Difference between Etymotic Models?
Oct 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zhouf

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've been a long-time reader, but a first time poster.
I've read alot about Shures, Grados, Klipsch... but I feel like I know almost nothing about the etys. Can someone specify the differences between the different models of Etymotic iems? It seems like the ER-4P is the flagship model... but I heard it was pretty neutral and not very "fun" to listen to.

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 17
All the Etymotic models are actually engineered to sound somewhat similar, as the founder of Etymotic is an audiologist who has tried to deliver what he has researched to be an accurate sound response to the average ear - all the models are deisgned to sound neutral rather than fun. At least that was the marketing says, but they have a very long pedigree in the market, and (I think?) were the first to actually popularise the idea of having in-ear's for non-professional use.

I haven't heard any of the models except the MC3/5, but I can tell you the technical differences:

The ER-4S is actually the flagship model, a single balanced armature with a very high impedance designed to be used with an amp. It's been around for ages but still gets plenty of respect around here. The ER-4P is the same as the ER-4S, but with a lower impedance. Apparently it doesn't have quite the same amazing clarity as the ER-4S does. The ER-4B is a bit of a weird one - as I understand it is the ER-4S but tuned so that there isn't a frequency dip around 10khz or something... something very specific to do with music mastering. I'm sure someone else could tell you about it.

The HF-5 /HF3 actually uses the same drivers as the ER-4's just in a different housing. Unlike the ER-4's, where  each individual earphone is hand matched so that there is a balance between both left/right channels, the HF5's don't have that kind of quality control and thats why they are cheaper. Mind you, most manufacturers don't hand match, so this is no strike against the HF5's. If you ask Bennyboy around here, he will tell you how much he loves them.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MC5's/MC3's are the new models Ety developed with dynamic drivers rather than balanced armatures, so that they could get the same sound at a cheaper price point. I can tell you that the MC3's are built fantastically, have a transparent sound which while it might not be fun, it is startlingly refreshing. They are great value and offer amazing sound isolation like the rest of the Etymotic line.

The signature aspects of the Etymotic can probably be summed up as, technical, neutral sounding earphones with class-leading noise isolation.

Anyway, thats as much as I've been able to gather.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, welcome to Head-fi!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Can't really add to that very well-worded summary, beyond saying:

1) The ER4B was the first in-ear Ety produced, specifically for binaural recordings and following comments from users that it was too shrill, the ER4P and ER4S were developed to cater more for the casual portable market.

2) The HF5/HF2 represent, in my humble opinion, the best value for money iems out there from a sound, build and isolation perspective.  I actually prefer my HF5s to the ER4Ps I used to have.  I also used to own the P to S convertor and preferred the ER4S over the P when paired with my amps.  But the amps were sold a while ago due to size and weight and a realisation that I was becoming far too mired in the quicksand of audiophilia.  Sometimes, simplicity is good.

Quote:
All the Etymotic models are actually engineered to sound somewhat similar, as the founder of Etymotic is an audiologist who has tried to deliver what he has researched to be an accurate sound response to the average ear - all the models are deisgned to sound neutral rather than fun. At least that was the marketing says, but they have a very long pedigree in the market, and (I think?) were the first to actually popularise the idea of having in-ear's for non-professional use.

I haven't heard any of the models except the MC3/5, but I can tell you the technical differences:

The ER-4S is actually the flagship model, a single balanced armature with a very high impedance designed to be used with an amp. It's been around for ages but still gets plenty of respect around here. The ER-4P is the same as the ER-4S, but with a lower impedance. Apparently it doesn't have quite the same amazing clarity as the ER-4S does. The ER-4B is a bit of a weird one - as I understand it is the ER-4S but tuned so that there isn't a frequency dip around 10khz or something... something very specific to do with music mastering. I'm sure someone else could tell you about it.

The HF-5 /HF3 actually uses the same drivers as the ER-4's just in a different housing. Unlike the ER-4's, where  each individual earphone is hand matched so that there is a balance between both left/right channels, the HF5's don't have that kind of quality control and thats why they are cheaper. Mind you, most manufacturers don't hand match, so this is no strike against the HF5's. If you ask Bennyboy around here, he will tell you how much he loves them.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MC5's/MC3's are the new models Ety developed with dynamic drivers rather than balanced armatures, so that they could get the same sound at a cheaper price point. I can tell you that the MC3's are built fantastically, have a transparent sound which while it might not be fun, it is startlingly refreshing. They are great value and offer amazing sound isolation like the rest of the Etymotic line.

The signature aspects of the Etymotic can probably be summed up as, technical, neutral sounding earphones with class-leading noise isolation.

