DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #6,961 of 16,306

Quote:
Here's a right angle iPod to Solo cable i just finished making, 2 of the wires are made of pure stranded silver and the other 2 are 24k gold plated pure stranded silver.

Wow, what would you have to have $

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #6,962 of 16,306
My first LOD cable
biggrin.gif

Thanks to Parrots for the guide!

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #6,963 of 16,306

Quote:
Just finished making my 6ft Piccolino cable and all i can say is OMG! This cable just sounds amazing, i know people say this all the time but i'm actually hearing things in the music i've never heard before even with my TWag V2 or Alo cables, if any of you guys have the HD800'S you seriously owe it to youself to try to somehow get to listen to it with the Piccolino cable.

How much of an improvement are the Piccolino over Cardas cable for the HD800's?

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #6,966 of 16,306

Quote:

I've never tried the Cardas cable's, are they better then the TWag V2 and the Alo 18 gauge or the hardwired $1550 Stefan AudioArt Voice cable because the Piccolino without even any burn in floors all of those.

I don't know never tried them, was recently godsmacked by the improvement a mates recent purchased Cardas cables for his HD800 over the stock cables, so just wondering how the other contenders fare up against the Cardas cables.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #6,967 of 16,306

Quote:
Very nice, first time ive seen someone use one of those for a right angle dock and glad my LOD guide was a help to you.
Here's a ultra low profile Piccolino LOD i made last night with gold plated dock connector.

That's just too crazy! I will probably give that a shot.

I went with the larger LOD connector for my first try but I'll eventually get the low profile connectors to play with. I also like to show off the wire braid
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6,968 of 16,306
Sony MDR-V6:

Longest I ever spent on a pair of phones, lots of measuring, double checking, triple checking etc as well as reaming, drilling and finessing parts into place. That threaded plug was a challenge as well, had to figure out a way to ad some cable relief. I just ended up filling a Neutrik barrel with epoxy.

Brendan

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #6,971 of 16,306

Quote:
Sony MDR-V6:

Longest I ever spent on a pair of phones, lots of measuring, double checking, triple checking etc as well as reaming, drilling and finessing parts into place. That threaded plug was a challenge as well, had to figure out a way to ad some cable relief. I just ended up filling a Neutrik barrel with epoxy.

Brendan

What a terrific job, I love that headphone and the only con is the lenghty cable, havent found a better bang for the buck in that price range. your work on it makes me want to retake mines and do the same, you even recabled the part from cup - headband - cup!

kudos!

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #6,972 of 16,306

Quote:
Sony MDR-V6:

Brendan

Very nice work Brendan,

I have been itching to recable my V6 too but it would be a such as waste of the existing one. I wish the wear/tear process came quicker!

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #6,974 of 16,306
My first nylon sleeved 3.5mm IC's

Length: 90cm
Cable: 6 OD, White Heavy Duty Microphone, 2 core + shield, cotton + rubber insulation
Connector: Switchcraft 3.5mm
Sleeve: 6mm Stretch Nylon UV Blue

Length: 25cm
Cable: 6 OD, White Heavy Duty Microphone, 2 core + shield, cotton + rubber insulation
Connector: Switchcraft 3.5mm

Length: 13cm
Cable: 4 OD, Black Microphone, 2 core + shield
Connector: Neutrik Rean 3.5mm

Plugged into my M50:

My first time using Switchcraft, and I love them! I have only worked with Neutrik Rean in the past, which are slightly easier to work with, but much harder to re-use, the Switchcrafts are beasts and will take much more of a beating than the Neutriks, I have also found the connection with the male Switchcrafts to females A LOT stronger than the Neutriks, despite the size of it, it still connects into my Galaxy S with the Otterbox case on, with ease!

Initially I found the Switchcrafts a nightmare to work with, as the solder joints kept crossing over after screwing the cap on, had to fiddle around with electrical tape. In the end I removed the plastic tubing and snapped off an excess piece of metal, which solved the problem. This was more of a problem due to the 6 OD cable on top of the sleeving and tubing.

The nylon greatly improved the strength of the cables and I think it looks rather cool and unique. I had a very difficult time getting the Neutriks caps onto the cable with the sleeving on as the hole was so tiny!

Tomorrow I will be putting some clear heat shrink over the bottom of the plugs and cables when it comes through the post tomorrow, fingers crossed!

From here on I think I will be buying Switchcraft connectors only, just wish they were easier to work with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back