DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #9,826 of 16,312
Quote:
Wow I managed to solder an interconnect and headphone cable, using Cordial 422 + Neutrik connectors. $10 is about as much as I would care to pay for a cable. 
biggrin.gif
Better ergonomics for desktop use now..

Hey dude, sorry to go off topic, but, how much was that headphone stand, and where is it  from?

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #9,828 of 16,312
Quote:

Holy crap! $200 for a stand? I got my Banana holder for $20. I guess I'm cheap.....

Quote:
I just bought some 26awg stranded OFC wires from BTG Audio, and made a six conductor cable ending in switchcraft 3.5mm stereo plug on one end, and some no-name 2.5mm mono plugs on the other for my heavily modded Grado SR60 and Woodied Magnum v3s, and they are fantastic!  I wanted to rewire my Fostex T50RP for dual mono entry, but that ended in tragedy (ruined my bass heavy set of Fostex can because I burned the board during resoldering ... my fault).

The wires are very flexible, easy to work with, very attractive, and extremely reasonably priced.  I have used cryo treated cables before, and to my untrained ears, have no difference in terms of SQ.  I am sure someone with golden ears may hear the difference, but for mere mortals like me, really can't tell. 

The BTG wires are different from solid core silver wire in terms of SQ, but that is to be expected.  The BTG wires are very warm, lush sounding wires, very natural and smooth, while I find the silver core to be analytical, and little cold.

I will upload pictures tonight or later in the week when I have time.  Just very excited about these things.

BTW, to give you an idea of how nice they look, they passed the spouse test, even my wife commented, unsolicited, about how nice they look.

Haha, thanks for the mini-review. I like the last line.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #9,830 of 16,312
Quote:
Is that a uephamism for speedo's....??

No? I'm not sure what you mean.

EDIT: Oh.... Banana holder....

No it's a real thing. Go on amazon and look up "banana holder" and you will see what I'm talking about. I use a metal one to hold my Hd-25's.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #9,832 of 16,312
Quote:
No? I'm not sure what you mean.

EDIT: Oh.... Banana holder....

No it's a real thing. Go on amazon and look up "banana holder" and you will see what I'm talking about. I use a metal one to hold my Hd-25's.

Sorry, yes I know its a real thing. I was trying to make a smutty pun. I think it fell a little flat...
Quote:

Too good
biggrin.gif

... Or possibly not! :D

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #9,833 of 16,312
Aug 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #9,836 of 16,312
Quote:

I won it in an Facebook raffle, which was nice. 
biggrin.gif
Actually just few days apart from receiving my LCD-3's, how's that for a coincidence..

Good stuff! I never win anything :C  That is a very convenient turn of events...

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #9,837 of 16,312
Quote:
I just bought some 26awg stranded OFC wires from BTG Audio, and made a six conductor cable ending in switchcraft 3.5mm stereo plug on one end, and some no-name 2.5mm mono plugs on the other for my heavily modded Grado SR60 and Woodied Magnum v3s, and they are fantastic!  I wanted to rewire my Fostex T50RP for dual mono entry, but that ended in tragedy (ruined my bass heavy set of Fostex can because I burned the board during resoldering ... my fault).

The wires are very flexible, easy to work with, very attractive, and extremely reasonably priced.  I have used cryo treated cables before, and to my untrained ears, have no difference in terms of SQ.  I am sure someone with golden ears may hear the difference, but for mere mortals like me, really can't tell. 

The BTG wires are different from solid core silver wire in terms of SQ, but that is to be expected.  The BTG wires are very warm, lush sounding wires, very natural and smooth, while I find the silver core to be analytical, and little cold.

I will upload pictures tonight or later in the week when I have time.  Just very excited about these things.

BTW, to give you an idea of how nice they look, they passed the spouse test, even my wife commented, unsolicited, about how nice they look.

So I am back home, and here are the pictures of what I did with the BTG Audio wires.

The pictures don't really do the wires justice, as I am just using a BB to take these shots.  I will break out the better camera when I have time, but I am a lazy guy.

As for the comments by Kabelmeister, thank you for pointing it out, I thought all cryo treated cables are created the same, I just can't tell from my tin ears between these BTG wires and the cryo treated wires I have.  I wish there is a way to cryo treat my BTG wires for a reasonable price, and in a reasonable time frame.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #9,838 of 16,312
Quote:

So I am back home, and here are the pictures of what I did with the BTG Audio wires.

The pictures don't really do the wires justice, as I am just using a BB to take these shots.  I will break out the better camera when I have time, but I am a lazy guy.

As for the comments by Kabelmeister, thank you for pointing it out, I thought all cryo treated cables are created the same, I just can't tell from my tin ears between these BTG wires and the cryo treated wires I have.  I wish there is a way to cryo treat my BTG wires for a reasonable price, and in a reasonable time frame.

What did you use to burn that heatshrink and is that hot glue or torn heatshrink i can see at the exit of the Y split. I do like the 6 wire braid, never seen that before.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #9,839 of 16,312
Quote:
I just bought some 26awg stranded OFC wires from BTG Audio, and made a six conductor cable ending in switchcraft 3.5mm stereo plug on one end, and some no-name 2.5mm mono plugs on the other for my heavily modded Grado SR60 and Woodied Magnum v3s, and they are fantastic! 

Why did you use six conductors for this cable, are there any (technical) advantage over standard four wires per cable? Also, I see you have 5 transparent conductors (I guess these are BTG's Mogami wires) and 1 in black shield - what's that? Thanks.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #9,840 of 16,312
I used a torch to burn the heat shrink when a hair dryer is probably the better alternative.  Again, just quick and easy for me, and the left over batch is hot glue.  I am looking into getting another glue gun, but can't really justify it because all I will be doing will be making cables for myself.  I am finding excuses to make more and more cables, but wifey is starting to be suspicious why I am always soldering stuff when I already have a bunch of cables sitting around.

As for the 6 conductor, two for left, two for right, and two for ground (one ground each).  I chose six mostly for aesthetic reasons and nothing else, it's the first time I have used more than four wires in a cable.  I figured as long as there is a cable for the current to head back, the cable should be sound.

All the wires were from BTG audio, they sell both clear and black 26awg XLPE wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back