DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #12,031 of 16,306
hello every one, maybe it is a stupid question, but still wondering 24awg or 26awg stranded silver wire, which is better for an CIEMs cable in terms of the theoretical sound quality?

and also does anyone know a place located in US that can buy the IEMs' pin connectors like the following pic?  plussound?

thanks in advance

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #12,034 of 16,306
Is there a way to remove the lettering on Mogami cable without staining or discoloring the cable?

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #12,035 of 16,306
Quote:
Is there a way to remove the lettering on Mogami cable without staining or discoloring the cable?

I don't have any Mogami cable, but the insulation itself is whatever color it is all the way through and the letters are printed onto it. I would just try to use paint thinner or maybe even WD-40 to wipe it off. I don't think either of those things will harm the insulation at all, but if they will I'm sure someone will correct me. Just try a dab of either and wipe a couple times. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #12,036 of 16,306
Quote:
Thanks, but in terms of the sound, you think copper is superior than silver or silver plated copper?

That's a question that tends to start arguments that derail this thread and leads to moderator-imposed lockdowns, so it's not discussed here.

However, it's fair game in both the Cables and Sound Science forums... I recommending reading some of the existing threads in both to make an informed decision.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #12,038 of 16,306
10 AWG solid copper with 3mm PE insulation. Your laundry room will be safely connected for the life of the house.

(Edit: Sorry, that was mean.) Almost every wire is optimal for something. There is no single best wire... not without knowing what it's for, what you're doing, what your preferences are, and so on.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #12,039 of 16,306
Yeah I was thinking of rewiring my house so a cleaner power provided to my audio equipment improving sound transients and expanding the dynamic range of all sound frequencies.

Should I braid it?

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #12,041 of 16,306
It's top loader from about 2001, it's got a 2.5 out of 5 star power saving rating, not much to today's standard in terms of power efficiency, will a new recable improve the power saving rating?  I'm leaning towards braiding the cable so the clothes in the washer don't cause emi to the power line while I listen to rap which is my reference genre for nit-picking sound quality from a technical point.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #12,042 of 16,306
It's really the static charge buildup in the dryer that can lead to interference. However, for your purposes, I think you can avoid having to indulge in exotic cables -- just attach a drain wire from the dryer chassis and earth it on some copper pipe, and then kick it old school with some Mantronix or Jungle Brothers to blow the dust out.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #12,043 of 16,306
LOL!

Ok I couldn't hold up a straight troll face to that one haha.

But yeah just wondering what is the best wire. I know most if not all MOT's here that have special cables buy them in spools custom made by Neotech except a few that do in housing production with exclusivity. Is there any special silver + gold wire one could buy for diy besides buying off shelf retail? Planning to just buy some fancy wires and try them out.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #12,044 of 16,306
The most exotic I've heard of is Piccolino, a silver/gold cable which goes for a few hundred US dollars per foot.

Below that, there are a few different silver/gold alloys -- usually about 1-3% gold -- again, it kind of circles back to what your goal is: You usually want lighter gauges, finer stranding and thinner insulation for IEMs, slightly heavier gauges and thicker insulations for full-sized headphones, and for interconnects the sky's the limit -- people really do experiment with crazy things like 10AWG solid wire there, since flexibility isn't as important as simply being ductile enough to be bent into a fixed position.

(Edit:) As far as sources for wire, I haven't kept up on that, especially with regards to domestic suppliers in Australia, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back