DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #5,297 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
z2Oav.jpg

How did you get the cable after the split to stay twisted? It looks great.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #5,298 of 16,309
it just does. twist it right and as long as you have a small piece of shrink at the end, it will stay twisted

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #5,299 of 16,309
Just recieved parcel from Redco
redface.gif

Here are some photos of Redco RRCA (I know they are sometimes needed):
s640x480.jpg
s640x480.jpg

0004d6ex.jpg

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #5,301 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice recable.

thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you get the cable after the split to stay twisted? It looks great.

qusp is right, you just twist it, and it stays

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #5,302 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks!

qusp is right, you just twist it, and it stays

yep, though it is possible to stuff it up, as has been seen a bit lately

there must be heatshrink at the end to hold it in place, but also to maintain the best twist I have found that if you hold the wire fairly loosely in your hands so it is kind of wrapped around each other rather than twisted around each other, if that makes sense.

but the heatshrink; or something holding the section at the end firmly is the most important thing

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5,303 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3am /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just recieved parcel from Redco
redface.gif

Here are some photos of Redco RRCA (I know they are sometimes needed):

LOL, yes, an army of RRCA's. Great pictures. One of the best value plugs out there.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #5,304 of 16,309
And just for fun:

The "Dogbone":

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4834-nano-mini-close.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4835-nano-mini.jpg

24mm tip to tip
Nucleotide cryo'd OCC copper
Home Depot epoxy putty
Neutrik minis snipped off at the connector tabs

Did this as an experiment for someone who thought it was ugly but gave it it's great name. Could definitely use some touch up shaping with the dremel, but then it might lose some of its ghetto charm.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #5,305 of 16,309
Wanted to see how hard a mini USB cable would be to make, so this beauty was born:

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4845-mini-usb.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4846-mini-usb-end.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4847-mini-usb-b-end.jpg

This time since this is for portable use, I forwent the separation of the power from the data. This is much closer to a standard USB 2.0 cable, as I used 24awg Mogami for power and 26awg for data. Foil shield, braided shield, and then a layer of teflon tape to seal out moisture. Then came prettification with a layer of silver mylar techflex and then a layer of clear techflex. Oh, the gold plated connectors were careful transplants from a Monoprice cable since I still don't know of a place to get gold plated shells. Soldering the mini B end was a pain, and using anything thicker than 24awg would probably be overly tedious and in danger of bridging with solder or stray strands.

And most importantly, it works! Of course, I got rid of my portable DAC, so I can't use it in that capacity. However, it both charges and transfers data between my Clip+ and my computer. A fun little project.

PS For those of you inclined to ask why anyone would make a usb cable or to tell me I am out of spec or whatever, please save it, we have gone over that many times in this thread and others. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #5,306 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wanted to see how hard a mini USB cable would be to make, so this beauty was born:

I love it, FraGGleR! Just curious - how's the flexibility what with all them layers? And how does one address strain relief with a cable like that where the micro work is so tedious and there's risk of bridging?

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #5,307 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediaogre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love it, FraGGleR! Just curious - how's the flexibility what with all them layers? And how does one address strain relief with a cable like that where the micro work is so tedious and there's risk of bridging?

Useable flexibility isn't bad at all, but you can't put a really sharp bend in it (nor would you really want to). The two layers of shielding seems to be more limiting than the techflex. Once the connections were soldered down, I used hotglue as both sealant and strain relief. There is also a clamp style strain relief on each connector which further secures the wires. Once all the layers were on, double-walled adhesive lined heatshrink was used on the large A end to form a hard connector around everything else, securing it in place. Since I only have that heatshrink in one size, I mimicked it for the mini B side by using a smooth a layer of hot glue around the connector followed by a layer of heatshrink to secure it all. A second layer of heatshrink was added to both ends for further security as well as tidying up the aesthetics.

The short of it is that it would take some remarkable abuse for the connections to fail (I think
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #5,309 of 16,309
Surprisingly light, actually, at least in comparison to how thick it is. Clip just barely stays in place on the desk
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, how many times heavier is the cable than the Clip+?
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #5,310 of 16,309
Here is two rather unique designs that are prototypes in the photos, but went on to become solid designs that sound amazing.

This is a 3/4" consistant spacing, flat design which utilizes two 26ga rectangular solid core conductors of 99.999999 purity Cu. VERY difficult to obtain stuff, but well worth it. The outer construction is natural unbleached cotton, and as you can see the conductors have almost NO dialectric of any kind to worry with, making air itself make up most of the dialectric material, and plugs are Eichman. ( To those who believe, this cable has an almost euphoric presentation. Very warm and rich sounding, with HUGE soundtage and tons of air ... Made for systems on the brighter side )

Picture007.jpg

This dimunitive little interconnect is the single most revealing cable I have ever heard, and manages to be that revealing without a hint of brightness ! It utilizes 3 26ga solid core silver Ag conductors of 99.99999 purity, each conductor encased in natural unbleached cotton sleeves, then tightly twisted together. I use one leg for positive and two for negative. I went through exactly 8 different solid silver conductors from 6 different manufacturers, before finally finding one that did NOT have a zing, or edge to the sound with this particular construction. ( To those who believe, this cable has a speed and airiness that has to be heard to be believed. It has the ability to take an overly warm system and make it sound neutral and fast. Separation in the soundstage is amazing. Warning : lesser purity silver, or silver in Teflon used with this construction WILL be bright and edgy ... i do not know why. Also, gold RCA plugs must be used, never silver, or once again it will be bright )

007.jpg

My observations of the sonics in my cables are my honest opinions. If you do not believe in sonic differences in cables, please simply disregard my comments, as I DO NOT discuss a subject where neither side will EVER be convinced differently. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back