DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 27, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #1,441 of 16,309
hembergler,
I found taking a fireplace lighter (or just a normal lighter) to singe the loose ends of the techflex is a very very good way to make sure they don't fray

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #1,442 of 16,309
Custom 1/8th inch male-to-male cable for my c-moy amp.
built using only the finest, most exlusive "Cheapo de Generica" parts that money can buy.
biggrin.gif

100_3070.jpg

Once again, constructed at "chateau de Skudmunky".

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #1,443 of 16,309
Yeah, Rs was going out to get some plugs (from Radio shack) and was nice enough to get me some too, as long as we soldered asap. Here's what I did:

Comparison of my old, clunky cable and my new small DIY one.
cablecomparison.jpg

beauty shot, click for really big version:

'Nother shot, I've molded the wires so it won't cause any stress on either my amp or Zen Micro headphone jacks.
customcable1.jpg

Here it is in action, click for biggerness.

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #1,444 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
hembergler,
I found taking a fireplace lighter (or just a normal lighter) to singe the loose ends of the techflex is a very very good way to make sure they don't fray

I think I've found out a decent way to work with the techflex now. I'm just cutting it a bit too long to begin with, and then taping it down with electrical tape. Once the tape is covered up by the cover of the connector, it looks pretty slick, especially if the connector fits tightly.
icon10.gif

Oh, and I also cut off the strands on my first cable, and put some heatshrink onto it, I'd be willing to take a photo if anyone wants to see it. (which I doubt
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #1,445 of 16,309
I'm honestly not sure if I'm using this forum right.
confused.gif

I have been trying to find some colored ptfe or other tubing for my cables. I would like it to be flexible and available in various colors. The diameter needed at the moment is about 6mm or 1/4in. O.D. Though I will likely need larger in the near future.

I found Nylotube, but have only found it online and in bulk. I'd rather not waste the money on 100' or more just to see if it fits my needs. if it doesn't I'm out a few weeks and 3/4 of a benjamin.

The tubing would be purely decorative as the the wire itself is double shielded and insulated.

Thanks for any help guys!

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #1,446 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by susedan
I'm honestly not sure if I'm using this forum right.
confused.gif

I have been trying to find some colored ptfe or other tubing for my cables. I would like it to be flexible and available in various colors. The diameter needed at the moment is about 6mm or 1/4in. O.D. Though I will likely need larger in the near future.

I found Nylotube, but have only found it online and in bulk. I'd rather not waste the money on 100' or more just to see if it fits my needs. if it doesn't I'm out a few weeks and 3/4 of a benjamin.

The tubing would be purely decorative as the the wire itself is double shielded and insulated.

Thanks for any help guys!

Is this it? Wirecare

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #1,447 of 16,309
Here's some more I've made...

A long Mini-Mini cable (Connecting my cMoy to my soundcard)
CableMini.jpg

Short Mini-Mini cables (One made with canare starquad and the other two with braided cheap Maplin cable)
CableMini2.jpg

A Mini-RCA cable (Connecting my Sony Speakers to my soundcard)
CableRCA2.jpg

CableRCA.jpg

[Edit] Took it away. Just realised it could sound like i'm wanting you lovely people to say nice things. :p Thanks Owen Bartley for your postive comment. :) [/Edit]

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #1,448 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé
Don't laugh, i'm young and inexperienced, without any knowledge of this sort of thing. Anyway, at least they work. Which is the main thing.

Don't settle yourself short. They look good. You should be proud to show them off!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #1,449 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
Is this it? Wirecare

I haven't been to that site before I don't think, they have some nice stuff.

However I'm looking for some tubing to cover my wiring and make everything nice and smooth on the outside. I would primarily need white and black, but would also like red, blue and green. Maybe even grey.

Thanks for the help though

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #1,450 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon
Don't settle yourself short. They look good. You should be proud to show them off!
rs1smile.gif

I agree, my cables are pretty hideous, and I've been showing them to anyone who would pay attention to me for more than two seconds.
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #1,451 of 16,309
A RatShack inline TRS jack, some Mogami 2534 starquad, a couple of Neutrik NYS352G RCA's, and a bit of heatshrink. I simply connect it to the preamp outputs of a Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24. That setup drives both MS-1's and HD600's with no problems at all!

Passive_headamp.jpg

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #1,455 of 16,309
phones.jpg

I made this cable for my Sennheiser HD580s a few weeks back and I just got a camera (Excuse the blur, I was shooting in low light and I did not have the flash on). I used the Sennheiser connectors excavated to get to the pins and a Canare 1/4 TRS phone connector. Initally there was one large piece of shrink covering the connector, but eventual tearing in the shrink forced me to put on two pieces.

I can hear a definite improvement in sound over the stock cable. There is a definite tweaking in the harmonics of the sound, definitely noticeable in the voices of female vocalists. It's hard to describe but it seems like there's a reduction in unwanted harmonic overtones. Also the bass seems a little less wandering and more smooth. I also noticed a reduction in harshness that's noticable when I listen for really long periods. Great to know I can make a true audiophile quality cable on the cheap, thanks to you guys!
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back