DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,076 of 10,535
Ok folks - I think I am going to roll-up my sleeves and attempt a DIY cable replacement for my Audeze LCD3s. I have been toying with the idea for a few days when I looked at replacement cables to the stock one. I personally don't believe the insane prices being charged for replacement cables, and being a engineer and designer, I decided to build my own for a fraction of the price.

Two questions for those that have attempted this, or have knowledge about it:

1) Are the wiring diagrams for the LCD2s the same as the LCD3s?

2) Any specific advice you can give for this project?

Much appreciated.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,077 of 10,535
  Ok folks - I think I am going to roll-up my sleeves and attempt a DIY cable replacement for my Audeze LCD3s. I have been toying with the idea for a few days when I looked at replacement cables to the stock one. I personally don't believe the insane prices being charged for replacement cables, and being a engineer and designer, I decided to build my own for a fraction of the price.

Two questions for those that have attempted this, or have knowledge about it:

1) Are the wiring diagrams for the LCD2s the same as the LCD3s?

2) Any specific advice you can give for this project?

Much appreciated.

Should be the same. You can verify it yourself with a DMM though. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #3,078 of 10,535
I wanted to build and 8 strand per side Speaker AMP to HE-6, not sure what cable to use. I wanted to make sure, to there is no current loss between HE-6 and Speaker AMP.

I feel the stock wire is carrying less current to HE-6 and limit its performance, I know with SMC connectors, there are limitations, but wanted to try before taking hard wire path.

Question : Which DIY is best suited to ensure there is no current loss. Please let me know, even if you think this is stupid question

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #3,079 of 10,535
  I wanted to build and 8 strand per side Speaker AMP to HE-6, not sure what cable to use. I wanted to make sure, to there is no current loss between HE-6 and Speaker AMP.

I feel the stock wire is carrying less current to HE-6 and limit its performance, I know with SMC connectors, there are limitations, but wanted to try before taking hard wire path.

Question : Which DIY is best suited to ensure there is no current loss. Please let me know, even if you think this is stupid question

If current is your main concern, maybe consider using speaker cables. Those are aimed to be used in high current flow applications. Bad thing is, it could be big, bulky, and unsightly. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #3,080 of 10,535

If current is your main concern, maybe consider using speaker cables. Those are aimed to be used in high current flow applications. Bad thing is, it could be big, bulky, and unsightly. 

you mean 12 Gauge wire like ones in below link?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-feet-TRUE-12-Gauge-AWG-Speaker-Wire-Car-Home-Audio-Blue-and-Black-ft-GA-/291280210342?pt=US_Car_Audio_Power_Speaker_Wire&hash=item43d1a749a6

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,081 of 10,535

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-feet-TRUE-12-Gauge-AWG-Speaker-Wire-Car-Home-Audio-Blue-and-Black-ft-GA-/291280210342?pt=US_Car_Audio_Power_Speaker_Wire&hash=item43d1a749a6

Something like that. It's a sure overkill for 90% of headphones in the market, but then again, the HE-6 is not an 'ordinary' headphone. 

I also use a speaker wire myself, for my HE400. It's overkill in functionality, but I'm going for the aesthetic :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,082 of 10,535

Something like that. It's a sure overkill for 90% of headphones in the market, but then again, the HE-6 is not an 'ordinary' headphone. 

I also use a speaker wire myself, for my HE400. It's overkill in functionality, but I'm going for the aesthetic :)

I will go for it and will use Type 1 paracord. Nothing much to loose.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3,085 of 10,535

I will go for it and will use Type 1 paracord. Nothing much to loose.

Biggest obstacle you'll encounter is how to fit those humongous cables to the microscopic SMC connectors. 

yes, will order 5 pair of SMC connectors, in case I fail first few attempts. This is my beta test, if any improvement found, will hard wire using better one's.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,086 of 10,535

yes, will order 5 pair of SMC connectors, in case I fail first few attempts. This is my beta test, if any improvement found, will hard wire using better one's.

The thing that makes it next to impossible is the size itself, and the fact that there's no insulation between the signal pole and the ground or (-) pole on the SMC connector. It's originally meant to be used with coaxial type of cables.

You gotta make your own insulation, provided you can squeeze the conductor strands inside the tiny hole of the SMC.

Oh and I think the cable you linked before is larger than the one I used in the picture.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #3,087 of 10,535
I am sorry if this question has been answered already on this thread as I am working my way through the pages, but what is a good gauge for the headphone cable? I am building Audeze LCD-3 balanced cable?

I saw numbers ranging from 18AWG all the way up to 24AWG? I assume smaller gauge will be easier to handle as long as it's big enough for the signal?

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3,088 of 10,535
26 I see used for headphones, and 28 most common with IEM's it seems.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #3,089 of 10,535

The thing that makes it next to impossible is the size itself, and the fact that there's no insulation between the signal pole and the ground or (-) pole on the SMC connector. It's originally meant to be used with coaxial type of cables.

You gotta make your own insulation, provided you can squeeze the conductor strands inside the tiny hole of the SMC.

Oh and I think the cable you linked before is larger than the one I used in the picture.

Thanks for pic's.....you are right size would be issue. If I am not able to squeeze the wires, then I will not use the bottom cap of SMC, after solder I will just use the head sink. As this would an temporary cable, it should not be an issue. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,090 of 10,535

Thanks for pic's.....you are right size would be issue. If I am not able to squeeze the wires, then I will not use the bottom cap of SMC, after solder I will just use the head sink. As this would an temporary cable, it should not be an issue. 

I'm assuming your SMC connectors haven't arrived yet. The biggest challenge, aside from squeezing the wires, you must also make sure the signal wire touch the middle needle, without touching anywhere else. In the picture you can see a middle pin, that's the signal pole. Now that pole absolutely cannot touch anywhere else of the connector, especially the original cable hole, the place where you insert the signal wires. That's the real challenge. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back