Anyway, thats as much as I've been able to gather.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, welcome to Head-fi!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 17
Do note, 'fun' can describe both an emotional status (opposite of bore) or an sound signature (musical, warm, energetic / lively), but not necessarily both together. You can still listen to a fun sounding IEM yet get bored by that particular sound if it is not your cup of tea. So whether a neutral sounding IEM (like an Etymotic) can make you enjoy your music or not is really more about your taste of listening.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 17
HF5s and 4Ps are diffrent impedences and effeciencies so different drivers but of course of similar design.. It's true they aren't pair matched as well as 4Ps but there's more to it. HF5s are less sibilant but also slightly less crisp in the mids. Like Benny, I would go with HF5s for daily use. Best I've heard in it's range but many will want more bottom and I haven't heard the DBA-02

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 17
I find a wee EQ tweak easily provides enough bass for my tastes with the HF5.

Quote:
HF5s and 4Ps are diffrent impedences and effeciencies so different drivers but of course of similar design.. It's true they aren't pair matched as well as 4Ps but there's more to it. HF5s are less sibilant but also slightly less crisp in the mids. Like Benny, I would go with HF5s for daily use. Best I've heard in it's range but many will want more bottom and I haven't heard the DBA-02

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 17
physically, they're the same exact drivers. They're just tweaked differently. Plus, I believe the HF5's are mass assembled in China, whereas the er4's are hand-built in Illinois; another reason for the price difference. Personally, the HF5's are more comfortable, but the er4's are more durable & sound better to my ears, but not by much. 

The MC5's are interesting indeed. The chord & build quality seems the same as the hf5's, but they include a cheaper quality carrying case. SQ-wise, it's VERY good, especially in the treble & bass dept. Mids seem a little veiled in comparison to the er4 & hf5. Also, there is noticeably less control w/ heavy instrumentation, but it's a very good value for 79. 

Overall, I've NEVER heard a bad ety. Much more than I can say for 99% of iem producers out there. 

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've recently retired a pair of Shure SE115's (a little too dark and muddy IMO), and I've just been looking for some new iems. I'm leaning towards the HF3, just because it has a mic and I'm hoping to use this with an iPhone... If I go for the HF3, do you think I'll need an amp, or do you think the phones will sound good as is (Bennyboy, this is a question specifically for you)?

a_recording, I appreciate your valuable insight, and I'll probably be settling for the HF3's in all likelihood. Does anyone have other phones around the same pricepoint they would recommend? I'm just looking for a pair of solid iems that'll get me past the next few years... Hopefully something neutral? (I was looking at the DBA-02's but I couldn't find anyone who sold it).

Thanks!

Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 17
^Zhouf, not sure if you are aware of this or not but as far as portable usage goes, if you get an amp the mic/music controls on the iPhone won't work anymore. Believe me, having the music controls on the iPhone is awesome - besides just the clicker, on the new ones you get voice control of music playback, so you can actually command it to play specific albums or artists with your voice! (That is truly awesome.) I've never heard anyone complain about the HF5's being hard to drive with the iPhone headphone out, but the MC5's are a little different.

If you do want that mic, there's nothing around that price point to really go for. The only other alternative to the HF3 would be - the MC3 haha. I'm not sure how big the difference is, but you can spend a little less, get similar quality and figure out if you actually would appreciate their neutral sound. Also keep in mind they now offer that very reasonable custom-fit program. I had to stop using my MC3s atm because I found the deep insertion was making my ears sore, but I'm considering taking up that offer haha.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
a_recording, I hadn't considered the fact that I wouldn't be able to use the buttons with an amp. Thanks for bringing that up! Everyone else: thanks so much for all of your help deciding. I really appreciate it. I'll post when I decide what I'm going to get.

No worries. : D If you're curious, I have a review of the MC3's linked in my signature. Otherwise, have fun thinking about how to spend money - for this is the Head-Fi Way!

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Hmm, do they differ a lot in bass department? The isolation + how durable they seem + not too high price here + what some say about their mids makes MC5 Very tempting for me, but I'm affraid they'll lack bass for me.
I hate how undecisive I am (until I see people around me who pay big $ for crappy things
wink.gif
).

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 17
I hear a very noticeable increase in resolution, presence and bass impact in moving from the hf2 to the ER-4P. In my opinion, they are not close, at least to the degree that any of the headphones we obsess over are "not close."

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 17
I would agree that the ER4P is still quite a bit better than the newer Etys.  I have the new MC3 which is great by budget standards.  Has the nice remote- great in a pinch for apple products.  But it really does pale in comparison to the ER4P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back