DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 12, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #1,396 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
I really didn't want to mention that idea in public, per the new rules.
tongue.gif
But if someone wants to ask Jude about it, I would be down.

Whoops, breakin the rules and I didn't even know it :p

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #1,397 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
well, myo, don't keep us in suspenders, how did the recable change their sound?

I still like my sennhesiers better. the 601s headphones really lack the bass presence.

i cant comment on how it sounds compared to the stock version. The headphones arent even burned in yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #1,398 of 16,309
Well, being snowed in yesterday, I decided to try my hand at making cables.
My first attempt:

Its a little right angle to right angle mini connector to go between my cmoy (built yesterday as well) and my ipod. Works wonderfully. Doesnt look the greatest, and the heatshrink aint perfect, but it works. They are Nerutrik right angle connectors.
Second attempt:

This is about a 5" mini female -> mini male cord. What you cant see is that there are 75 ohm resistors connected to the left and right channels in there, to up the impedance on my hd595's. Works wonderfully at bringing out the bass. Calrad male and female mini connectors.
Third and final attempt of the day:

Its about a 5'2" mini->rca cable, which goes between my computer and my marantz 2226 reciever. I think it turned out pretty well, but getting that split done right was a major PITA. Its a male calrad mini on on end and some male nerutrik rca's on the other.
All of these cables use silver plated copper wire. All of them are blue because thats all that i have around the house. Im still waiting for my colored techflex shipment to come in, but i couldnt wait any longer.
Let me know whats you think of my first attempt at making wire.
-g

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #1,400 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
My Cardas Crosslink IC's:

Nice looking cables! I have to admit that after building a mini/rca with the LOK plugs that I hate them now. If I'm going to shell out megabucks for RCA's I'm a ProFi guy all the way now. Maybe we can have LOK/ProFi fights like the Grado/Senn/Stax/Beyer/AKG boys do
biggrin.gif
. And for the most part I prefer the simple look and function of Canare F-09s for most everything these days.

medium.jpg

That's just a simple little mini/RCA that I traded for a mobo recently.

Nate

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #1,401 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Nice looking cables! I have to admit that after building a mini/rca with the LOK plugs that I hate them now. If I'm going to shell out megabucks for RCA's I'm a ProFi guy all the way now. Maybe we can have LOK/ProFi fights like the Grado/Senn/Stax/Beyer/AKG boys do
biggrin.gif
. And for the most part I prefer the simple look and function of Canare F-09s for most everything these days.

medium.jpg

That's just a simple little mini/RCA that I traded for a mobo recently.

Nate

nice work on getting the mini connector to fit seemlessly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #1,402 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
nice work on getting the mini connector to fit seemlessly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I find that using a stepped drill bit and enlarging the Neutrik barrel works quite nicely. Otherwise you have to stop the flex short of the jack which telegraphs through the shrink which is no good. Yet another example of the unibit being a must-have tool.

Nate

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #1,403 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Thanks, I find that using a stepped drill bit and enlarging the Neutrik barrel works quite nicely. Otherwise you have to stop the flex short of the jack which telegraphs through the shrink which is no good. Yet another example of the unibit being a must-have tool.

Nate

Ive done the same thing, only a bit less gracefully. I used my dremel with a barrel cutting bit to enlarge it when i needed to enlarge that exact neutrik barrel.
-g

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #1,404 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Ive done the same thing, only a bit less gracefully. I used my dremel with a barrel cutting bit to enlarge it when i needed to enlarge that exact neutrik barrel.
-g

The good thing about the unibit is that it cuts cleanly enough that if you're careful the results are good enough that you don't feel obligated to cover it with shrink.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back