DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #4,936 of 16,305
I use a Wagner heat gun ( the kind you pick in the paint isle of hope depot) best investment I have purchased for making cables. You can still over heat techflex but heath shrink comes out perfect and tight every time.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #4,937 of 16,305
latest iPod LOD... Canare L4E6S, Ridax connector, Neutrik 3.5mm goldplated plug, WBT soldered, Touch/Phone compatible...

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #4,938 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaninugraha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
latest iPod LOD... Canare L4E6S, Ridax connector, Neutrik 3.5mm goldplated plug, WBT soldered, Touch/Phone compatible...

Too bad Canare isn't red and white. That would have been a great candy cane lod.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #4,940 of 16,305
Here are pics of a DIY LOD that I made by ripping an old cheap LOD i bought, keeping the dock part only, braiding some ethernet wires together and soldering them to an RS gold series 1/8 inch plug. Very satisfied with the build as it is my first DIY LOD. Thanks goes to Punnisher for having posted the HowTo: Build an Ultra-Slim LOD Cable thread. I do have a small question though, how come the LOD I built doesn't work with the Iphone 3G? I haven't tried it on any other version of the Iphone, but like is there an additional step that I must undertake in order to make it work with the Iphone? Not that I need it to, it's just that I'm curious as to why It only worked with my Ipod?

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #4,941 of 16,305
If I recall correctly the Iphone dock connector is different from the standard LOD (eg the classic ipods). It involves shorting and a resistor.

EDIT: this is what I found
Quote:

Pin 11 should have a 1K resistor between it and pin 21, and also a jumper wire from pin 11's end of the resistor to Pin 30 of the dock. I've been using this for awhile and it works fine.

I don't now if this is entirely correct, I just quickly googled it.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4,943 of 16,305
Thanks for your reply, I had found the same information right after asking the question here. The stupid dock I ripped apart had a resistor, but I removed it because it wasn't part of the tutorial, but that's alright because i will only be using it with my ipod. So what do you think about my first LOD build?

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #4,944 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply, I had found the same information right after asking the question here. The stupid dock I ripped apart had a resistor, but I removed it because it wasn't part of the tutorial, but that's alright because i will only be using it with my ipod. So what do you think about my first LOD build?

Looks nice- order some high quality components for your next build, and you'll be really satisfied, I think. Though being in Lebanon, sourcing parts could be a pain
frown.gif

EDIT: My favorite cable build I've done was when I went all-out and purchased all the doodads and addons. Well, except for the cable, no way in hell I'm paying $5/ft for any sort of cable.

RpXF3l.jpg

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #4,945 of 16,305
Quote:

Looks nice- order some high quality components for your next build, and you'll be really satisfied, I think. Though being in Lebanon, sourcing parts could be a pain

I focus more on the aesthetics of the cable with the available materials, because i personally cannot tell the difference between a DIY cable and a really high end cable. I believe that cables are the last components that will bottleneck your audio setup, so saving up on cables and spending more on audio components is more what i'm into. Thanks for realizing that sourcing could be a pain in Lebanon considering most of the people here probably don't even know were Lebanon is!

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #4,947 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I focus more on the aesthetics of the cable with the available materials, because i personally cannot tell the difference between a DIY cable and a really high end cable. I believe that cables are the last components that will bottleneck your audio setup, so saving up on cables and spending more on audio components is more what i'm into. Thanks for realizing that sourcing could be a pain in Lebanon considering most of the people here probably don't even know were Lebanon is!

It's a good thing to post your location in your profile.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back