DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #4,966 of 16,305
oh yeah , now you say it. Looking at the mini, I thought it were just 4 cables (2 times ground, 1 for each channel).
But Is the site ok to work on? Can I just follow that? And What about those pictures, are left negative and right negative the grounds?

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4,967 of 16,305
you can use any of the 4 wires for any purpose as long as 2 are ground 2 are + and you solder the plugs correct
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #4,969 of 16,305
'Bout time for some pictures in this thread!

First up a short mini to RCA:
fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4371-vampire-rhodium-nucleotide-top.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4372-vampire-rhodium-nucleotide.jpg

4 wire round litz braid with Nucleotide wire
Neutrik right angle mini
non-branded Vampire custom rhodium plated brass RCA's
nylon multifilament

I absolutely love the RCA's, which I got as a sample when I was fortunate to visit Vampire Wire. They were originally custom made for a company that is unfortunately out of business. I would get more, but Vampire has stopped answering my emails
frown.gif
And I think most people knew this, but rhodium is a bitch to solder too. Use lots of flux!

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #4,970 of 16,305
You want more? Ok!

My first Senn cable for my HD650:
fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4378-hd650-cable-nucleotide.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4379-hd650-cable-nucleotide-connectors.jpg

4x5' in a starquad of Nucleotide wire
custom doublehelix cables 1/4" plug
Cardas rhodium plated connectors
nylon multifilament
various heatshrink

Used scootermafia's guide to the plugs and got them nicely done on the first try! The 1/4" plug is a very nice, light and easy to work with gold plated brass with a sweet anodized aluminum body. I did something new (for me) with the Y split: I used some 3:1 thick walled adhesive heatshrink around the Y, which becomes really thick and hard once it cools down. Then some normal 3:1 heatshrink that I use everywhere else. Turned out nice and unobtrusive. Although I really love the 4 wire round litz braid, I went with a starquad this time to try a "better" way of rejecting interference. Twisted each channel with its ground and then twisted those two together. Have no idea if it made an audible difference, but it does make the cable more compact. No sexy lumps though.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #4,971 of 16,305
Still not satisfied? Well, then how about some GOLD (well, 1% at least)?

Mundorf mini to mini:
fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4376-mundorf-mini-mini.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4377-mundorf-mini-mini-close.jpg

4x6" of 24awg mundorf 99% silver/1% gold wire in 20awg teflon tubing
black and nickel neutrik minis

It was a pain to put the mundorf in the tubing and to get it to stay where I wanted. Outside of that, a nice and easy mini that sounds great! The mundorf in the ghostly teflon tubing looks spectacular to me and has a real gleam to it that I couldn't capture with the camera. A really striking wire.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #4,972 of 16,305
You want more mundorf? Well, I aim to please!

The over-the-top mundorf mini to RCA:
fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4373-mundorf-double-twist.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4374-mundorf-double-twist-close.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4375-mundorf-double-twist-close-twist.jpg

2x(2x4') 24awg mundorf 99%silver/1%gold wire in 20awg teflon tubing in twisted pairs
Vandingold (Vampire rebrand) gold plated brass RCA's
lab grade pvc tubing
Yarbo dark chrome mini

This was a HUGE pain to make, but I am pleased as pie with the end result. I got about half way done stuffing my twisted wire into the PVC before it would get stuck from friction (kink!) Had to use a very thin coating of mineral oil to get it to go all the way in. Once done, the rest was as simple as making a normal RCA to mini. The Yarbo mini is by far my favorite one used. It is nice quality, is really big, and has nice solder tabs (the internal layout is nearly identical to the Cryo-parts chrome mini). The RCA's were another sample from Vampire Wire that was from a batch made for a company no longer in existance. Really heavy, quality plug. A cut above everything else I have used, even the rhodium one (which I simply like the looks of better). I believe it is a rebranded 808 RCA. This was really fun one one to make. It's the kind of out of the ordinary thing I envisioned working my way up to. It also uses the "nicest" materials I have had the chance to work with. Sounds great, as do all the cables I have made.

And that is all until the next binge!

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #4,973 of 16,305
Hah! I lied. I forgot about the "beefcake"

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4381-beefcake-vampire-mini.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4380-beefcake-vampire-mini-label.jpg

8" of Vampire Wire SCIV
Yarbo mini's

Construction of this one isn't anything special, I was just tickled by how thick this sucker is. The 8mm wire just barely fit into the Yarbo's, which have one of the biggest openings of any mini. The cable itself is super robust with thick dialectric and shielding. Very nice cable. Works nicely on my desk connecting the Total Bithead to my Bravo amp, but can't use it properly with my Clip as it lifts the Clip off the desk. Very nice dark blurple color to the jacket. Looks better in person than it does in the picture.

And really, that is all for a while.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #4,975 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

I have never made a lod before so I can't help you with that part. The wire looks pretty nice, especially the PE dialectric, just be careful soldering, as PE melts pretty quickly unlike teflon. If I did the conversion right, the price is decent for silver wire. You can go on ebay to find OCC silver for really cheap if you time it right on the auctions. You can also check Homegrownaudio.com for their prices to compare. And if you are going fancy, go fancy all the way! Get some cool RCA's! Homegrownaudio.com has some sweet ones, as does Vampirewire.com. Also, if you want Cardas like the ALO cable you are trying to mimic, hndme.com has very nice prices. Good luck, and post your results.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #4,976 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

For rca plugs, they are slightly special.
For their left plug, they will have the left channel and the ground channel.
For their right plug, they will have the right channel and the left channel.

So its like this.
dock pin 1(or 2) link to left plug ground and to right plug ground.
dock pin 3 link to right plug right
dock pin 4 link to left plug left.
So 4 wires exiting your dock, and 2 wires exiting each of your rca plugs.

Hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #4,977 of 16,305
Low profile Mogami LOD w 47uf Black Gates caps
IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Low profile Mogami IC
IMG_0401.jpg

When used with my rig (The low profile lod in the pic is before the BG caps was added)
Mundorf DiyMod 5.5gen 80gb > Low profile Mogami LOD/ALO SxC LOD > Diy 4.7uf Sonicaps > Low profile Mogami IC > RSA Predator amp/dac > Sleek SA6
IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #4,979 of 16,305

Here is a male XLR split into two female XLR to combine the right and left channels on my mixer because I only use one speaker. I had to cut half of the male's Neutrik plug's plastic tubing to accommodate the massive six wire braid. It was a hell of a difficult job, but the end result had put a smile on my face!

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #4,980 of 16,305
Btw guys, where can I order cables, connectors, sleeves, plugs etc... from? Since I am living in lebanon, sourcing parts is really hard for me to do, so I need to order a whole bunch of components to start building some high grade cables. I'm tired of using ethernet wire and speaker cables to make cables. Anyone know where to order from?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back