DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #9,781 of 16,309
Peter at Doublehelixcables.com sells some very good stranded UPOCC copper wire in both clear and translucent black polyethylene (cryo treated as well).  He has had it available to DIY'ers for several years now and gets it custom made from one of the few official producers of OCC wire.  I use it almost exclusively due to the quality and price (and Peter's great service and advice).  

As for Navships SPC, I usually sleeve cables to reduce movement-generated cable noise.

I am happy that more companies are making high quality wire available for DIY'ers.  When I first started up and before Peter had his own wire, ALO and Cryo-parts (now closed) were the only places to get it and they are expensive as chip.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #9,782 of 16,309
And because this is a forum for posting pictures of cables, here is a Christmas cable that I made a couple years ago for a set of AKG K81DJ's that I modified for detachable cables:

Pretty sure this is made out of deconstructed Mogami 2893 wire, with Neutrik 3.5" mono plugs for headphone entry, and a Neutrik right angled 3.5" stereo plug for the source.  Each wire was sleeved in Needloft nylon craft cord and then braided.  Sadly Needloft no longer makes the craft cord so I am in search for a good alternative.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #9,783 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pingupenguins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't want to get slapped on the wrist for commenting on the forums, so send me a pm or email.

I was actually worried about answering questions myself, but MOT are allowed to answer direct questions asked on the forums about products they sell.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #9,784 of 16,309

Low profile ipod LOD. Made with translucent black and clear insulated SPC From Toxic Cables.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #9,785 of 16,309
I need to find a 3.5mm female jack (stereo) that is made of quality.
Preferably in the color of black.
I have been searching google four about an hour...

So far this is the only thing I have found that is close to what I am looking for.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/connectors/3-5mm-1-8-and-2-5mm-jacks-and-plugs/3-5mm-female-jack-30319f/prod30319F.html

If anyone knows a place that sells an encased 3.5mm female jack like the one listed above, please post the company name or a link to their website. I would greatly appreciate it!!:D

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #9,786 of 16,309
Aug 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #9,787 of 16,309
Quote:
I need to find a 3.5mm female jack (stereo) that is made of quality.
Preferably in the color of black.
I have been searching google four about an hour...
So far this is the only thing I have found that is close to what I am looking for.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/connectors/3-5mm-1-8-and-2-5mm-jacks-and-plugs/3-5mm-female-jack-30319f/prod30319F.html
If anyone knows a place that sells an encased 3.5mm female jack like the one listed above, please post the company name or a link to their website. I would greatly appreciate it!!
biggrin.gif

Neutrik NYS240BG

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #9,789 of 16,309
Techflex has made it worse in my experience.  If you went with nylon multifilament or 550 paracord, you could damp the sound and add some nice class to the cable.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #9,790 of 16,309
Quote:
If I braided 4 strands of navships spc and sleved it in techflex would that get rid of the microphonics?

Techflex is a company, and if your talking about the expandable sleeving that Furryletters sells, that will make it worse.

Furry letters also sells nylon multifilament. That stuff is pretty good at reducing cable noise.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #9,791 of 16,309
multifilament it is. I tried to deconstruct a scrap length of 2893, cut it in half and braid the 8 resulting strands so I could see if I could make a BTG style cable but i got lost so fast. How did you learn to braid 8 strands like that? i think Ill have to end up getting 2534 and quad braid it then sleeve it in multifilament for my next cable.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #9,793 of 16,309
sorry this might be a stupid question, but I want to make a custom cable myself and I was wondering.
if I make a custom cable for a CIEM like UM/UE, where do the cables for the pins go? left ear: left and ground/ right ear: right and ground.
or a different way?

Thanks guys.

I think i found it, but I'm still not sure because it seems so strange to me that a cable wont have a ground.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/diy-cable-info-and-resources

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #9,794 of 16,309
Quote:
sorry this might be a stupid question, but I want to make a custom cable myself and I was wondering.
if I make a custom cable for a CIEM like UM/UE, where do the cables for the pins go? left ear: left and ground/ right ear: right and ground.
or a different way?

Thanks guys.

I think i found it, but I'm still not sure because it seems so strange to me that a cable wont have a ground.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/diy-cable-info-and-resources

Top pin is pin 1, bottom pin is pin 2, they connect to holes 1 and 2 respectively on the IEM.

For the correct polarity, pin 1 should be signal and pin 2 should be ground.

Above is coppied from Jaben. Seemed the simplest way to explain. There is most definately a ground - 2 in fact. One for each side.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #9,795 of 16,309
Quote:

Quote:
Top pin is pin 1, bottom pin is pin 2, they connect to holes 1 and 2 respectively on hhe IEM.

For the correct polarity, pin 1 should be signal and pin 2 should be ground.

If you think of the IEM has having a front and back, the pin to the front is negative (-) and the pin to the back is positive (+).

So when building a cable with a three-element 3.5mm or 6.5mm phone plug for a UE/Westone style connector, you will do the following.

For the right channel, the front pin would be to sleeve (-) and the back pin would be to ring (+)
For the left channel, the front pin would be to sleeve (-) and the back pin would be to tip (+) (For UE Super.Fi and Triple.Fi models, the left channel is front + (or: front->sleeve) and back - (or: back->tip) )

While ground and negative mean different thing in electronics (and OH BOY you'd better not confuse them when building an amplifier), for the purpose of building cables for speakers and headphones we get to swap around the terms somewhat recklessly since the speaker (or headphone) will usually be wired the same way.

Avoiding bridges of + and ground (or + and -, or L+ and R+, or L- and R- on a balanced stereo circuit) is a lot more important than what kind of charge half the wires have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back