DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 13, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #10,306 of 16,310
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I am interested in re-terminating a stock HD 650 cable with a mini XLR output (AKG) rather than the Sennheiser outputs, as a beefy replacement cable and to experiment with (call me crazy but I am convinced the 650 cable sounds more laid-back/warm compared to others). Is this even possible? I can't solder though, but thought I might find a DIYer who could aid me with this.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #10,307 of 16,310
Quote:

OK Ver 4.0, this time I changed my braid, and left the Navship cable nude, and changed to mic 3.5 plug, which I must admit is a lttile bit tighter but nothing like my Neutrik L, and I added a piece of SS memory wire for the ears............................

Again it plays beatbox everytime you move, I am close to giving up. I was hoping this was going to work out well, the search goes on for a decent 28AWG that isn't microphonic.

Really nice cable. As far as the SS memory wire is concerned what exactly did you use for the memory wire? Are you just using this 0.6mm stuff or something else?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Loops-Memory-Beading-Wire-for-Necklace-140mm-/160899606447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25765d27af

How does what you are using compare the memory wire UE uses in their stock cables, is it stiffer, more flexible or the same?

I know this may seem like a sort of noob question, but I have looked through hundreds of pages of this thread and also done a whole bunch of searches in this forum and the forum overall and no one seems to actually mention where they are getting their memory wire and what exactly they are using for memory wire.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #10,308 of 16,310
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I am interested in re-terminating a stock HD 650 cable with a mini XLR output (AKG) rather than the Sennheiser outputs, as a beefy replacement cable and to experiment with (call me crazy but I am convinced the 650 cable sounds more laid-back/warm compared to others). Is this even possible? I can't solder though, but thought I might find a DIYer who could aid me with this.

Are you talking about adding mini XLR jacks to the headphone?  I don't think that the structure of the headphones will allow for that cleanly.  The best you could do is make "pigtails" where you wire directly to the drivers and let some cable hang from the earcup terminating to a male mini xlr. 

Hearing is a complicated thing and don't let the Sound Science forum guys convince you that we understand it fully.  If you hear something, then you do, whether or not the cable actually made a difference.  I tend not to hear differences in cables and I have tried nearly every material you can try.  What differences I think I hear are subtle and could simply be differences I want to hear.  What I can say is that the connectors will make close to zero difference.  If you want to try new wires, whether thicker wires or different materials, that is an easy thing to make happen.  I don't think the modifications you want to do are practical or necessary if you are trying to get a sound change.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #10,309 of 16,310
Quote:
Really nice cable. As far as the SS memory wire is concerned what exactly did you use for the memory wire? Are you just using this 0.6mm stuff or something else?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Loops-Memory-Beading-Wire-for-Necklace-140mm-/160899606447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25765d27af

How does what you are using compare the memory wire UE uses in their stock cables, is it stiffer, more flexible or the same?

I know this may seem like a sort of noob question, but I have looked through hundreds of pages of this thread and also done a whole bunch of searches in this forum and the forum overall and no one seems to actually mention where they are getting their memory wire and what exactly they are using for memory wire.

Anecdotally, I want to say that a lot of people don't like memory wire.  I know that I cut out the memory wire of any IEM I get that has it.  Depending on the dialectric (works with polyethylene but not teflon), you get some wires to hold their shape decently well using a heatgun.

In general, you just need a wire that holds its shape well.  I have used some 22awg silver plated teflon that would be good memory wire since it holds its shape.  It was terrible for the rest of the cable though.  In general, fewer strands means more memory.  

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #10,310 of 16,310
Quote:
Are you talking about adding mini XLR jacks to the headphone?  I don't think that the structure of the headphones will allow for that cleanly.  The best you could do is make "pigtails" where you wire directly to the drivers and let some cable hang from the earcup terminating to a male mini xlr.

