DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 23, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #5,281 of 16,312
Tried making a resistor cable, using crappy radioshack parts. Its not pretty, lol. I think It works though... It sounds good at low levels, it seems to have widened the soundstage, but I have to turn it up so much it clips way to much I think. It distorts badly. I hope its not what I did lol. I used 68 ohm resistors, is that too much? Any way picture time:
P2220058.jpg

P2220059.jpg

P2220056.jpg

Edit: made just a 1/4-1/4 this one worked out alot better.
P2220044.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #5,282 of 16,312
I know you're not going to want to hear this after you've already done all the work, but all you'd have needed was two resistors. Using the third resistor on the ground not only increases the output impedance from the 68 ohms you were intending to 136 ohms, but it's also going to create a severe amount of crosstalk between channels.

se

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5,283 of 16,312
I have made another LOD. This is my low profile one for now. I plan to make another with the same connector, some 24 or 26 awg TWcu copper wire, and a Viablue connector. But this one is some wire from a old pair of crappy earbuds, and a Neutrik 3.5mm.

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #5,284 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're not going to want to hear this after you've already done all the work, but all you'd have needed was two resistors. Using the third resistor on the ground not only increases the output impedance from the 68 ohms you were intending to 136 ohms, but it's also going to create a severe amount of crosstalk between channels.

se

Oh wow! electrical theory 101 lol. Should have thought of that.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #5,285 of 16,312
O knowledgeable fellow cable makers, could I please have your opinions on a certain matter?

What I wish to know is what's the absolutely most soft, supple and nimble wire out there in there in the 28-24awg class?
Copper, silver or what grade of purity is not important, what's the deciding factors I imagine is the thickness and material used for isolation, and probably how fine the individual strands are.

Zo, anyone with a bit of experience on this matter? FraGGleR? Steve?

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5,286 of 16,312
I haven't come across a wire as flexible as the Cooner SPC wire that Koyaan I Sqatsi introduced me to. It has a ridiculous amount of stranding and a silicone insulation. However, it is thick. Not sure the exact gauge, but at least 20awg, possibly 18awg. It is silver plated copper and has been the absolute perfect cable for my portable headphones due to its flexibility.

Runner up for me is the Nucleotide OCC copper from Doublehelixcables. Pretty finely stranded with a polyethelene insulation. I haven't tried any from the newest batch, but it is supposed to be even more flexible now due to some annealing added to its manufacturing process. It is 24awg.

I have stripped 22, 24, and 26awg wires out of various Mogami wire and used them with good success, but the Nucleotide is still more flexible, especially when compared to the 22 and 24awg Mogami.

Everything else I have used has been solid core or super stiff (Navships SPC)

Hope that helps.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #5,288 of 16,312
A pair of nice simple RCA's to go from my bantam to my bravo:

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4830-simple-rca.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4831-simple-rca-plugs.jpg

2ft each of Mogami W2893
Gold plated RCA's with anodized aluminum shells from A&B systems on ebay
Nylon multifilament

These RCA's surprised me with how nice they are (the red is really pretty in person). They only cost like $6 shipped for 4 of them, but they are machined very well. They are fairly small and very lightweight because of the aluminum. The ground tab is a little easily bent, but other than that, everything is very solid. Very happy with the find.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #5,289 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, as FraGGleR mentioned, the Cooner is exceedingly limp and flexible. However my source for it is just about dried up and it doesn't look like he's going to order any more (switching over to the Cardas PC mount RCAs). If you don't need a lot of it, I can get you some.

Another option, and my personal favorite, is 165/46 litz wire. It needs to be jacketed in something though, such as multifilament nylon, cotton or silk. And you really need a solder pot to work with it properly.

se

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #5,290 of 16,312
I was thinking about silk jacketing, so litz wire should be ok, maybe perfect even.
I'm thinking about ~250ft, just to have a good supply.

I've noted 1n34a.com as an outlet, but they seem to be out of this specific type until April. I might go for a smaller sample of their 630/46 or some Cooner in the meantime.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #5,291 of 16,312
Quote:

However my source for it is just about dried up and it doesn't look like he's going to order any more (switching over to the Cardas PC mount RCAs). If you don't need a lot of it, I can get you some.

se

Oh no! I feel the urge to buy some just so I have it. Don't need it though.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #5,292 of 16,312
Quote:

I've noted 1n34a.com as an outlet, but they seem to be out of this specific type until April. I might go for a smaller sample of their 630/46 or some Cooner in the meantime.

I'd go with the 100/45 over the 630/46. The 630/46 is big (it's nearly 18 gauge equivalent), and while it's very flexible, it's not nearly as limp as the 100/45 or 165/46.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no! I feel the urge to buy some just so I have it. Don't need it though.

Yeah. But when you're a hopeless addict, it sure feels like you do, don't it?

Next thing you know you'll be standing on freeway offramps holding a cardboard sign that says "WHY LIE? I NEED SOME WIRE!"
atsmile.gif

se

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #5,293 of 16,312
Quote:

O knowledgeable fellow cable makers, could I please have your opinions on a certain matter?

What I wish to know is what's the absolutely most soft, supple and nimble wire out there in there in the 28-24awg class?
Copper, silver or what grade of purity is not important, what's the deciding factors I imagine is the thickness and material used for isolation, and probably how fine the individual strands are.

Hey, Limpidglitch. It's a tad spendy, but CryoParts' TWcu in .5mm (~24.5AWG) is extremely supple. The individual strands are fine and durable (I used some attempting to repair some old Senns).

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #5,294 of 16,312
Quote:

Yeah. But when you're a hopeless addict, it sure feels like you do, don't it?

Next thing you know you'll be standing on freeway offramps holding a cardboard sign that says "WHY LIE? I NEED SOME WIRE!"
atsmile.gif

se

You are uncomfortably correct
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back