introduction

you might find someone with the Molex SSMCX connectors if you can pin it down to a specific part number. I would think they would be using 75 ohm coaxial cable since 50 ohm is more for RF applications. I have not built with those particular connectors before but often times you would crimp or solder a center pin and crimp a collar ring over the outside braid. This type of procedure is pretty exacting and you have to have the proper size crimp dies. I know of some quality miniature 75 ohm coaxial cable but you have to concern yourself with the outside diameter of the cable and dielectric. Having just looked up your IEM's I do not think this would be a good DIY project. Maybe Klipsch will eventually have a solution cause those are not cheap IEM's.

Tom

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #6,327 of 10,535
  http://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?key=ssmcx&channel=products&pageTitle=Introduction

you might find someone with the Molex SSMCX connectors if you can pin it down to a specific part number. I would think they would be using 75 ohm coaxial cable since 50 ohm is more for RF applications. I have not built with those particular connectors before but often times you would crimp or solder a center pin and crimp a collar ring over the outside braid. This type of procedure is pretty exacting and you have to have the proper size crimp dies. I know of some quality miniature 75 ohm coaxial cable but you have to concern yourself with the outside diameter of the cable and dielectric. Having just looked up your IEM's I do not think this would be a good DIY project. Maybe Klipsch will eventually have a solution cause those are not cheap IEM's.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. Yeah the inline microphone/volume control snags everywhere and the cable is far too short.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #6,328 of 10,535
  Thanks for the reply Tom. Yeah the inline microphone/volume control snags everywhere and the cable is far too short.

I would help if I could but a lot of times manufacturers have such things made overseas and some of the connectors become a bit proprietary if they have to fit inside a specific housing. It is all well and good if they provide replacement cables but if they do not, you are stuck. I have had some dealings with Klipsch but mostly on speakers. Good luck in your search.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,330 of 10,535
That must pertain to how to take a photo while soldering lol. There are times where I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous. (Yogi Berra, slightly paraphrased.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back