DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #4,996 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starquad doesn't add anything to noise rejection, if anything it hurts with respect to crosstalk. As long as you use some form of drain (like the shielding in mogami cable) you will eliminate most external noise.

Actually starquad does help with regard to external noise.

It effectively decreases the loop area and subsequently the cable's inductance. The lower a cable's inductance, the less the magnetic field that it radiates and vice versa, the less susceptible it will be to external magnetic fields.

Electrostatic shielding doesn't help much with regard to magnetic field interference. The permeability of copper is about the same as that of air so in order for it to be effective at magnetic field shielding, it must be rather thick.

se

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4,997 of 16,307
mine are better

img8140o.jpg

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #5,002 of 16,307
I guess seeing as I have no intention of ever making another pair of these there shouldn't be any problem with my posting them here.

This is a pair of single-ended ACSS cables which employ passive I/V for use with regular analog inputs.

The cable uses three lengths of ultra fine Type 2 litz wire (165 strands of 46 gauge for a composite gauge of 24). Each was covered with black cotton braid and the three braided together.

RCA's are Switchcraft 3502AAU's and the I/V resistors are a pair of 500 ohm Vishay/Dale RN55C's built into the RCA ends. The back shells on the RCA's are custom made from XX grade Garolite, a paper/phenolic laminate.

acss2.jpg

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #5,003 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess seeing as I have no intention of ever making another pair of these there shouldn't be any problem with my posting them here.

This is a pair of single-ended ACSS cables which employ passive I/V for use with regular analog inputs.

The cable uses three lengths of ultra fine Type 2 litz wire (165 strands of 46 gauge for a composite gauge of 24). Each was covered with black cotton braid and the three braided together.

RCA's are Switchcraft 3502AAU's and the I/V resistors are a pair of 500 ohm Vishay/Dale RN55C's built into the RCA ends. The back shells on the RCA's are custom made from XX grade Garolite, a paper/phenolic laminate.

Wow, this is definitely one of the most beautiful cables I've ever seen.

Where's the shielding?
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #5,004 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What cable size do you guys recommend for general DIY interconnects and earphone re-cabling?

24awg seems to be a perfect do-it-all size for everything. Interconnects and headphones don't need big wires. Only speaker cables really. But even then, you could use multiple strands of 24awg until you get the equivalent gauge you wanted.

And Koyaan I Sqatsi, those look beautiful. I like the look of cotton with the wood like color of your custom housing. A brown cotton would make them super retro cool.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #5,005 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this is definitely one of the most beautiful cables I've ever seen.

Thank you. Er, I think. My sarcasm detector's at the cleaners so not entirely sure.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Where's the shielding?
biggrin.gif

It's off somewhere busy being overrated.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Koyaan I Sqatsi, those look beautiful.

Thanks!

Quote:

I like the look of cotton with the wood like color of your custom housing. A brown cotton would make them super retro cool.

Yeah. Brown is what I use on my interconnects, but I didn't have any of the small braid in brown on hand so went with black, which still looks pretty good.

By the way, just got off the phone with my braiders and they received your Mogami and said they shouldn't have any problem duplicating that pattern.

se

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #5,006 of 16,307
Quote:

By the way, just got off the phone with my braiders and they received your Mogami and said they shouldn't have any problem duplicating that pattern.

se

Fantastic! I can't wait to see how it ends up looking. I might have to up my budget and get some nifty connectors to go with it. Thanks again.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #5,007 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic! I can't wait to see how it ends up looking. I might have to up my budget and get some nifty connectors to go with it. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Hoping they'll be able to get it done this week.

se

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #5,008 of 16,307
Quote:

Thank you. Er, I think. My sarcasm detector's at the cleaners so not entirely sure.
atsmile.gif

Haha, it's a legitimate compliment. Very purrty
biggrin.gif

By the way, how do you solder your litz wires? I just gob a bit (or a lot...) of solder at the end of my iron and burn off the insulation while tinning the ends at the same time. Should I assume that you're using a [fancy] solder pot?

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #5,009 of 16,307
Quote:

I can't find the jaw dropping smiley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back