DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #3,061 of 10,535
Blue Jean says they use 2-channel coaxial cable with a 25AWG conductor size for each center conductor for the Audeze cable. What are your opinions?  
Is this superior to the Audeze stock cable and comparable to the 4 X 24 or 26AWG cables?

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,062 of 10,535
  Blue Jean says they use 2-channel coaxial cable with a 25AWG conductor size for each center conductor for the Audeze cable. What are your opinions?  
Is this superior to the Audeze stock cable and comparable to the 4 X 24 or 26AWG cables?

Thicker cables are better in performance so a 24AWG wire will out perform a 25AWG wire of the same material. 

PS. 25AWG kind of an uncommon size.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3,063 of 10,535
Thicker cables are better in performance so a 24AWG wire will out perform a 25AWG wire of the same material. 

PS. 25AWG kind of an uncommon size.

Umm... That statement might lead to some confusion. What do you mean specifically when you say," better in performance"?

If you mean that it has the ability to carry a slightly larger load, then Okay. Other than that, I'd wager a whole bunch of cash any day of the week that that there is no audible difference.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #3,064 of 10,535
Umm... That statement might lead to some confusion. What do you mean specifically when you say," better in performance"?

If you mean that it has the ability to carry a slightly larger load, then Okay. Other than that, I'd wager a whole bunch of cash any day of the week that that there is no audible difference.

I didn't say there will be an audible difference. Technically my statement was correct. As you said, it will carry more current, and will have less resistance over a longer span.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #3,065 of 10,535
I didn't say there will be an audible difference. Technically my statement was correct. As you said, it will carry more current, and will have less resistance over a longer span.

You did not. You're statement was confusing as an answer to the question to which you were responding. That's why I was simply asking for clarification to avoid confusion for the person asking:

In this particular example of using a cable with either 25awg conductors or 24 awg conductors there is be no practical difference to make one "perform better." 

Anyway, the point was so that sling wouldn't confuse "performance" with anything audible which is what I think he was asking. 
In short, the answer is no. The Audeze stock cable will not have an audible difference over the Blue Jean cable based on 1 awg difference in the conductors used. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #3,066 of 10,535
You did not. You're statement was confusing as an answer to the question to which you were responding. That's why I was simply asking for clarification to avoid confusion for the person asking:

In this particular example of using a cable with either 25awg conductors or 24 awg conductors there is be no practical difference to make one "perform better." 

Anyway, the point was so that sling wouldn't confuse "performance" with anything audible which is what I think he was asking. 
In short, the answer is no. The Audeze stock cable will not have an audible difference over the Blue Jean cable based on 1 awg difference in the conductors used. 

The question was if it is superior, not if it sounded better. A thicker cable is superior to the thinner one. Nuff said.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,067 of 10,535
Not true, thicker can be less flexible, in which case the subjective desire for ergonomics could win over any tiny difference in resistance and capacitance. But then there's strand count...

So let's just wait and listen to someone who had tried both, or avoid commenting.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #3,069 of 10,535
Not true, thicker can be less flexible, in which case the subjective desire for ergonomics could win over any tiny difference in resistance and capacitance. But then there's strand count...

So let's just wait and listen to someone who had tried both, or avoid commenting.

My Hifiman HE400's original cable was a Canare coaxial (the type that got 3 polarities all encased in 1 jacket). My DIY cable is 1 polarity/cable, so I ended up with 4 cables, braided. I'm not familiar with AWG measurement, so I'll just show it in this picture:

As far as audible differences, I can't hear any. It's heavier, that's the sure thing. Flexibility, I'd say more or less the same, as the original cable was quite stiff anyway. The main reason for using this cable is purely aesthetic, for me. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #3,070 of 10,535
Ya, I saw that in the cable gallery thread iirc. Freakin' gorgeous.

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #3,071 of 10,535
I use Mogami wire that is 26awg because it is very flexible, I think 24awg is the absolute thickest you should use for a headphone cable, but I never use it. 

I've got a 3m cable made from 3x 18AWG cores. It has lower resistance that my 26AWG SPC 1.5m cable.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,072 of 10,535

My Hifiman HE400's original cable was a Canare coaxial (the type that got 3 polarities all encased in 1 jacket). My DIY cable is 1 polarity/cable, so I ended up with 4 cables, braided. I'm not familiar with AWG measurement, so I'll just show it in this picture:

As far as audible differences, I can't hear any. It's heavier, that's the sure thing. Flexibility, I'd say more or less the same, as the original cable was quite stiff anyway. The main reason for using this cable is purely aesthetic, for me. 

this cable looks awesome, please give the link where I can buy it

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3,073 of 10,535

this cable looks awesome, please give the link where I can buy it

Found it in a local audio store in my country, dunno where they got it from.

This is something similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Silver-Copper-Twisted-Solid-Ribbon-Speaker-Cable-Dont-Pay-40-00-m-/251771020182?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item3a9eb8e396

And yes, they're both originally speaker cables, so you might want to think again to use it as a headphone cable, as it's heavy and bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back