DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 15, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #15,646 of 16,305
Right now I am just looking for cabling. My choices seem to be either a cable with four conductors inside a plastic shielding that i can use a PET sleeve over, or, get individual conductor wires, and sleeve over the group of however many I need, but I am not sure if the PET will get a good clamp on all of that.

May 15, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #15,647 of 16,305
Home Brew with magnet wire one was 26g and in green, the others were 30g, cotton and or teflon and tech flex. 2.5mm connectors from sennheiser and 3.5mm from neutrix/rean. Each of the six cables has 2 conductors and a 2.5mm jack on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other.

One cable had crossed connectors, one a twist with teflon between the conductors and one had parallel with cotton inbetween all wrapped in teflon tape (as parallel as possible):

38777CDD-7D06-4574-B39E-E1E513848D2D.jpeg
B44CB972-3B3E-41AA-9A32-3716587CDCBE.jpeg
image.jpg
0DF22C29-9653-41DD-BA3A-4AA3D3E39EC6.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #15,650 of 16,305
Could someone please tell me what I would need to do to get the twist like this in the main cable, I have tried to contact the original poster but have had no reply, apologies if
I have offended by using the photo and if so I will remove it straight away, anyway I would really like to make a cable like this but am not sure how to do the single wire twist before
the Y. Any explanation is very helpful, thank you.

iem.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #15,651 of 16,305
My second replacement cable I have made, my first from scratch. For Sennheiser HD650.. Silver Plated Copper PTFE 24AWG. 4 cables per side. Silver Solder. Not sure if I should have covered it in cord though? Didn't feel like hiding the pattern. Wire and Parts are from oidiosound.co.uk

I decided to cover the cable above in paracord as it wanted it to last and to see if i could improve to microphonics. It did somewhat and the cable could be referred as pretty vivid now too.. :)

IMG_3911.jpeg

Here are some of the other cables I have made in the last month, the connections might seem a little weird but they were made that way on purpose.

IMG_3908.jpg IMG_3909.jpg
IMG_3910.jpg IMG_3912.jpg

May 21, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #15,653 of 16,305
Could someone please tell me what I would need to do to get the twist like this in the main cable, I have tried to contact the original poster but have had no reply, apologies if
I have offended by using the photo and if so I will remove it straight away, anyway I would really like to make a cable like this but am not sure how to do the single wire twist before

He probably just twisted that part by hand and "locked" both ends (with tape for example) and then used clear shrink tube over it, which shrunken holds twisted cable in place.

May 21, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #15,655 of 16,305

its pretty easy to get a decent twist with a drill. Tie the conductors around something like a door knob or clamp in a vice and tie the other end around a drill bit or depending on the size just put the bunch straight in the drill and tighten. Pull so there is some tension. Then let her rip! You could use a hand drill if you want to control the twist more if doing additional cable. I do this with 30g magwire and it works, so normal wire should be no problem.

May 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #15,656 of 16,305

Looking at this closer, I would twist 2 wires together and then repeat. So you have 2 sets of 2 twisted wires. Then put the 2 sets together and twist them. Then untwist the 2 big sets after the Y

May 25, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #15,657 of 16,305
Looking at this closer, I would twist 2 wires together and then repeat. So you have 2 sets of 2 twisted wires. Then put the 2 sets together and twist them. Then untwist the 2 big sets after the Y
Thank you, I've sort of managed to do this but now I'm not sure what to use for the clear jacket, I'm thinking clear pe heatshrink as I'm not sure whether teflomn would be too stiff.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #15,659 of 16,305
Latest build for a friend, you know your weave is right when your lengths always end up the same when you are done.

IMG_20190602_140458.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back