DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 24, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #13,861 of 16,306
Thanks. I tuned photo littlebit because I had crappy light conditions and shiiity camera:

Btw, who is interested, I used this paracord: http://www.ebairsoft.com/nylon-paracord-redod-p-4019.html

...that'll rustle your jimmies for sure.

Wonder what it could be ;D

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #13,863 of 16,306
weaving? I just pulled paracord "skirt" over shielding layer (PVC layer removed) :wink:
Or did You mean FrozenPanda SE215 recabling on previous page?

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #13,865 of 16,306
  I'm new to this whole 'DIY Cable' thing, but I decided to give it a try this past weekend.  I needed an interconnect to go between my Schiit Modi and my amplifier, and after browsing quite a few pages from this thread (I gave up after about 250) settled on the following:

I used 16 strands of solid copper that I sheathed individually with #1 paracord in both red and black (that part took the longest) and then weaved them together using a cross-whip weave style I picked up after studying pictures of Jena Labs speaker cables.  I began with all the red on one side and the black on another, and ended the same way.  I think it turned out pretty good, and it sounds great.

Although, to be honest, this was just a proof-of-concept.  I've never woven (or braided, for that matter) anything before this, nor had I ever soldered anything.  This one is really just a temporary solution.  I learned a lot making this cable, and will probably make another, more permanent solution using silver wire and higher-quality RCA plugs.

My little boy was holding the end of the cable in this picture.  He really wanted to help out!

The cables connected to my current setup (I'm a teacher, and this is on the desk in my classroom.)

My bad. lol.
I was refering to this post by Sean.
How was the weaving done?
I want to try also.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #13,866 of 16,306

Btw, who is interested, I used this paracord: http://www.ebairsoft.com/nylon-paracord-redod-p-4019.html

Wonder what it could be ;D

do you have to remove the rubber skin of the cord and then slide that in? or thats big enough to just slide right in?

I also have a non tangle type of cord (slim sata cable like) along with a stardard rubber sleeved replacement cable on the X1, will that fit into the cord or do I have to peel the skins off?

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #13,867 of 16,306
I used Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-Patch cable which has smaller outer diameter 4.85mm. I was also hoping that I could just slide paracord over it but no, You have to remove "rubber skin". And there`s little trick how to sleeve easy. pull out littlebit paracord inside lines (usually white), glue them to the end of cable with superglue and just start pulling from the other side of paracord from inside white lines.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #13,869 of 16,306
Excellent Work!
I just love that Split too.
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #13,871 of 16,306
Ya, I tried the same kinda thing... turned out nothing like that. All the more impressive to see such clean work!

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #13,872 of 16,306
Ya, I tried the same kinda thing... turned out nothing like that. All the more impressive to see such clean work!

Practice my friend. Just a year ago I was a total noob when it came to making cables, but now I have my own techniques and maybe just a little more patience. Haha

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #13,874 of 16,306
It's been far too long since I've posted in this thread. Thanks for all the wonderful entries that everyone has contributed! 

Here's one of my latest builds, it features an Oyiade rhodium plated mini connector, two Vampire gold plated RCAs, Cardas 19.5 gauge internally litzed wires, Cardas Quadeutectic solder, nylon multifilament, and paracord. I built it for my dining room system which consists of a DIYTube Budgie SE amplifier, a pair of Boston speakers and an ipod. 

Everyone keep up the great work! :D 

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #13,875 of 16,306
First time building cables. Bought a neutrik 6.3mm jack for my new cable. Pretty simple looking but has a great quality feel to it.

edit: looks better in real life. I had no other cable available for the end piece so I used cat5 xD At least the headphones sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back