DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 5, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #1,411 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
The good thing about the unibit is that it cuts cleanly enough that if you're careful the results are good enough that you don't feel obligated to cover it with shrink.

Nate

Wouldn't rough edges on the inside pose a danger to the integrity of the length of the cable inside?

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #1,412 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
Wouldn't rough edges on the inside pose a danger to the integrity of the length of the cable inside?

I might be wrong, but Ill take a stab at an answer,
my guess is that the cable jacket is fully inserted into the barrel.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #1,413 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly

The unibits that I use don't leave a rough edge by design, and of course I visually inspect the edges and if there are any burrs I file them smooth. But, as RnB correctly pointed out the whole idea behind the enlarging of the entry is so that the entire cable assembly (jacket, flex, etc.) can be fed into the housing for a cleaner look.

I think I've posted this picture before but just for reference purposes here's what an enlarged jack looks like.

Left = Normal (1 layer of flex) : Right = Enlarged (2 layers of flex)

original.jpg

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #1,414 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
akg2.jpg

akg3.jpg

The pretty pics

note: I do not do headphone recables. Sorry
frown.gif

just wanted to show off ,my 601s fully rewired, fully balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you should get out of cableing and into photography. Everytime i see something of yours generally the photography is outstanding. Cudos to you
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #1,415 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
I think you should get out of cableing and into photography. Everytime i see something of yours generally the photography is outstanding. Cudos to you
biggrin.gif

Im into Art not really photography specifically, alot of the images have errors, but thats because I didnt spend much time on them.

Never picked up photography, but I do understand design and fine arts, which is the reason why some may notice that most of my images follow composition in all the photos. i.e. relation of lighting and shadows, dynamics, focus, position of the objects in the image, eye movement throughout the picture and so on.
Kind of like artwork.

Thanks for the compliment. Glad to here its appreciated.

cheers!

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #1,416 of 16,306
Another iPod to line out to RCA cable. This one is made from Canare Star Quad with Canare RCA's. This is going to connected to a car stereo via an aux input on the head unit. This is a lot like the one I use in my truck.

JasoniPodtoRCA001.jpg

JasoniPodtoRCA009.jpg

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #1,418 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
headchange4u: Wow, nice little cable, similar to what I have, but I went retail cause I really didn't know about this forum when I planned the IPod car integration. How long did it take you to make those and how much did it cost?

There is not more then about $10 worth of parts there... although shipping for those $10 worth would come to easily $10+

Should take perhaps an hour or so your first time... not much labor involved.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #1,420 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
headchange4u: Wow, nice little cable, similar to what I have, but I went retail cause I really didn't know about this forum when I planned the IPod car integration. How long did it take you to make those and how much did it cost?

Like grandenigma1 said, there is not more than $10 in the cable (not counting shipping costs for the parts). When I first started making them it took about an hour to make but, believe it or not my build time on these cables has gone up. Normally as I get more familiar with working with certain materials and connnectors, my build time goes down, but not with these babies. I have been perfecting my iPod line out cables for a while and I have quite a few under my belt. I have recently perfected my build process with these cables and it takes a little over 2 hours, from start to finish, to build one.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #1,421 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
...I have recently perfected my build process with these cables and it takes a little over 2 hours, from start to finish, to build one.

Would you mind making a pictoral of the process you go through the next cable you make? I am sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #1,423 of 16,306
Just got into this. And I have to say... I find this impossible (Melting connectors, solder not sticking, solder sticking then coming loose, ground being continued through different channels, etc...), but with the help of a £5 flux pen... This is a doddle. Made this 1/4 female - 1/8 male connector in 20 mins. Works fine.
Canare Starquad, Maplin Connectors + Heatshrink + Solder, Carbon Techflex...
Photos from my N90, couldn't find my dads digital camera.

Cable3.jpg

Cable4.jpg

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #1,424 of 16,306
Hey all,

Just started making cables over the last couple of weeks, so here is what I have done so far. Want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread as it has helped me out immensely. Thanks.

Aaron

1/4" mono female to 1/8" stereo male to hook my guitar up to the computer
conv.jpg

instrument cable for guitar
instr.jpg

ipod line out
ipod2.jpg

all.jpg

mini to rca
rca.jpg

rca2.jpg

mini to mini