DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #11,986 of 16,306
Quote:
I'm trying to make a cable for etymotic er4 IEM
After soldering the cables to the driver pins
Can anyone suggest me what i could use to mold the cables around the soldered area?
I don't want the soldering parts to be vulnerable when the cables are pulled from the IEM drivers

maybe some hot glue for less permanence. 

May 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,987 of 16,306
Maybe i could super glue the cables to the panel and cover hot glue over the soldering area and the cable near them.
Do you know what type/material is most used by DIY'ers?
It's got to be very hard one after dried right?

May 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #11,988 of 16,306
Quote:

1: You mentioned something about ordering from taiwan, and I was wondering if that was a viable option. I found this at a very good price.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG24-0-5MM-Solid-Core-UPOCC-SILVER-Audio-BARE-WIRE-10M-/310678057552?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4855daf250

2: what type of audio grade solder would you use? I know audio note uses special solder and I would like to get my hands on the same type of stuff. 

I got this exact wire but in 28 AWG to recable my Denon D7000s.  I personally like it a lot since it brings out more of the mids and highs that the D7Ks are notoriously lacking.  Several tips that I feel might help you:  

1.  This is bare wire (no sheath/cover/insulation).  So you will have to get a sheath, paracord or whatever.  This teflon tube seems to work well for me (http://www.ebay.com/itm/25ft-Teflon-Tubing-Tube-Inner-0-9mm-Outer-1-2mm-/320730576365?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item4aad0835ed).  0.5mm diameter wire requires may be a 0.9mm ID tube.

2.  When you first get the wire, try to wind it around a big circular thing (I used a Danish cookie box) or else the wire will get tangle up pretty quickly.

3.  Use Cardas quad eutectic solder since it melts at a lower temp than regular solder.  If you get decent connectors, the teflon insulator in them should be able to handle the heat; cheap connectors use plastic insulator that may melt.  It will be great if you have an adjustable temperature solder tool...

Good luck!

May 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11,989 of 16,306
Quote:
maybe some hot glue for less permanence. 

Hot glue works OK for IEM plug bodies. The secret is to make a liberally large blob and whittle it into final form with a knife and an emory board. Before you get too ambitious with your sculpting skills, though, be aware that the plug body may slump and droop after a year or two due to your body heat. Not sufficiently to harm anything, mind you.

May 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #11,995 of 16,306
Made an experimental Micro USB-B OTG to USB B cable for my incoming CEntrance HiFiM8.  Going to finish the ends with Sugru or epoxy putty once I am able to test functionality when I get home.  A LOT of patience necessary to do something this compact.

May 31, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #11,996 of 16,306
Could you recommend me a proper cable for recabling my AKG K501? I live in Europe and it is difficult to get suitable one so it would be nice to suggest European or a Chinese stores those ship to Europe at a low price.

May 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #11,997 of 16,306
Quote:
Made an experimental Micro USB-B OTG to USB B cable for my incoming CEntrance HiFiM8.  Going to finish the ends with Sugru or epoxy putty once I am able to test functionality when I get home.  A LOT of patience necessary to do something this compact.

Thats nice work Fraggs (as usual). Where abouts do you get the micro USB from or do you take from an existing cable. Ive been scouring the net for right angle mini and micro USB connectors

May 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #11,999 of 16,306
Thats nice work Fraggs (as usual). Where abouts do you get the micro USB from or do you take from an existing cable. Ive been scouring the net for right angle mini and micro USB connectors

Thanks. The micro usb I got from ebay. They arent right angled ones, but are easy enough to adapt. USB b was harvested from another cable.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #12,000 of 16,306
10' Extension Cable. I've not made a cable in awhile and I can't see as good as I used to up close, so, it was a little harder to do. :) I tried a naked cable this time too. I've seen others do this and decided I liked the look.

Amphenol Right Angle TRS Plug w/ Neutrik Locking Jack. The one thing I liked about the Amphenol Plug was the little holes that held the wire inplace while I soldered each of them. It's a three piece plug so if it was handled a lot I'm not sure how well it would hold up. Not really a concern for me as it'll be plugged in and left alone.

Thanks for looking, Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back