DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way hybrid universal IEM
Oct 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,006 of 1,058
Hey guys,

A long time lurker here :)

Just got myself DSG100 and a new brand spanking Fioo X1 and for my need they are excellent!

Definitely an upgrade from Xcape Sunrise powered by old cowon iAudio player (forgot the model number, the really small one)

Just wanted to say thank you for the enthusiasm you guys have here to share the good news so we can just google and follow these recommendations lol.

Cool guys, take care!

Benny

They are very enjoyable and addictive, but make sure to get the best out of them by burning them in for at least 60 hours, plus.....

Glad you enjoy them as much as myself and others.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #1,007 of 1,058
So I have returned my pair as faulty. If I have understood pennon correctly, the manufacturer declared they are fine. Which they definitely where not. Right earpiece produced noise and distorted sounds on high frequencies.

I suspect incorrectly manufactured or inserted balanced armature driver. I have burned them pretty extensively with white noise and heavy bass music for more then 140 hours. It did not help, neither did tip rolling, different sound sources including hifi amplifier and different tracks. So definitely faulty, but I suspect according to SIDY it's within the manufacturing quality margins. They have sent me this diagram, but I'm not sure what should I look for.

I was also unable to get them work with music which includes cymbals. The sibilance and noise created was uncomfortable, and for me is a sign very low grade sound reproduction. The vocals were also very muted. The only impressive thing I have found in the end was the punch of drums. No tip rolling or EQ setup helped to improve the sound qualities to an enjoyable level.

Thankfully pennon has returned all costs, including shipping back costs, so amazing customer support from their side.

I'm considering keeping my cheap creative iems as sibilance seems to be a problem of many interesting iems, like GR07. And that is definitely not something I would consider high quality music reproduction.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,009 of 1,058
Just got these in (Thanks spurxiii and H20Fidelity)

Initial impressions:

Have to say mid-bass is tolerable, just a bit too much whilst having troubles seperating it from the other frequencies. (ASG-2 has very impactful mid-bass but seperates it very cleanly from other frequencies)
Treble is nice! I dig it. Airy and extended
Mids are a little bland/dry, no real euphonic quality to it. Detail (if you listen closely) is quite good. 

Soundstage is nothing to write home about - width is average, depth is pretty good.

I like them at this point, but they definitely aren't a game changer... I'd take the DN-1000's over these for sure. Might have a A/B listen with my GR07 since they seem to be on the same playing field, ASG-2 blows these away (but at $400 that's expected)
I'm glad you like them. Just curious, what source are you using?

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,010 of 1,058

Haha, thank you!
Hope the money stays in there after this lol

Also thanks, @1clearhead!

....Glad to help.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,011 of 1,058
I'm jamming Ed Sheeran through my H3, and it was sounding fabulous. I almost always wonder or thing to myself "I wonder how this would sound with my DGS100". Popped them in and played "Nina" and it reconfirmed why I like my DGS100. I will admit that time I've spent with them, they DO NOT play everything well. Some stuff does sound off with the amount of midbass these guys have. But when you play this stuff with the right gear and with the right genre of music, its epic, and why it's still my number one.

I hope Sidy improves on these with the DGS200. A little less mid bass in exchange for some more sub rumble. That's all I want differently. Rumor has it however that they will use the TWFK armature and a bigger driver. Sounds like they have the same thing in mind, to fix the things we see as flawed.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,012 of 1,058
Hisoundfi, what do you like about the DGS100 in comparison to the H3? I'm pretty much in agreement 100% with everything you've said about the DGS100 and even bought them based on your impressions. Right now I'd say they're my most enjoyable IEMs to date. Prior to owning these I'd say the FXZ200 was my favorite as their effortless bass reproduction beats everything I've heard- only thing that could make them better would be the clarity and detail characteristics of a BA...hopefully this will be the DGS200 :D

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,013 of 1,058
Hisoundfi, what do you like about the DGS100 in comparison to the H3? I'm pretty much in agreement 100% with everything you've said about the DGS100 and even bought them based on your impressions. Right now I'd say they're my most enjoyable IEMs to date. Prior to owning these I'd say the FXZ200 was my favorite as their effortless bass reproduction beats everything I've heard- only thing that could make them better would be the clarity and detail characteristics of a BA...hopefully this will be the DGS200 :D
The DGS100 and H3 are comparable in mid bass presentation. Both are warm sounding hybrids.

Sound quality...

The Sony H3 is superior in soundstage and seperation. The DGS100 is superior is transparency, detail, and treble extension.

Build quality...

The Sony H3 has a better cable that is detachable (and comes with two cables).

The DGS has a better housing (aluminum) as compared to the plastic bulky shell of the H3

Ergonomics...

The H3 is comfortable, but they are bulky, and getting (and keeping) a good fit and seal can be a PITA.

The DGS100 is a pretty straight forward design and can be worn over or under the ear. I can pop them in over the ear and forget about them. They cable is pretty decent and doesn't tangle easily. It's all around easier to use and transport.

Isolation...

Both of these have vented dynamic drivers so driver flex isn't an issue. Also, the vented driver allows a little bit of outside notice to get in. A positive for both is that the bass presentation on both drowns out ambient noise and works great when commuting.

Overall, I prefer the DGS100 because to my ears it sounds like a more refined H3. They don't fall behind the H3 in soundstage and seperation by very much, and pull ahead of the H3 in just about every other SQ criteria.

Also, the DGS100 is flat out easier to use. It's less bulky, and easier to get and maintain a git fit.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,014 of 1,058
The DGS100 and H3 are comparable in mid bass presentation. Both are warm sounding hybrids.

Sound quality...

The Sony H3 is superior in soundstage and seperation. The DGS100 is superior is transparency, detail, and treble extension.

Build quality...

The Sony H3 has a better cable that is detachable (and comes with two cables).

The DGS has a better housing (aluminum) as compared to the plastic bulky shell of the H3

Ergonomics...

The H3 is comfortable, but they are bulky, and getting (and keeping) a good fit and seal can be a PITA.

The DGS100 is a pretty straight forward design and can be worn over or under the ear. I can pop them in over the ear and forget about them. They cable is pretty decent and doesn't tangle easily. It's all around easier to use and transport.

Isolation...

Both of these have vented dynamic drivers so driver flex isn't an issue. Also, the vented driver allows a little bit of outside notice to get in. A positive for both is that the bass presentation on both drowns out ambient noise and works great when commuting.

Overall, I prefer the DGS100 because to my ears it sounds like a more refined H3. They don't fall behind the H3 in soundstage and seperation by very much, and pull ahead of the H3 in just about every other SQ criteria.

Also, the DGS100 is flat out easier to use. It's less bulky, and easier to get and maintain a git fit.

+1

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,015 of 1,058
# 204  - Italy 
beerchug.gif

​I still can not listen to without equalizer to balance  medium-low veil.

Big changes in the first 100 hours of burn-in. Now there are about 150

I will give yet another 100 hours and then see if it is possible go listen without equalizer.

In any case, however, sound great 
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,016 of 1,058
  # 204  - Italy 
beerchug.gif

​I still can not listen to without equalizer to balance  medium-low veil.

Big changes in the first 100 hours of burn-in. Now there are about 150

I will give yet another 100 hours and then see if it is possible go listen without equalizer.

In any case, however, sound great 
wink.gif

Are you using it with the default foam tips from Sidy? I think these will work best for a great balanced sound signature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back