DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 29, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #9,586 of 16,306
I could probably make a set, but I need to get some measurements as to thread sizes, ODs, etc. to do it all. I don't have any plugs lying around right now to measure myself and I'm not entirely sure the wood I have is best suited for turning at that size being brittle in smaller pieces like it is.

If anyone has some measurements for the critical parts I'll see what I can do with it anyway and how useable they would be without either being giant blocks or really fragile. If not, I'm sure I'll be getting more I can inspect before I use them eventually :rolleyes:

Completely unrelated question: Does anybody make a decent panel mount RCA jack with an orange insulator?

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #9,587 of 16,306
Quote:
I could probably make a set, but I need to get some measurements as to thread sizes, ODs, etc. to do it all. I don't have any plugs lying around right now to measure myself and I'm not entirely sure the wood I have is best suited for turning at that size being brittle in smaller pieces like it is.
If anyone has some measurements for the critical parts I'll see what I can do with it anyway and how useable they would be without either being giant blocks or really fragile. If not, I'm sure I'll be getting more I can inspect before I use them eventually
rolleyes.gif

Completely unrelated question: Does anybody make a decent panel mount RCA jack with an orange insulator?

You could try some hard wood. Brazil wood might be good. I made a wooden japanese samuri sword (bokken) out of it. It's also got a beautiful red to it and takes mineral oil well. Personally, if I had a lathe, I'd be churnin out brazilwood plug handles. hahaha. I know a friend of mine who makes pens out of all sorts of materials (even bullets), so I assume it's possible.

Not red, but decent quality and free shipping. Hard to beat.
http://search.daleproaudio.com/search?w=panel%20mount%20rca

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #9,588 of 16,306
Quote:
If anyone has some measurements for the critical parts I'll see what I can do with it anyway and how useable they would be without either being giant blocks or really fragile. If not, I'm sure I'll be getting more I can inspect before I use them eventually
rolleyes.gif

I'm afraid I can't help you with the RCA jack thing, but I might be interested in sending some 1/4" TRS plugs over and you can determine which one would work for a good wooden barrel.  I have been wanting to re-cable my headphones that have shedua cups and have been considering trying to get a matching wood barrel on a TRS connector.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #9,589 of 16,306
I have a source for plenty of wood, but no sheuda as far as I know. I could probably try them out for you, but none of the wood I have or have access to would match it. If you want me to try it with what I have or have access to some sheuda yourself, PM me and I'll try to figure out what I can do there. It's still questionable right now for multiple reasons, I don't have any way to test it myself at the moment though.

I know a lot of things are easily done like this with a smaller lathe than what I have (pens in particular), I can get tons of pen blanks if they'll work though I'm not sure they will. I doubt it would cause too much trouble, it will probably just take a bit longer to be sure everything stays solid enough to avoid ruining it.

Anyway, if you're genuinely interested, PM me and I'll see if there's anything I can do. Let's get back to actual cables and pictures here though.

And thanks Pingu, looks like a good source. I'll probably just throw them in my order at Mouser if I go with those though, no real difference in pricing when I'm already paying shipping. Looking for orange for a DAC since that's still the proper color code as far as I know, though a lot seem to just use yellow or black now.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #9,591 of 16,306
I recabled my Denon AH-D5000 (Lawton Audio-modded) this weekend with Double Helix nucleotide wire and Viablue 3.5mm (small barrel) plug and Y-splitter.

I wanted a shorter cable than original 10ft stock. This turned out a bit shorter than expected, but still long enough for my office needs.

I've detailed the step-by-step in this thread.

While I have no problems with the Y-splitter, the Viablue 3.5mm plug was a HUGE pain, especially compared to the Switchcraft plugs I've worked with recently. The Viablue does look good and match, though...

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #9,593 of 16,306

I need a min-mini interconnect cable. So I made it with extra parts.
I braided 8 strands of 24AWG solid SP-OFC wire with teflon insulation.
It consists of 3 red(R), 3 white(L) and 2 clear(ground) and CC 3.5mm plugs, which have good design but poor quality...
I satisfied with its sound.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #9,598 of 16,306
Work in progress Toxic Cables silver IEM cable - still awaiting a jack plug to arrive from Lunashops... Edit - Still waiting. Been over 30 days now...

Click for slightly larger pictures :D

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #9,600 of 16,306
Quote:

Been a while since my first cable here is my second attempt with more boutique connectors, stuck with kimber tccs varistrand for the wire and sheathing was bought from china via ebay 

Nice work. I have never used a Viablue plug, but they look pretty good in the flesh. Look like they would be a pain to solder though.

I think I got some sleeving from the same seller. Mine was black and a goldy straw type mix of colours. Sort of looks like carbon / kevlar weave if you keep telling yourself that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back