DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #12,002 of 16,305
Was able to test and confirm this cable works with my Galaxy Note II and my Nuforce HDP.  Hope this holds true for the HifiM8 that I made it for.

Micro USB B from ebay, USB B harvested from Monoprice cable, 4X26awg UPOCC copper in teflon wires in a spiral twist, Sugru for bodies.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #12,004 of 16,305
Quote:
10' Extension Cable. I've not made a cable in awhile and I can't see as good as I used to up close, so, it was a little harder to do. :) I tried a naked cable this time too. I've seen others do this and decided I liked the look.

Amphenol Right Angle TRS Plug w/ Neutrik Locking Jack. The one thing I liked about the Amphenol Plug was the little holes that held the wire inplace while I soldered each of them. It's a three piece plug so if it was handled a lot I'm not sure how well it would hold up. Not really a concern for me as it'll be plugged in and left alone.

Thanks for looking, Matt

Looks good, for the most part I like my cables bare, I buy high quality cables that have durable jackets and I'm gentle with my cables I rarely feel the need for sleeving though I am fond of TechFlex Nylon Multifilament.

The Amphenol plugs should hold up just fine, they're one of the big few high quality connector manufactures out there. I prefer Neutrik over others due to the 3 jaw strain relief they use. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #12,005 of 16,305
Quote:
I suppose if you wanted to take it one step further you could do build it up to USB spec and do a shield and twist pitch. Looks nice for a low profile OTG cable.

Yep, though it would be a big pain to manage the shield and sleeving in something so compact.  So far, I haven't noticed any interference.  

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #12,006 of 16,305
Honestly with a good signal you shouldn't have much interference issue, keep in mind the USB standards were put in place in order to ensure that devices work which contain RF transmitters and receivers and various high frequency clocks work. A simple DAP interconnect won't be so close to those kinds of internal components. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #12,008 of 16,305
Does anyone know of a good source for 24 awg stranded wire besides doublehelixcables/navships? Kinda looking for something thats flexible and that won't break the bank.
If not, would an 8 strand braid of 26 awg be thick/sturdy enough for full sized cans?

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #12,009 of 16,305
Do any of my fellow Canucks buy from local vendors (PCX, takefive, etc), or do we all just go the ebay/international route? Any hiccups with customs/etc?

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #12,010 of 16,305
8 Conductor Hybrid Cable half Toxic Cables Scorpion, half BTG audio SPC..I found nylon sleeving a lot easier to work with than paracord, the sleeving fit over an 8 wire braid relatively easily..

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #12,011 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone know of a good source for 24 awg stranded wire besides doublehelixcables/navships? Kinda looking for something thats flexible and that won't break the bank.
If not, would an 8 strand braid of 26 awg be thick/sturdy enough for full sized cans?

Guitar Center?  Strip the outer sheath off of some Mogami W2534 and use the inner cores.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #12,012 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:

Guitar Center?  Strip the outer sheath off of some Mogami W2534 and use the inner cores.

Oh that'd be good, guitar center is the only thing close to a physical audio shop we've got around here.
How are the ergonomics of the inner wires?

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #12,014 of 16,305
Quote:
8 Conductor Hybrid Cable half Toxic Cables Scorpion, half BTG audio SPC..I found nylon sleeving a lot easier to work with than paracord, the sleeving fit over an 8 wire braid relatively easily..

Do you know where can I get your sleeves?
They look very nice~~~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back