DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #9,766 of 16,305
Quote:
Here's the (semi) finished product.

This is as far as I'm taking this little project. As you can see, it pretty much shrouds the volume knob, making volume adjustments a tad difficult. For the time being

Nah, loads of room there! Fiio E11 with a straight Switchcraft terminated LOD - that makes life / volume change difficult!

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #9,768 of 16,305
Quote:

I made a similar one for my Clas rig with Switchcrafts. The rubber boots were pinched from a couple of ibasso type Hirose connectors.

I always liked that cable Nigel - very clean and neat. What wire did you use for that?

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #9,769 of 16,305
Cheers Luke, its a piece from ALO that I ordered yonks ago with my my iMod. Too thick to use for anything else really.

I have just made a few SR71B to Hirose adapters, I'll post pics in a while....

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #9,770 of 16,305
I have been using ViaBlue SC2 splitters on my past few jobs.
What other cheaper alternatives are out there for nice looking y-splitters?

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #9,772 of 16,305
I have a mogami recabled Denon D2k and I love the refinement, tamed bass and detail I got from the mogami. I think im going to recable again though, is SPC cable from navships better than mogami?

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #9,773 of 16,305
Quote:
I have a mogami recabled Denon D2k and I love the refinement, tamed bass and detail I got from the mogami. I think im going to recable again though, is SPC cable from navships better than mogami?

Navships SPC is very noisy. (before any one says microphonics, that is not the term. read the link)

So unless your not moving at all, then I don't think you should use Navships wire as it will be annoying. Besides 2893 is a great wire (assuming you used 2893). I use the same wire in all of my projects.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #9,774 of 16,305
Navships SPC is very noisy. (before any one says microphonics, that is not the term. read the link)

So unless your not moving at all, then I don't think you should use Navships wire as it will be annoying. Besides 2893 is a great wire (assuming you used 2893). I use the same wire in all of my projects.
Merriam-Webster simply defines microphonics as "noises in a loudspeaker caused by mechanical shock or vibration of the electronic components"

While it does not fit the definition of a "microphone" or "microphonic" as per Oxford or Merriam-Webster definitions, which do cite electrical responses directly, it is essentially the same thing in a mechanical sense instead. Since I am unaware of an alternate way of saying it (and I assume you do not have any better way of saying this particular noise as you simply called it noisy as well), I think we may as well call it mechanical microphonics and be done with it.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #9,775 of 16,305
Quote:
Merriam-Webster simply defines microphonics as "noises in a loudspeaker caused by mechanical shock or vibration of the electronic components"
While it does not fit the definition of a "microphone" or "microphonic" as per Oxford or Merriam-Webster definitions, which do cite electrical responses directly, it is essentially the same thing in a mechanical sense instead. Since I am unaware of an alternate way of saying it (and I assume you do not have any better way of saying this particular noise as you simply called it noisy as well), I think we may as well call it mechanical microphonics and be done with it.

Why does everyone have to argue semantics with me.....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/cochlear+microphonic

That's what Merriam told me. Here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/microphonic?show=1&t=1344068552

I simply call it cable noise.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #9,777 of 16,305
Why does everyone have to argue semantics with me.....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/cochlear+microphonic

That's what Merriam told me. Here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/microphonic?show=1&t=1344068552

I simply call it cable noise.
Well based on that, it is microphonic then. The electrical impulse (the noise) is in the ear itself at the cochlea, the mechanical impulse is in the cable which triggers the electrical response. The definition I found right before that was not for the cochlea, it was for microphonics in electronics, which did alter electrical signals. This debate can go through every possible approach to where the microphonics are occurring and what is being altered as the definitions I've been seeing seem to back up both sides of this argument, but I honestly don't see the issue in continuing to call it microphonics as it seems to have become common to do around here.

Simply put, call it what you want, since people around here associate micrphonics with cable noise and vice versa.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #9,778 of 16,305
Holy crap you're BTG? I just saw you on eBay while looking for recabling materials. I'm assuming the OFC 26 awg cable you sell is the same conductor used in Mogami 2893, am I correct?

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #9,779 of 16,305
Quote:
Holy crap you're BTG? I just saw you on eBay while looking for recabling materials. I'm assuming the OFC 26 awg cable you sell is the same conductor used in Mogami 2893, am I correct?

Don't want to get slapped on the wrist for commenting on the forums, so send me a pm or email.

Quote:
Well based on that, it is microphonic then. The electrical impulse (the noise) is in the ear itself at the cochlea, the mechanical impulse is in the cable which triggers the electrical response. The definition I found right before that was not for the cochlea, it was for microphonics in electronics, which did alter electrical signals. This debate can go through every possible approach to where the microphonics are occurring and what is being altered as the definitions I've been seeing seem to back up both sides of this argument, but I honestly don't see the issue in continuing to call it microphonics as it seems to have become common to do around here.
Simply put, call it what you want, since people around here associate micrphonics with cable noise and vice versa.

I just don't associate mechanical impulses creating mechanical waves as microphonics. It's specifically mechanical impulses creating electrical signals. I also don't get why we have to call it microphonics, when cable noise is much easier to understand in the first place. I prefer to lead people down the correct path, than try to use buzz words and marketing terms to sound like I'm some cable god who knows everything there is to know about cables.

Plain and simple, that's how I like it.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #9,780 of 16,305
Quote:
Yeah I used 2893. So 2893 is the way to go? Are there any other higher end alternatives?

You could check out Toxic Cables. They have a store on ebay that selles high quality stranded copper, SPC and silver raw cable for DIY:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/toxic*cables/m.html?hash=item19d3ef21af&item=110929846703&pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

I have used all the above mentioned cable types and they are very flexible and great quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back