DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #12,016 of 16,305
I actually want to get the one they use on the HD800 cables. Do you know where to obtain them?

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #12,017 of 16,305
The sleeving?  Feels custom, so the closest you are going to get is nylon multifilament available at a number of online retailers like ebay (furryletters), wirecare.com, and just about any place that sells cable making supplies.  Or take it off of the stock cable if you think it will fit your new cable.  The Denon stock cables also have as similar sleeving.  Those can probably be found at a more reasonable cost than a replacement HD800 cable.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #12,018 of 16,305
Thanks a lot. Gonna make some USB type A to type B cables for my HDVD800. The printer cable seems unable to handle bitrate more than 5300Kbps music~~~

What will be the normal wire you use to make digital cables?
I do have some 28AWG solid core silver wires lying around. Is three of these per pin going to handle the data?

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #12,019 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks a lot. Gonna make some USB type A to type B cables for my HDVD800. The printer cable seems unable to handle bitrate more than 5300Kbps music~~~

What will be the normal wire you use to make digital cables?
I do have some 28AWG solid core silver wires lying around. Is three of these per pin going to handle the data?

maybe this gonna help:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/665635/know-how-diy-cable-related-tutorials
I spent a lot of time experimenting with USB cables and finally find the right cable for right job.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #12,020 of 16,305
Quote:
maybe this gonna help:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/665635/know-how-diy-cable-related-tutorials
I spent a lot of time experimenting with USB cables and finally find the right cable for right job.

Wow, That is a very nice tutorial. Thank you very much!

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #12,021 of 16,305
Take 2 
biggrin.gif

Its surprising how much you learn about what *not* to do on your first attempt. (though 800+ pages of this thread didn't hurt either)

26 awg xple wire from BTG-Audio
Neutrik connector from qables 
iem connectors from plussound

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #12,026 of 16,305
Quote:
Do any of my fellow Canucks buy from local vendors (PCX, takefive, etc), or do we all just go the ebay/international route? Any hiccups with customs/etc?

I buy mostly from Take Five.
I bought from a big company in the US (the name escapes me atm) and I got dinged customs.

I remember you were looking for four pin mini XLR in Canada, how is this? Too much?
I was going to get one along with some connectors for my Shure to make a balanced
cable for them. I have to get the panel mount side as well...I'm making a balanced amp.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #12,027 of 16,305
Grr, stupid customs. How much % did they hit you for?

And ouch that's expensive for the 4-pin miniXLR... BUT that's also the only cable mount male mini-XLR 4pin that I've seen in Canada. I special ordered some Neutrik/Rean mini-XLR4 through avshop, but I could only get male panel mount and female cable mount. Those were around $3 a pop though. $10 seems like a kick in the pants. If we can't find any other options, would you mind if I piggybacked a couple on your order?

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #12,028 of 16,305
Quote:
Grr, stupid customs. How much % did they hit you for?

And ouch that's expensive for the 4-pin miniXLR... BUT that's also the only cable mount male mini-XLR 4pin that I've seen in Canada. I special ordered some Neutrik/Rean mini-XLR4 through avshop, but I could only get male panel mount and female cable mount. Those were around $3 a pop though. $10 seems like a kick in the pants. If we can't find any other options, would you mind if I piggybacked a couple on your order?

Geez...I don't remember exactly how much it was...I think that was more than a year ago that happened.
It seems to me it was something like $10 on a $50 order...I just remember saying to myself "I'll never do
that again". If I can find the receipt I"ll let you know the company and the damage.

I'd be glad to piggyback a couple for you...but I don't know if it will be any time soon. I'm doing an addition
to my house so I'm totally broke. I might have to piggyback with you...I do have some money in my paypal...

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #12,029 of 16,305
Quote:
Geez...I don't remember exactly how much it was...I think that was more than a year ago that happened.
It seems to me it was something like $10 on a $50 order...I just remember saying to myself "I'll never do
that again". If I can find the receipt I"ll let you know the company and the damage.

I'd be glad to piggyback a couple for you...but I don't know if it will be any time soon. I'm doing an addition
to my house so I'm totally broke. I might have to piggyback with you...I do have some money in my paypal...

It was Markertek, I bought $52 worth of stuff but I don't have a record of the duty.
I'm sure it was somewhere between $10 and $15.

/end thread pollution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back