Thanks for responding! Basically I have an HD650 and love the sound, and notice than when changing cables, I find the stock cable to be slightly less bright and slightly more warm. This stock cable is 1/4plug to two seperate channel sennheiser plugs. I was wondering if it would be possible to take away the sennheiser outputs and use the sennheiser copper cable to re-terminate it into a female mini-xlr end which is supported by my AKG headphone, which might just provide some extra warmth. Or it might not. I'd love to know.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #10,311 of 16,310
So you want to use the Sennheiser cable on your AKG's?  If so, that is pretty straightforward.  I don't think anyone can reasonable tell you that it will definitely sound warmer or not with your AKG's.  You will have to try it.  You can post in the FS/FT forum that you are looking for a DIY cable maker who can help.  Or you can PM people in this thread since they obviously make cables :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #10,312 of 16,310
Quote:
So you want to use the Sennheiser cable on your AKG's?

Basically, yes. Already found someone
normal_smile .gif
. Great community, this is.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #10,314 of 16,310
Anecdotally, I want to say that a lot of people don't like memory wire.  I know that I cut out the memory wire of any IEM I get that has it.  Depending on the dialectric (works with polyethylene but not teflon), you get some wires to hold their shape decently well using a heatgun.

I'm personally ambivalent about memory wire. I don't cut it out of the cables I have, but I don't build cables with it either. Instead, I apply a long tube of heat-shrink to the IEM end of the cable and mould it into a C shape. It takes some fiddling to adjust, but as long as you have a heat gun and patience, you can tune and position it however you like. I think the springiness works better than memory wire at keeping the IEMs and wire in place, and it never leaves me wishing I had a yoke slider either.

The main technical downside to any memory wire is that, since it is metal, it is vulnerable to fatigue and snapping off before the rest of the cable is fatigued.. On some cables it can be difficult to replace.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #10,315 of 16,310
This is another cable re work. I posted a picture of a Toxic Cables trans blue SPC / silver hybrid cable a few pages ago.

After some usage, it was apparent that the hybrid didnt synergise too well with my set up, so I took it all appart and swapped the SPC for Silver, to make a full silver cable. Same Westone style connectors, same r/a jack plug, slightly reworked Y split cover, new chin slider.

Decided to try and take some photos on something other than my kitchen worktop. I got a fair few odd looks on my way down to the shops this morning....

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #10,316 of 16,310
Quote:

In general, you just need a wire that holds its shape well.  I have used some 22awg silver plated teflon that would be good memory wire since it holds its shape.  It was terrible for the rest of the cable though.  In general, fewer strands means more memory.  

Thanks for the tip I may try that for memory wire. Yeah I know a lot of people don't like the memory wire, but I personally really like it. My UE replacement cable broke (at the 3.5mm plug) and I felt it did not last long enough, so instead of giving logitech more money I figure I will try an make my own cable. But I have no idea if they use something like I posted above or just a stiff wire like you mentioned. And I could not find any info on what the few who actually use memory wire in their own cables use for it. I would just take my cable apart, but I have to re solder it and use it as stopgap until I can make my own cable. These apple earbuds I am using in the interim for my daily commute are driving me nuts! They don't stay in my ears I don't understand how people use these things.

Quote:
I'm personally ambivalent about memory wire. I don't cut it out of the cables I have, but I don't build cables with it either. Instead, I apply a long tube of heat-shrink to the IEM end of the cable and mould it into a C shape. It takes some fiddling to adjust, but as long as you have a heat gun and patience, you can tune and position it however you like. I think the springiness works better than memory wire at keeping the IEMs and wire in place, and it never leaves me wishing I had a yoke slider either.
The main technical downside to any memory wire is that, since it is metal, it is vulnerable to fatigue and snapping off before the rest of the cable is fatigued.. On some cables it can be difficult to replace.

Interesting. Yeah as far as the fatigue goes that is why I really wanted to know what other people have used (the few that use it) or if the UE cables use the type of memory wire I posted earlier as I did not have any problems with the memory wire breaking on the UE cables. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post of my own cables in a few weeks.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #10,319 of 16,310
Time to empty out my cable drawer!  I sometimes make cables without purpose because I like it as an activity.  Kind of like coloring.  Anyways, here are some old ones plus retaken pictures of some more recent ones:

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #10,320 of 16,310
Thanks for the useful links!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back