DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #6,332 of 10,535
Actually, I was always taught to heat the wire and lug, and touch the solder to the other side, not tip, solder wire/lug.

That is correct, you heat the joint and apply solder. Touch solder directly to the tip and you burn the rosin. The rosin is there to clean whatever you are soldering.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #6,333 of 10,535
Progress made on the balanced cable!

By the way, it was a total pain in the butt to braid the cable. I had four stands of 3,5 m long cables and they were twisted all the time. Took over an hour to do that... I also didn't have any idea that the cable would shrink that much when braided. I was expecting it to go from 3,5 m to roughly 3 m but its more like 2,5 m. Would've preferred it to be a bit longer but can't do that now, lol :D

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6,334 of 10,535

By the way, it was a total pain in the butt to braid the cable. I had four stands of 3,5 m long cables and they were twisted all the time. Took over an hour to do that... I also didn't have any idea that the cable would shrink that much when braided. I was expecting it to go from 3,5 m to roughly 3 m but its more like 2,5 m. Would've preferred it to be a bit longer but can't do that now, lol :D

I generally have my people figure an extra 30 % when they braid a cable but it can vary with tightness of braid, cable size, and whether it is a 3 or 4 wire braid. That is a nice, tight braid that looks very good. Sometimes you can get uneven pressure on the wires and the joints are not consistent in spacing.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #6,335 of 10,535
  I generally have my people figure an extra 30 % when they braid a cable but it can vary with tightness of braid, cable size, and whether it is a 3 or 4 wire braid. That is a nice, tight braid that looks very good. Sometimes you can get uneven pressure on the wires and the joints are not consistent in spacing.

I've been wondering about this lately as well. In a few months I'm hopefully, finally going to begin undertaking a big cable project, but I need the result to be a 4m cable. It's going to be a 4 strand round braid, all wires have their own PE jacket, but I may put an additional thin cotton sleeve on them before the braiding.

I'm now guessing I'll have to take about 5.5m of wire if I hope to get a 4m cable out of it. Good to know.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #6,336 of 10,535

I've been wondering about this lately as well. In a few months I'm hopefully, finally going to begin undertaking a big cable project, but I need the result to be a 4m cable. It's going to be a 4 strand round braid, all wires have their own PE jacket, but I may put an additional thin cotton sleeve on them before the braiding.

I'm now guessing I'll have to take about 5.5m of wire if I hope to get a 4m cable out of it. Good to know.

If you aren't going to buy some crazy expensive cable it might be safer to get a few extra meters and then just cut it to the optimal length after braiding. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,337 of 10,535

If you aren't going to buy some crazy expensive cable it might be safer to get a few extra meters and then just cut it to the optimal length after braiding. 

I'm unfortunately in the "unless..." category there :frowning2:

In thinking about it, though, I do have some other projects that I'll need smaller bits of wire for, so I might just go with 6m lengths first, then cut the wire to length with done. Then the bits that're left over can be used for the other projects and I'll hopefully not wast much~~

Thanks for the idea.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #6,338 of 10,535
hey just a quick thanks man to mr. paladin79
these mini-xlrs are a great idea
just finished with this and they work great
i'll probably re-terminate most of my stuff to this

the rean mini-xlr has the best designed strain relief of anything i've ever used

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #6,339 of 10,535
  hey just a quick thanks man to mr. paladin79
these mini-xlrs are a great idea
just finished with this and they work great
i'll probably re-terminate most of my stuff to this

the rean mini-xlr has the best designed strain relief of anything i've ever used

You are most welcome Arty. The cables look good and they should last a long time.You are obviously experienced to have built the cables this quickly.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #6,340 of 10,535

Yes, the losses in length when braiding I find very difficult to predict. I usually find it is about a third reduced, but sometimes more.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #6,341 of 10,535
It is better to factor in extra length and hopefully use a wire whose results are pleasing for a reasonable price. You can cut extra cable off and for home use I generally like to go longer anyway. At my home system it is not unusual for me to have two or three people listening at once with headphones or a combination of headphones and speakers.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #6,343 of 10,535
Question folks, am I correct the XLR connector has 3 wires and Kubiconn connector has 4 wires.. Can anyone point  me to a diagram on how to wire a Kubiconn connector

Thx

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #6,344 of 10,535
  Question folks, am I correct the XLR connector has 3 wires and Kubiconn connector has 4 wires.. Can anyone point  me to a diagram on how to wire a Kubiconn connector

Thx

There are many XRL connectors. Some have 3 and some have 4. What are you trying to make?

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #6,345 of 10,535

Thx
http://www.head-fi.org/t/671311/designing-balance-cable-for-ray-samuels-rsa-sr-71b-latest-version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back