DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #9,811 of 16,312

Quote:

I'm gonna be making a headphone cable for an Audez'e LCD-2

Will be using silver wire to construct the cable and the connectors on the headphone end is a mini xlr (not balanced).

So my questions are:

- Can a different conductor material be used for the ground wire? I'm thinking copper to save some $$
- Will this affect the sound at all?

Yes you can, and people believe it changes sound. If it conducts electrons, its going to work

Will it have an adverse affect on the sound?  I thought that the ground wire is totally isolated from the L/R signal wires (CMIIW)

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #9,812 of 16,312
Messing around with a sample of 550 Paracord. 
biggrin.gif

iPhone Quality Inc

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #9,815 of 16,312
Quote:
I use these, not sure if you can buy them yet. Oyaide sent me a dozen samples and said they will be releasing them soon, this was 2 weeks ago.

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/etcplug/pg755.html

Seems someone on eBay has some, not sure how, Oyaide would not sell me any at the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-Oyaide-J-3-5SR-/150852396840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231f80e728#ht_1013wt_1037

@ cogsand gears, great work as usual, Luke.

That looks sweet!

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #9,820 of 16,312
Quote:
http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/etcplug/pg755.html
That looks sweet!

Agreed, too bad Oyaide is not going with their original barrel on these new connectors.  The original barrel just looks a bit better imo.  Those look a bit more generic, but still look clean. 

Regardless it is still Oyaide, which (with Rhodium/Silver) is way better than the alternatives currently out there in regards to 1/8" mini females.  Definitely glad Oyaide is expanding to the various more specific connectors.  Been using their connectors happily since 2008.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #9,821 of 16,312
Quote:
Those of you that use hand shaped epoxy on your Apple LOD's know if one can use epoxy to fix broken or cracked plastic on headphone enclosures/cup's?

The answer is YES, check out the gallery in my signature... I LOVE EPOXY!  ...and you'll see a few headphones where I've used it to either fix them, or completely re-shape them.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #9,822 of 16,312
Wow I managed to solder an interconnect and headphone cable, using Cordial 422 + Neutrik connectors. $10 is about as much as I would care to pay for a cable. 
biggrin.gif
Better ergonomics for desktop use now..

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #9,823 of 16,312
I just bought some 26awg stranded OFC wires from BTG Audio, and made a six conductor cable ending in switchcraft 3.5mm stereo plug on one end, and some no-name 2.5mm mono plugs on the other for my heavily modded Grado SR60 and Woodied Magnum v3s, and they are fantastic!  I wanted to rewire my Fostex T50RP for dual mono entry, but that ended in tragedy (ruined my bass heavy set of Fostex can because I burned the board during resoldering ... my fault).

The wires are very flexible, easy to work with, very attractive, and extremely reasonably priced.  I have used cryo treated cables before, and to my untrained ears, have no difference in terms of SQ.  I am sure someone with golden ears may hear the difference, but for mere mortals like me, really can't tell. 

The BTG wires are different from solid core silver wire in terms of SQ, but that is to be expected.  The BTG wires are very warm, lush sounding wires, very natural and smooth, while I find the silver core to be analytical, and little cold.

I will upload pictures tonight or later in the week when I have time.  Just very excited about these things.

BTW, to give you an idea of how nice they look, they passed the spouse test, even my wife commented, unsolicited, about how nice they look.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #9,825 of 16,312
Quote:
I hate checking this thread out. Makes me want to make cables. Bad Bad Bad!

I have the exact opposite problem.  I just bought some Rean connectors to build a 1/8" to RCA cable to try out the ODAC I picked up, but I can't motivate myself to break out the soldering gear to do it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back