DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #4,982 of 16,305
I'm sure if you make a post with a list you could pay some head-fier to buy them and ship them to you. I would but I'm not going to be in town for the next 3 months sorry.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4,983 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose you could order from Redco or Markertek... Order in bulk though, because shipping will kill you.

I second Redco.com, their prices are good, great selection for cables, ok for connectors, but their shipping is very fair. For heatshrink (heatshrinktubing1)and coverings (furryletters), you could also consider ebay if that is more economical for shipping.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #4,984 of 16,305
Ask Markertek about international shipping cost two days ago and they didn't answered yet. I hope it's weekends...

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4,985 of 16,305
Here are some short RCA jumper cables with some "custom" connectors:

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4432-carbonfiber-jumpers.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4433-carbonfiber-jumpers-close.jpg

2x6" Mogami W2983
nylon multifilament
"custom" carbonfiber Neutrik RCA's

Because I can't afford a set of the carbon fiber Furutech's that captured my cable heart a couple months ago ($250 for a set of four!), I tried to capture the aesthetic essence for fun. I got some samples of carbon fiber vinyl from metrodecals.com and slapped them on my $1 Neutriks. At a quick glance, they look awesome. At a close glance, you can tell I need a cutting board and a steady hand. This isn't close to their best looking carbon fiber, but it is the one that had the most contrast in elements so they catch the eye quicker. I have some samples of some 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl on the way, which is supposed to be the best on the market. Samples are only $1 (and enough for at least two connectors), so are a very cheap and easy way to add an interesting visual element to cheap connectors. Cheers!

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #4,986 of 16,305
FraGGler,
Why 2893 but not 2534? Two wire for + and two for gnd?

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #4,987 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3am /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FraGGler,
Why 2893 but not 2534? Two wire for + and two for gnd?

Both are starquads, but the 2893 is thinner and more flexible (which I like). Plus the 2893's conductors are all different colors making it much simpler to keep track of what goes where. And yes, 2 wires for signal, 2 wires for ground.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #4,989 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are starquads, but the 2893 is thinner and more flexible (which I like). Plus the 2893's conductors are all different colors making it much simpler to keep track of what goes where. And yes, 2 wires for signal, 2 wires for ground.

Sorry, I thought about W2549
w2549.jpg

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4,990 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Redco does not sell silver plated copper wires like the ones seen in this thread. You know the crystal wires or whatever it's called. Where can i get those from?

Navships on ebay is where a lot of people get their silver plated copper. Good prices, some pretty good variety and the good news is that he ships worldwide.

As for the crystal wires, I am not sure what you are referring to. I used some Cooner wire that was silver plated copper in a clear silicone dialectric for a headphone recable, is that what you were referring to? If so, that was gotten from Headfier Koyaan I Sqatsi. You can PM him if that is what you are interested in.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #4,991 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3am /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I thought about W2549
w2549.jpg

I see. I use the starquad because it is the most versatile, as you can make headphone cables, mini to RCA's, or straight RCA's because of the four conductors. Also, supposedly the starquad configuration gives it better noise rejecting capabilities over a normal twist of 2 conductors.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #4,992 of 16,305
Quote:

Also, supposedly the starquad configuration gives it better noise rejecting capabilities over a normal twist of 2 conductors.

And higher capacity
ph34r.gif

Ok ok, thanks for comments. I also want to order some quadstar at Markertek if they will not surprise me with shipping price over 50$...

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #4,993 of 16,305
Starquad doesn't add anything to noise rejection, if anything it hurts with respect to crosstalk. As long as you use some form of drain (like the shielding in mogami cable) you will eliminate most external noise. But becareful running more than one channel in a starquad cable (eg running the left and right) as it will result in cross talk.

Additionally, I caution folks from using spc because it produces a lot of the misconceptions regarding silver. Try it for yourself, get some HGA silver and compare it to spc. There's a pretty big difference between spc and silver, if you guys find a cheaper source (but still good quality) for silver, please let me know, HGA can drain your wallet quickly when making big cables for speakers and 9 strand or 12 strand Interconnects.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #4,994 of 16,305
I am not good with all the terminology (still), but wasn't the starquad geometry designed to increase the signal to noise ratio over a standard 2 conductor? That is how it is advertised at least. Also, what do you use for things terminated in a TRS? Two channel wire with the shield as ground for both?

I have some OCC silver that I got at a reasonable price on ebay that I am about to make some headphone cables and a mini to mini out of. I will be interested to see if I hear any differences between it and some OCC copper, and some SPC. So far, I actually am having a hard time telling if I can hear any difference between mogami, nucleotide OCC copper, and navships SPC.

Hndme.com has silver at a good price, as does vt4c.com (although I am not sure about shipping from here). If you get lucky on an auction, you can get OCC silver from tzeng_albert on ebay for a reasonable price, although you will need to buy some teflon tubing for it since it comes bare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starquad doesn't add anything to noise rejection, if anything it hurts with respect to crosstalk. As long as you use some form of drain (like the shielding in mogami cable) you will eliminate most external noise. But becareful running more than one channel in a starquad cable (eg running the left and right) as it will result in cross talk.

Additionally, I caution folks from using spc because it produces a lot of the misconceptions regarding silver. Try it for yourself, get some HGA silver and compare it to spc. There's a pretty big difference between spc and silver, if you guys find a cheaper source (but still good quality) for silver, please let me know, HGA can drain your wallet quickly when making big cables for speakers and 9 strand or 12 strand Interconnects.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #4,995 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Starquad actually does have increased noise rejection at the expense of increased capacitance (and crosstalk if you run more than 1 channel through it). Also, using a drain results in you essentially attaching an antenna to your cable, a shielded wire without using the shield as a drain results in less noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back