DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #13,892 of 16,306
  I made this Mogami cable with a SwitchCraft 3 pin mini xlr on one end and a 3.5mm Rean on the other. Wrapped in 3/16" multifilament from PlusSound.

The headphone is all DIY. Takstar Hi-2050 with DIY grills, paint, Audio Technica AD2000 drivers, 3-pin mini xlr chassis, and Memory Foam pleather HM5 pads. Flagship sound on a budget :D

I just j*zzed in my pants... O_o Awesome! Makes me want to buy Takstar Hi-2050 again... but then again, I need to finish my wooden HD-662F project ;P
I haven`t taken any pics from further progress but here`s a glimpse from long time ago using Lumberg 3.5mm jack connections:

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #13,895 of 16,306

beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #13,896 of 16,306
  I made this Mogami cable with a SwitchCraft 3 pin mini xlr on one end and a 3.5mm Rean on the other. Wrapped in 3/16" multifilament from PlusSound.

The headphone is all DIY. Takstar Hi-2050 with DIY grills, paint, Audio Technica AD2000 drivers, 3-pin mini xlr chassis, and Memory Foam pleather HM5 pads. Flagship sound on a budget :D

How much did that cost you? It looks amazing!

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #13,898 of 16,306
Is there any major differences between say .9999 fine silver wire amd say mogami w2893?

There's a DIY Cable Questions thread, FYI
beerchug.gif
. Silver conducts 5% better... that's about it. So lower resistance, and a lot more cost. I'm not a believer in cables, as the signal is going to make it through any cable the same. As long as suitable gauges and not crazy lengths are used, any cable should work. I see some people buying 10 ft. cables for hundreds of dollars... and get a good laugh out of it. If you want to discuss it more, PM, the other cable thread, dedicated cable threads, or the Sound Science section all are good places to hear about it. I used Mogami 2893 in my last build, a big, fun 8-strand 5ft. Audeze SE cable sleeved in black reflective paracord.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #13,901 of 16,306
I've got an Enigma on loan but it didn't come with a balanced cable. Therefore...

Sometimes simple is just the way to go

...(though for some reason "simple" sometimes still takes a couple hours to make...)

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #13,903 of 16,306
Just so happens a few connectors arrived in the mail today...
wink_face.gif

Here is the single sided cable for the T50RP's,  those Toxic TRS are of excellent quality and great to work with.
Thanks Frank!

Makes a great headphone for the portable rig.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #13,904 of 16,306
Man that looks awesome! I'm really liking the 2 strand braid you've got there, I think my next cable might have to be that way.

Thanks man
cool.gif
I was at first thinking I'd do an 8 strand tri-colour ladder style braid, but then I looked at the clock showing 11pm and though "naaaah". Then after fiddling around in my workshop and finishing up the cable above I look at the clock again "1am? dub tee eff, oh well" then snuck in another half hour of music before going to bed.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #13,905 of 16,306
Just so happens a few connectors arrived in the mail today... :wink_face:

Here is the single sided cable for the T50RP's,  those Toxic TRS are of excellent quality and great to work with.
Thanks Frank!

Makes a great headphone for the portable rig.

Looking good! Whered the connectors come from? :p

I love the single/dual entry capability of your headphones, brilliant!

Thanks man :cool: I was at first thinking I'd do an 8 strand tri-colour ladder style braid, but then I looked at the clock showing 11pm and though "naaaah". Then after fiddling around in my workshop and finishing up the cable above I look at the clock again "1am? dub tee eff, oh well" then snuck in another half hour of music before going to bed.

I made an 8 strand interconnect once and even that took quite a while. It's not easy keeping the wires looking neat while you do it, I probably won't do it again unless someone asks me to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back